Question about nsf files

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Kitty_Space_Program

Question about nsf files

Post by Kitty_Space_Program »

So, I’m wondering if nsf files have a standard or usual way they store the music data? I would like to add the music from an nsf file to a larger program and I’m not sure of any other way to export it (I didn’t have access to famitracker when I wrote it) I’m sorry if this is a dumb question, I’m just not sure how to transfer it short of manually entering it into famitracker (though I half way know that’s probably what I’m gonna have to do) ;-;
lidnariq

Re: Question about nsf files

Post by lidnariq »

Kitty_Space_Program wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:17 pm So, I’m wondering if nsf files have a standard or usual way they store the music data?
No, each replayer (Nerdtracker, Famitracker, Deflemask, Pently, and all the engines used by commercial games) uses its own encoding
I’m just not sure how to transfer it short of manually entering it into famitracker
Rainwarrior wrote a variant of Famitracker that can import NSFs, but its output is the fully-cooked result (what you hear, not what you entered into the engine)
Kitty_Space_Program

lidnariq wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:28 pm but its output is the fully-cooked result (what you hear, not what you entered into the engine)
What do you mean by that?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Any kind of envelope will be represented as effects, not as Famitracker instrument envelopes.

Best way to find out it to try it yourself. It's probably still better than manually transcribing things.
Kitty_Space_Program

So I’ve tried it and for some reason it has turned the sections of 64 lines into sections of 02a0 lines. Is there anyway to compress it down to 256 or something? I’m really not sure what’s up with my nsf file.
KayBur

Post by KayBur »

Wouldn't a regular file converter work? Sometimes it works, but you need to look at the type of converter, what files it converts and whether it distorts the quality after conversion.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

KayBur wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:28 am Wouldn't a regular file converter work? Sometimes it works, but you need to look at the type of converter, what files it converts and whether it distorts the quality after conversion.
We're not dealing with WAV/MP3/OGG/WMA files here, but a custom data format used by Famitracker, and I highly doubt that any existing general-purpose software is going to have any idea what to do with it...
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
KayBur

Post by KayBur »

Quietust wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:28 am
KayBur wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:28 am Wouldn't a regular file converter work? Sometimes it works, but you need to look at the type of converter, what files it converts and whether it distorts the quality after conversion.
We're not dealing with WAV/MP3/OGG/WMA files here, but a custom data format used by Famitracker, and I highly doubt that any existing general-purpose software is going to have any idea what to do with it...
I just assumed that you can try to see the functionality of other converters. You never know, will come across something suitable.