Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

MP2E

Re: Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Post by MP2E »

teknix1 wrote:Awesome work, thanks for your hard work Kev!

Any chance someone could comment on my wavy lines (missing pixel) issue at the top of the image? Are people not having the same problem? If so, is it just not bothering you or is there a way to make it better?

Thanks
Nic
I had the same issue with v2.25, v3.0 beta seems to fix it!

Thanks kevtris! This update is really great. Fixes lots of things :)
teknix1

Post by teknix1 »

I had the same issue with v2.25, v3.0 beta seems to fix it!
Oooohh! I can't wait to get back home to try this! I really appreciate the reply.

Thanks
Nic
MP2E

Post by MP2E »

No problem!

kevtris, could the Sunsoft 5b expansion sound be increased in volume? I turned the volume slider all the way up to FF, but it's really quiet, it was the same with v2.25.

Thanks!
Last edited by MP2E on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

Thank you so much Kevtris! The sound for FDS games now sounds great and not "off" to me. I really am loving this HiDef kit!
teknix1

Post by teknix1 »

Well I just installed V3 and the missing pixel/wavy lines issue is unfortunately still there. I'm not too surprised, I don't think anybody had mentioned it before. Kevtris, any chance this is something that could be fixed in the next version? This happens will all my televisions at home.
Attachments
Missing pixel causing wavy lines
Missing pixel causing wavy lines
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I don't remember where, but it's been mentioned. That's not a problem with yours, that's all of them.

Seems like it might be fixable with a quick hack, but for now you could just blank the top three lines.
teknix1

Post by teknix1 »

Yup, I realize that it's happening to everyone but as per the last comment, I had hopes this would be gone with V3. I had a thread on shmups about this issue way back before the Hi-Def NES days when I was doing NESRGB. I'm just thinking it would be great if the kit could simply add the missing pixel or just blank it so the image is stable, otherwise the top rows are just wasted. I would much rather see them if possible. Anyways just a thought since I found this development thread. I hope it makes it to the TODO list at some point.

Thanks to all!
Nic
fintogive

Post by fintogive »

Hey Kevtris got a quick question for you. ive heard that the hdmi nes mod chip has the foot prints for the copy nes but there is no hardware revision with a usb port yet.

so my question is can a usb be soldered on the chip manually in order to use the copy nes function?

also when is a usb port revision going to happen? it would be convenient to have for updating without having to have an everdrive or power pak and an optional ram dumping to hack games and make cheat codes would be cool if possible.

ive been holding out from getting one of these cause it doesn't have the copy nes feature and ive been waiting for a possible revision.
MP2E

Post by MP2E »

Hmm odd, I think perhaps my crop settings were already set to cut those pixels out. My apologies
teknix1

Post by teknix1 »

No worries. I was just stoked to get an update. Perhaps it will make it in the next release.
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

fintogive wrote:Hey Kevtris got a quick question for you. ive heard that the hdmi nes mod chip has the foot prints for the copy nes but there is no hardware revision with a usb port yet.

so my question is can a usb be soldered on the chip manually in order to use the copy nes function?

also when is a usb port revision going to happen? it would be convenient to have for updating without having to have an everdrive or power pak and an optional ram dumping to hack games and make cheat codes would be cool if possible.

ive been holding out from getting one of these cause it doesn't have the copy nes feature and ive been waiting for a possible revision.
it's in there but you'd need to write the PC side host code. the existing host code won't work. I tested a "proof of concept" and used it to dump a few carts so I know it works well enough for that.

usb port upgrades will never happen. the FPGA is 99.5% full, and the ROM with the firmware has 32 or so free bytes left. The chips are used to the absolute maximum and nothing else can or will be added. I had a hard time making the last round of bug fixes and had to perform a featurectomy to make them fit. I removed the mostly useless "interpolation" settings.
/* this is a comment */
fintogive

Post by fintogive »

kevtris wrote:
fintogive wrote:Hey Kevtris got a quick question for you. ive heard that the hdmi nes mod chip has the foot prints for the copy nes but there is no hardware revision with a usb port yet.

it's in there but you'd need to write the PC side host code. the existing host code won't work. I tested a "proof of concept" and used it to dump a few carts so I know it works well enough for that.

usb port upgrades will never happen. the FPGA is 99.5% full, and the ROM with the firmware has 32 or so free bytes left. The chips are used to the absolute maximum and nothing else can or will be added. I had a hard time making the last round of bug fixes and had to perform a featurectomy to make them fit. I removed the mostly useless "interpolation" settings.
ah ok. well what about a FPGA that can handle more commands and larger flash memory? then a usb port could be implemented? if a usb port isnt going to happen thats fine i have a copy nes mod chip i installed awhile back. i was just hoping for a 2 in 1 console :P anyways thank you for the reply Kevtris ill go on and order one once you release your latest firmware.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Get an Analogue Nt mini if you want a bigger FPGA.
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

kevtris wrote:Well here it is, after 14 months!

http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/HiDef ... 20beta.nes

Changes:

* Audio DC level restoration to fix some monitors that'd be silent or have other weird audio volume issues.
* FDS channel redone to be hopefully more accurate.
* DPCM fixed to allow retriggering.
* Address bus filtering fixed so that graphical/palette glitches should be a thing of the past.
* PAL pixel capturing fixed.
* 4 new palettes added.
* Removed interpolation and associated menu. I needed the logic gates in the FPGA to fix the other things.

I tested 5 sets of PAL chips- 1 set always worked, but the other 4 had minor to very severe "speckling". These are all working perfectly now.
I tested 3 sets of "laser H rev" parts as found in the newest AV famicoms (I think) and they are all working perfect now as well.

This should fix all the problems people had I hope.

This update is a beta because I am not 100% sure I didn't break something else relating to DPCM, so if I did please let me know.

The four new palettes are:

Firebrand X NTSC
Firebrand X PVM D93
RGBSOURCE Hybrid
RGBSOURCE NESCAP

The original 4 palettes are still in there of course.

Hope that's enough because this thing is fulllllllll up. There is absolutely no room left anywhere. I have scavenged it all. btw,
the xray mode is "free" so it doesn't use any logic elements. It's the internal decisions being made about the HQX stuff. It's basically detecting edges.
Between the inclusion of the RGBSOURCE Hybrid palette, which comes very close to my CRTs and the purplish-blue tinted SMB sky, and the fixing of the firmware to work with laser-marked rev. H PPUs (again which I have), I was very pleased upon reading this update!
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

I slightly changed the way DPCM works, so it should be correct now with regards to retriggering it. It will only retrigger now if the sample is done playing, instead of retriggering no matter what.

Also, I bumped the volume up by a factor of 4 for sunsoft 5B since it was kinda quiet.

I noticed something really weird though with DPCM. I have a laser H rev CPU here and the DPCM is... corrupt on it sometimes. I tested with the 2.25 rev of firmware and it does it there, too so it isn't something new I introduced.

Using a legit SMB3 cart, it works fine- DPCM drums play OK, game works fine. I tested both composite and Hi def outputs.

Using a powerpak, though (with powermappers) DPCM is kind of broken. Samples end earlier than they should, like the length isn't being programmed right. The analog audio coming out of the CPU is broken in the same way, and watching the CPU bus the sample fetching just stops! I am at a loss as to what's going on here. Needless to say, it only happens with one specific CPU chip out of the dozen or so test samples, so I am not sure what's going on. I am suspecting the chip might be flaky somehow.

Anyways, here's the latest update:

http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/HiDef ... 0V3.01.nes
/* this is a comment */