NES 7bit pcm to 8bit pcm (update)

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

nintendo8

NES 7bit pcm to 8bit pcm (update)

Post by nintendo8 »

I wanted to make a parody of action 52 and I needed the "choice your selection now" sample and I found out that bit 7 was always set to zero so the audio did not sound quite right and what this program does it simply bit-shifts the input to the left by one so the audio sounds correct and is at the proper volume
There are two ways to run it the first way is to simply drag and drop a file onto the program it will automatically add _output before the file extension
or if you wish to specify a different output simply create a batch file following this format

Code: Select all

nes7to8pcm.exe "input" "output"
and if you wish for the program to say press any key to continue instead of exit after conversion add the word pause at the next line after the line that calls the program.
So like this

Code: Select all

nes7to8pcm.exe "input" "output"
pause
Anyways here is the program I have also included the source code.
Note I have updated this version if you have downloaded "NES 7bit pcm to 8bit pcm.zip" please re download you should have: "nes7to8pcm.zip"
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k3dbql8rzolj1if
Last edited by nintendo8 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

That is too long name. Perhaps call it "nes7to8pcm" so that you can type in "nes7to8pcm" and the filename input and output on command-line. Why do you want to create a batch file with a single command with the hard-coded input and output filenames?
Drag

Post by Drag »

zzo38 wrote:Why do you want to create a batch file with a single command with the hard-coded input and output filenames?
Probably because it's easier to double click on a batch file than it is to bring up a commandline and type it in manually. Especially since this program requires two parameters, so a simple drag and drop won't work.

I do the same thing when I want to compile my 6502 code, and I add "pause" because I want to see the assembler's output. :P
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Use something like I did with a few extra libraries and find the last . and then chop everything before it off into a new string and then append an extension and the word "Output" to it. Much simpler. Example zip NES ROM splitter:

http://nintendoagemedia.com/_usermedia/ ... adNES3.zip

And yes, that name is so long I would rename the file for sure to something way shorter.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Drag wrote:Especially since this program requires two parameters, so a simple drag and drop won't work.
It can work, if you use the same filename and only change the extension for output. I've done this with batch files several times.
nintendo8

Post by nintendo8 »

Thank you for your suggestions I have added the ability to drag and drop a file onto the program it will simply add _output before the file extension and I renamed the exe file to nes7to8pcm.exe so if you want to run this from command line there is less typing.