My attempt at making a very good song.

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

LucianoTheWindowsFan

My attempt at making a very good song.

Post by LucianoTheWindowsFan »

Hi! So I used arpeggios, triangle drums, duty cycles, and DPCM melody samples.
This is my attempt to make a better song.
Seems like I'm joining the Follin Bros. (at least)
I'm having a lot of talent for music like this.
Attachments
GoodSongExample.ftm
(5.06 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
The SNES is my favorite console, not only because it is an upgrade to the NES, but because it had some quality games as well (e.g. EarthBound and Kirby's Dream Land 3).
Bregalad

Re: My attempt at making a very good song.

Post by Bregalad »

Sorry for being pendentic, but using more effects never does and never will make a song "very good".
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

I used to think I had no ear for music, but I was wrong.
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

I think it is hard to judge it without context. If it was to be a background song to a level in a game, it would probably be a little too crazy and repetitive. But maybe played during a short intermission/cutscene, some character tripped and rolled down a big hill in a funny way for example, it could work quite well. What kind of game is it for, is it an RPG, shoot-em-up, a puzzle? Is it silly or serious? It helps with writing music to start with the context first, then write the music to fit that.

Writing music can be a very personal thing and criticism can hurt. Even constructive criticism doesn't feel too good. But like any art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it is critical not to blame people if they don't like your work. You should appreciate and study people's natural reactions when they are good and bad. Don't blame them for showing how they felt. Some will like it and some won't, you won't please everyone. There sure as heck is a lot of music I don't like, whole genres in fact, but there are plenty of others that do like it. Keep trying.