Sound Nes Megaman 4

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

kevinibujes

Sound Nes Megaman 4

Post by kevinibujes »

Greetings, could someone help me with some advice on how to start learning to change the music of the megaman 4 nes rom. I have a project (Megaman 10 in megaman 4 rom) slow for years but I am managing to change all the graphics of the stages, now what I want is to learn to change the music of each stage. I have the NSF of the megaman 10 music. But I know that it is not a question of transferring them but doing it manually. I'm new to this so if someone help me with how to get started to make that change of music I would be grateful.
kuja killer

Re: Sound Nes Megaman 4

Post by kuja killer »

you might want to try reading about this first, it's pretty advanced though.
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/274/
kevinibujes

Post by kevinibujes »

Hi kuja killer, I'm your fan :shock: I was looking for how to contact you and wao you answered me. Well yes, I just read the document and the truth is if it is advanced. But this document is mainly to start learning how the music business is going? Or there is another way to start to know how to master how to change the music of each stage. I think it is a dream to be able to fulfill that wish. Since I admire the work of many fans.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The problem with changing the music in a game is that there's no standard format for songs on the NES, each game has its own audio driver and song format, so you can't simply take the songs from an NSF (which uses sound driver "A") and put them into a game (which uses sound driver "B"). You have 2 options:

1- Rebuild the songs from scratch according to the format expected by the sound engine that the game already uses. If you know that there game's sound engine supports all the features you need, and it has already been reverse engineered and documented, then this is probably the easiest way.

2- replace the game's sound engine with the one from the NSF. This can be really hard to do, because the new engine may need more RAM, ROM or CPU than the original one did, in which case you'll have a really hard time hacking it in, if it's even possible at all.
kevinibujes

Post by kevinibujes »

Thank you very much for your answer, so in this case how should I start to learn to change the music from scratch in the megaman 4 nes rom? I have several documents but I need to know how to start learning in order to change them.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

kevinibujes wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:04 pm Thank you very much for your answer, so in this case how should I start to learn to change the music from scratch in the megaman 4 nes rom? I have several documents but I need to know how to start learning in order to change them.
It's not an easy task. You must create an environment for editing 6502 ASM code. Yup, you will need to disassemble the entire game, and the ability to recompile it. Once you know the source code, it's pretty easy to replace the music - usually, banks within frequency values.