turning nsf file to bin for .incbin

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Kitty_Space_Program

turning nsf file to bin for .incbin

Post by Kitty_Space_Program »

Im new so I'm sorry of this is a dumb question, but I couldn't eem to find any information on it. I wrote a song on deflemask (because I don't have access to a windows computer that is less than 16 years old at the moment) and that program lets me export it as an nsf. I was wondering if there would be a way to get just the sound data out of it to put it in a larger program using .incbin?
dougeff

Re: turning nsf file to bin for .incbin

Post by dougeff »

NSF format doesn't really conform to any real NES mapper. It's sort of a mixed bag of all possible sound systems. so... I'm going to say that it can't be done.

I think you would need to redo it in Famitracker, and export it as .bin
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

If you have a standalone NSF file that doesn't use expansion sound or bankswitching, you can convert it into a ROM - look for VegaPlay.

You can probably weave a game around it, but it'll be a challenge to treat the NSF as a black box and not step on its toes.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

dougeff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:07 pmNSF format doesn't really conform to any real NES mapper.
There is a relatively new real mapper that was built around the NSF format, and there have been several releases using it.

I built the EZNSF and ZENSF projects specifically to facilitate making NES cartridge albums out of NSFs.

Regarding OPs question: depending on the NSF it might be quite easy to use it in a game, if you know what you're doing. Depends on what the NSF needs. Banking is the big one, but there are other considerations and I'm not going to spell them all out here. Yes it can be done, but it requires a bit of knowledge and experience about what to do, there's no automated process that will automatically just work...

However, since you said you made it in Deflemask, maybe it would be a better approach not to deal with the exported NSF, but instead work with the original source, where you have a lot more options. Probably the easiest option is just to transcribe the Deflemask tune into Famitracker, and then use one of the several available Famitracker-based music engines for your game (Famitone, GGSound, Pently, etc.)
Kitty_Space_Program

Post by Kitty_Space_Program »

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of. I can’t stand famitrackers ui and the adsr is a big oof, plus having to use musical typing is excruciating. And using wine isn’t helping any of that lol.