Music speed weirdness using Famitone2's text2data.exe

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

Music speed weirdness using Famitone2's text2data.exe

Post by tokumaru »

I'm trying to convert a song made in Famitracker to use with Famitone2, but something incredibly weird is going on... The song uses Fxx effects every row to control the playback speed, but after using text2data.exe all the Fxx commands are ignored and the song plays at the default speed of 6.

By removing all the Fxx commands and re-adding them one by one from the start of the song, I noticed that only when used in specific rows does the effect cause the problem I described. If I skip those rows, the remaining speed changes work as expected.

The source .txt files differ only by the Fxx in one of those problematic rows, everything else is identical. The files that text2data.exe outputs are significantly different, with lots of data missing from the file with the problematic effect and some data missing from the file without the problematic effect (when compared to the other file).

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Is this really a bug in text2data.exe or am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
lidnariq

Re: Music speed weirdness using Famitone2's text2data.exe

Post by lidnariq »

Yes, I remember reading of someone having the problem recently. <searches posts>
Here, Goose2k: viewtopic.php?t=20128
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Thanks for finding that, I probably didn't search for the correct terms. Sadly, no fix has been found besides redoing the song... :(
bleubleu

Post by bleubleu »

I fixed at ton of issue with the original FT2 exporter in FamiStudio. If you want to give it a try for your conversion, that might be worth a shot. 100% of the FamiTracker features supported by FT2 are supported.

- FTM/Text import doc : https://famistudio.org/doc/importexport ... -or-binary
- FT2 export doc : https://famistudio.org/doc/importexport ... music-code

Also there is command line support to automate things.

-Mat
calima

Post by calima »

If it's truly better, would be nice to have a standalone command line text2data replacement (without all the other parts of a tracker ;)). Though being in C# is a minus.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

bleubleu wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:34 pmI fixed at ton of issue with the original FT2 exporter in FamiStudio. If you want to give it a try for your conversion, that might be worth a shot. 100% of the FamiTracker features supported by FT2 are supported.
Cool, I'll take a look!