FamiStudio 2.0.0 Released!

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

bleubleu

FamiStudio 2.0.0 Released!

Post by bleubleu »

Hey guys.

FamiStudio 2.0.0 was just released, it has tons of new stuff so I thought id start a new thread. If you have any issues or questions, please post them here, ill check from time to time.

New features:
  • More audio expansions: FDS, MMC5, VRC7, Namco 163 & Sunsoft S5B.
  • Real-time expansion instrument parameters
  • NSF import
  • Note drag & drop with audio preview
  • FamiTracker FTM import
  • ROM export
  • Fine pitch effect track
  • New tempo mode
  • PAL support
  • FamiStudio text import/export
  • Custom pattern settings and loop point
Here is a new Tutorial if you want to get started.

-Mat
dougeff

Re: FamiStudio 2.0.0 Released!

Post by dougeff »

cool, thanks.

Have you ever considered making a SNES tracker?

Or Gameboy tracker?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
bleubleu

Post by bleubleu »

dougeff wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:11 am cool, thanks.

Have you ever considered making a SNES tracker?

Or Gameboy tracker?
I saw on Twitter you were starting to play with SNES lately. Cool stuff!

Honestly no. I starting this thing for my little game because i couldnt feel creative inside a tracker. But it kind of became a 1-year side-project. Im actually dying to get back to real NES dev real soon, so I dont see SNES or GB in my future.

That being said, its open source, anyone can rip the UI and change the sound engine behind it. It would be fairly easy.

-Mat
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Does this program support MIDI import or not?
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Looks awesome, thanks for making this!

I see that there's information about a not-very-functional linux build. I'm intrigued -- I'll have to play with that later when I get some free time.
bleubleu

Post by bleubleu »

lancuster wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:21 pm Does this program support MIDI import or not?
No unfortunately. This version does support a very simple text format for import/export, so if you are comfortable with basic programming, you might be able to create yourself a simple conversion tool?
gauauu wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:34 pm Looks awesome, thanks for making this!

I see that there's information about a not-very-functional linux build. I'm intrigued -- I'll have to play with that later when I get some free time.
Yes, it is sort-of working, but it not nearly polished enough for me to want to release it. All the low-level stuff (OpenGL, audio, etc) is working. What needs to be polished is basically all the user input, dialogs, etc. I wont bore you with the details, but I use OpenTK for Linux/Mac which gives me a basic OpenGL window. For dialogs I had to resort to GTK 2.0, an old version, and I cant upgrade now. So i have 2 different window system that dont talk to each other and need to set proper Z-order and things like that so that dialogs appear on top of the main window. It shouldn't be to hard, I hacked it on mac and it feels very polished. On Windows its all native stuff like Direct2D, XAudio2, etc.

If you want to help, please do get in touch with me on github so we can work on a plan, there is definately demand for a Linux version! For a linux guy (which i am not), i think a few evenings or a couple weekends would be enough to create a rough first version.

Proof, that was last week i think:

-Mat
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

bleubleu wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:34 pm
If you want to help, please do get in touch with me on github so we can work on a plan, there is definately demand for a Linux version! For a linux guy (which i am not), i think a few evenings or a couple weekends would be enough to create a rough first version.
Awesome. I don't want to promise anything, as I tend to take on too many hobby projects already. But I'm excited to take a look and see if it would make sense to help. I'd definitely enjoy having a linux version.
bleubleu

Post by bleubleu »

gauauu wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:26 am Awesome. I don't want to promise anything, as I tend to take on too many hobby projects already. But I'm excited to take a look and see if it would make sense to help. I'd definitely enjoy having a linux version.
No pressure! Take a look and let me know. Or if you happen to know a motivated linux expert, spread the word :)

-Mat
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Oh man, yeah, something is janky with the linux dialogs. On my machine, once one opens, it's all over. The mouse is constrained to the original window, and nothing (in the dialog or the original window) responds to any input. If I get some time, I'll try to figure out what's going on in the code, but the weird combination of OpenTK and GTK might be beyond my skill/knowledge.

Either way, I appreciate you making this, and even attempting to support linux.
bleubleu

Post by bleubleu »

gauauu wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:58 pm Oh man, yeah, something is janky with the linux dialogs. On my machine, once one opens, it's all over. The mouse is constrained to the original window, and nothing (in the dialog or the original window) responds to any input. If I get some time, I'll try to figure out what's going on in the code, but the weird combination of OpenTK and GTK might be beyond my skill/knowledge.

Either way, I appreciate you making this, and even attempting to support linux.
Haha thanks for trying it at least!

Yeah, im sure there is a way to make it work, but it wont be pretty. Look at what i did for Mac, I manually z-order windows making calls to AppKit directly, its incredibly ugly, but it work :) The idea would be to do the same with whatever is common behind OpenTK and GTK. :)

-Mat
ne7!

Post by ne7! »

it's really incredibly cool of you to make this and provide it for free, I've just been getting back into nes music making and really looking forward to giving this a spin :)
\o_
--------------
ne7/dcs^scoopex^triad^napalm
bleubleu

Post by bleubleu »

ne7! wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:03 am it's really incredibly cool of you to make this and provide it for free, I've just been getting back into nes music making and really looking forward to giving this a spin :)
\o_
Thanks, please dont forget to give feedback and report bugs! :)

-Mat
bleubleu

Post by bleubleu »

FamiStudio 2.1.0 was just released.

New features:
  • First Linux release
  • Trackpad controls
  • Note snapping in the piano roll
  • New time format (MM:SS:mmm)
  • Command-line interface
  • Import of instruments from any supported format
  • Duplication of patterns in the sequencer
  • Mix paste
  • Improved WAV export
  • FamiTone2 sound effect export support
  • Support for pasting text values in envelopes (comma, semicolon, space, tab or newline seperated)
  • PAL native authoring for FamiStudio tempo
  • MacOS+Linux MIDI keyboard support
  • Shift+Space plays from the beginning of the song
  • Alt+Right click up/down as an alternate zooming method
Video trailer:

-Mat
dink

Post by dink »

Very awesome project! The piano roll editor is _fantastic_ :)
bleubleu

Post by bleubleu »

FamiStudio 2.2.0 was just released.

New features:
  • Recording mode to record note-by-note using MIDI controller or QWERTY keyboard
  • Arpeggio support
  • Official FamiStudio Sound Engine release
  • Follow mode
  • Displaying the piano roll view range in the sequencer
  • FDS disk export
  • Basic tutorials for first time users
  • Error logging when importing/exporting files
  • Wav export loop count
  • Option to disable dragging sounds when a song is playing
Video trailer:

-Mat