I finally got a way to fix the triangle channel bug in Ufouria!

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

LucianoTheWindowsFan

I finally got a way to fix the triangle channel bug in Ufouria!

Post by LucianoTheWindowsFan »

Hi! So I looked at the data for Ufouria and found a way to fix the triangle channel bug.
I made an FCEUX cheat to fix this bug: 0087?00:17
Now how do I fix this in the ROM itself?
The SNES is my favorite console, not only because it is an upgrade to the NES, but because it had some quality games as well (e.g. EarthBound and Kirby's Dream Land 3).
Ben Boldt

Re: I finally got a way to fix the triangle channel bug in Ufouria!

Post by Ben Boldt »

I am pretty sure I remember that the English conversion of Hebereke on romhacking.net fixes the triangle channel of the title screen.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1798/
LucianoTheWindowsFan

Ben Boldt wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:13 pm I am pretty sure I remember that the English conversion of Hebereke on romhacking.net fixes the triangle channel of the title screen.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1798/
Yeah. The founder of TCRF did it first. Now I wanted to fix it in the ROM without cheats.
The SNES is my favorite console, not only because it is an upgrade to the NES, but because it had some quality games as well (e.g. EarthBound and Kirby's Dream Land 3).
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

I worry about your RAM modification to $87 because it seems the game writes and reads lots of information to this location. What you are trying to do is change an initialization to get the triangle channel running in 1 specific case. But modifying RAM this way is something that is active all the time, even after initialization... So I worry that it will have unintended consequences elsewhere that you haven't found yet.

In the readme of the Hebereke English translation, they give some info how they fixed it:
BMF54123 wrote:- The triangle channel was missing entirely from the game's title theme. Sunsoft forgot to set some parameter at the start
of the song, so you'd have to go into the password screen and back out (or get a game over) to hear it. Rather than
dissect the hopelessly complex sound code, I decided to just shove the correct parameter into RAM before the song starts.
Maybe you could contact BMF54123 and see if you could get some more info. If that isn't successful, you could compare the translated ROM to the original Hebereke ROM to try to find the difference and then do the same thing in your Ufouria ROM. Since this is a translation and not a hack, it might be easier than you think to review all code changes. As stated in the readme, they grew the ROM size to store their English text. That will probably make it even easier to separate out that new chunk of ROM and whatever bits of code they adjusted to tie into that, theoretically leaving only the title screen modifications.

I figured out how to translate that mysterious message at the end of the readme... It left me with nothing but more questions...

I am a little bit curious why you want Ufouria when we have this great English translated Hebereke, especially since your avatar has Hebereke eyes. Is it about having the PAL version or is it about having a more complete collection? Or does Ufouria have nostalgic values not matched by Hebereke? I am always curious about people's intentions with this stuff.
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:34 pmI looked at the data for Ufouria and found a way to fix the triangle channel bug.
I made an FCEUX cheat to fix this bug: 0087?00:17
I like Ufouria!

Could you tell us more how you found the cheat?

(Did you find out what address 0087 controls? Did you find any documentation about the Ufouria or Hebereke music format somewhere? Did you find any interesting fourm posts or discussion about the missing triangle channel somewhere?)

As Ben Boldt quoted, the triangle channel is missing only from the first instance of the title screen after a reset. For example, going to the password screen, then exiting back to the title screen restores the triangle channel of the title screen music. Perhaps investigation about what the code does differently on reset and on exiting the password screen could lead to a more robust fix?
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

I tracked down how the english translation does it and made the same change for Ufouria, please see attached IPS files.

The change here does propagate to $87. It ends up writing an $FF instead of $00 at certain times, not sure how that works. But I noticed almost right away that 0087?00:17 did mess up the noise channel and this fix (attached) does not have that problem.
Attachments
U-four-ia - The Saga (E) [!] - Triangle.ips
(29 Bytes) Downloaded 173 times
Hebereke (J) - Triangle.ips
(29 Bytes) Downloaded 181 times
LucianoTheWindowsFan

Ben Boldt wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:40 am I tracked down how the english translation does it and made the same change for Ufouria, please see attached IPS files.

The change here does propagate to $87. It ends up writing an $FF instead of $00 at certain times, not sure how that works. But I noticed almost right away that 0087?00:17 did mess up the noise channel and this fix (attached) does not have that problem.
Thank you. Now you might submit them to romhacking.net.
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:09 am
Ben Boldt wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:40 am I tracked down how the english translation does it and made the same change for Ufouria, please see attached IPS files.

You actually did most of the work tracking it to $87. I would have had nowhere to start looking without that.

I just opened up 2 FCEUx's side by side one with Hebereke (J) and the other with Hebereke (J) translated. I put a breakpoint on each for writes to $87 and stepped them both in sync. After a few breakpoints, I saw where the translation wrote FF and the original wrote 00, and I just tracked back where that FF came from.

If you want to submit it to romhacking.net under your name, feel free to do that. You did the hard part.
LucianoTheWindowsFan

Ben Boldt wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:23 am
LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:09 am

You actually did most of the work tracking it to $87. I would have had nowhere to start looking without that.

I just opened up 2 FCEUx's side by side one with Hebereke (J) and the other with Hebereke (J) translated. I put a breakpoint on each for writes to $87 and stepped them both in sync. After a few breakpoints, I saw where the translation wrote FF and the original wrote 00, and I just tracked back where that FF came from.

If you want to submit it to romhacking.net under your name, feel free to do that. You did the hard part.
Thanks. I now submitted it on romhacking.net under my name. Now I should wait for it to be approved.
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:35 am Thanks. I now submitted it on romhacking.net under my name. Now I should wait for it to be approved.
Great! Good luck :)
LucianoTheWindowsFan

Ben Boldt wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:08 pm
LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:35 am Thanks. I now submitted it on romhacking.net under my name. Now I should wait for it to be approved.
Great! Good luck :)
It is now approved: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5533/
ailI

Post by ailI »

Tangential, but did anyone make a patch to fix the DPCM bit order?
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

naI wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:15 pm Tangential, but did anyone make a patch to fix the DPCM bit order?
I haven't heard of this; do you mind describing what is wrong? I am intrigued how Sunsoft DPCM bass could be improved in some way.

Edit:
Found this, NO WAY, not sure I believe it yet:
https://twitter.com/moviemovies_one/sta ... 7267513344
Last edited by Ben Boldt on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Here's the thread about it: viewtopic.php?t=20308
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

lidnariq wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:59 pm Here's the thread about it: viewtopic.php?t=20308
Oh my god that is totally crazy, I never would have guessed. WOW