Ppmck help on vrc6 noise?

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Juanreina

Ppmck help on vrc6 noise?

Post by Juanreina »

Hello to all nes dev members! I am new to the forrums. I come on behalf of a friend who's blind, so he uses ppmck to write music. However, we are having some trouble with vrc6 rapid noise and how to use it. Issue is, that if he uses the at command to tern on rapid noise, it errors out. He is using laytest ppmck as far as I know, though if anyone can point me to newer versions, forks, branches etc, that would be grately appreciated. I'd really appreciate any help on the code as it regards to vrc6 and rapid noise, as looking at the ultimate ppmck reference doesn't look like it's helping. Thanks in advance for any help, Juan Reina.
lidnariq

Re: Ppmck help on vrc6 noise?

Post by lidnariq »

But the VRC6 doesn't have a noise channel?
Juanreina

Post by Juanreina »

Sorry about that, I ment with having the vrc6 chip enabled. I can post the mml so you can see what I mean.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Juanreina wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:29 am Sorry about that, I ment with having the vrc6 chip enabled. I can post the mml so you can see what I mean.
I take this to mean that having the VRC6 enabled makes it impossible to set the NES's builtin noise channel to the 93-bit "looped" mode (as opposed to the 32767-bit "standard" mode).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Juanreina

Post by Juanreina »

Yes. I nead to know how to do looped noise. I also have this version of ppmck I found, can someone tell me where I could get newer versions of ppmck from? And if it's possyble to do looped noise on this version at all.
Attachments
ppmck-9a_6.2 and documentation.7z
(279.02 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

Juanreina wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 am Yes. I nead to know how to do looped noise. I also have this version of ppmck I found, can someone tell me where I could get newer versions of ppmck from? And if it's possyble to do looped noise on this version at all.
The simple way to make looped noise is to use D16 on the D channel. It's also possible by using the EP macro, which would allow the musician to make a "pitch envelope" that switch between looped and non-looped mode as well as change the pitch. In a EP macro, a 16 increment activate the looped noise, and with a -16 increment you revert back to regular noise.

Hope it helps.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
Juanreina

Post by Juanreina »

Thanks @Jarhmander, it works. Does anyone knows where a lator version of ppmck is other than the one I posted?
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

Juanreina wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:24 am Thanks @Jarhmander, it works. Does anyone knows where a lator version of ppmck is other than the one I posted?
Difficult to say, but I guess here's the latest version: https://github.com/munshkr/ppmck. It seems there's only a Linux release and you should compile from source if you want a Windows binary. If you can't do this for some reason I can cross-compile it for you.
Juanreina

Post by Juanreina »

@Jarhmander, thanks very much! I sadly don't have the knowhow to compile ppmck, so if you could cross compile for windows and linux , that would be awesome! Much thanks to you again friend!
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

I had a pretty busy week. Thank you for your patience.

In the attached zip file there are binaries for Linux and Windows. For Linux, the helper script mknsf can be used, but on Windows it is not directly usable and you'll need a POSIX shell which can be found in Cygwin, MSYS2, in "bash" supplied with "Git for Windows" or WSL (the Windows Subsystem for Linux) to run it. Be reassured, mknsf is merely an helper and in no way necessary to use ppmck, as you can just execute manually the various commands to produce an NSF file.
Attachments
ppmckc-9a-ex11_3.zip.md5.txt
(55 Bytes) Downloaded 111 times
ppmckc-9a-ex11_3.zip
(298.38 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Juanreina

Post by Juanreina »

Thank you so much, Jarhmander! No worries, it's all good.