Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

thomas83lin

Re: Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Post by thomas83lin »

I noticed some hi def boards are different colors than the one I have, which is blue. Is there any difference on the revisions besides the hdmi connector placement. Any pro or cons from one to another.
Check out my WiiU\Wii\VC\Wiiware Codes from me Here or get my codes on the Geckocode Database Here
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

So in the end, I'm not sure what caused the kit to not work on my initial NES, but i went and got another second hand NES and installed the kit into it and it works. Will carefully look over my old board to see what the heck could have gone wrong. Sadly, the interposers snapped in two when i was trying to remove them from the board so i had to pick up another kit, but that is not the fault of Kevtris or GameTech. More end-user fault so no hard feelings. I'm loving this thing now and can't wait to really play with it this evening instead of shoveling a foot of snow. (God bless the USPS for delivering the kit to me despite the blizzard warnings).
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

I've just completed my first install, but it's giving me some problems, although I'm not sure if it's due to the AV Famicom itself or the Hi-Def NES. I gave the console a quick test before proceeding with the install and it seemed to be working OK, but now I have an issue where it will boot maybe once in 20-30 attempts and I've no idea why. I did think it was perhaps just a dirty slot connector, but I've given it a thorough clean (it wasn't too bad anyway) and it still has issues. Another thing that makes me think the cart slot isn't the issue is that when it does boot, I'll turn the console off and on again straight away and it doesn't work.

I checked the CPU and PPU and they both seem to be H rev. and aren't laser marked. I'm also 99% sure the issue isn't with the install work, as it's probably the cleanest job I've ever done and when the console does boot, it works just fine.

In terms of investigating it, I just checked to see that the Hi-Def NES was receiving 9 volts which it is. I have noticed that when the console fails to boot, the orange LED on the Hi-Def NES is on constant low brightness and when it does boot it pulses and is far brighter (pic below is when it has booted).

Any ideas on what I can do to get it working reliably would be appreciated.

EDIT: Hmmm, I had ordered two boards and swapped the main board around and the second one works flawlessly every time. Have many people had issues with faulty Hi-Def NES boards? I'll try the one I've been having problems with in another console and see if the issue persists.
Attachments
20170212_202818[1].jpg
inGGames

Post by inGGames »

game-tech.us wrote:If your ppu is non rev that's prolly the issue, rev A pal ppu seems to be more compatible.
I need to look to see if i have a non rev i can get to Kev for testing.
I have just opened up my third PAL NES and there was no REV A chip inside! :( So if you need a RP2C07-0 for testing let me know and I'll ship one over to you if it isn't too expensive(I checked, I think it will be cheap enough for me to forget about it).
game-tech.us wrote:It's not just the red kits, it's certain PAL ppu chips, rp2c07-0 revs seem to be the worst. Adding a .1uF cap on the ppu clock pin to gnd seems to help a lot, but we'll get Kevtris to look at it closer.
I was recently reading this and saw in the notes section about how the clock cycles differ between NTSC and PAL CPU/PPUs...
* On NTSC systems, the PPU divides the master clock by 4 while the CPU uses the master clock divided by 12. Since both clocks are fed off the same master clock, this means that there are exactly three PPU ticks per CPU cycle, with no drifting over time (though the clock alignment might vary depending on when you press the Reset button).
* On PAL systems, the PPU divides the master clock by 5 while the CPU uses the master clock divided by 16. As a result, there are exactly 3.2 PPU ticks per CPU cycle.
Forgive me for asking, but does the Hi-Def NES account for the different CPU & PPU clock cycles for a PAL system? I'm assuming it does, but thought I would ask.
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

I can also send in a rp2c07-0 ppu, hell the entire console if you want. But please try to work this out. :|
mario64

Post by mario64 »

In videos from the NT Mini, it seems those Hi Def NES boards have more features and options than the stand alone boards. Has there been any word from Kevtris on when he'll be releasing a firmware update to bring parity between the two?
inGGames

Post by inGGames »

NightHawk wrote:I can also send in a rp2c07-0 ppu, hell the entire console if you want. But please try to work this out. :|
I'm assuming that they would also need the CPU from the PAL system.
flamepanther

Post by flamepanther »

mario64 wrote:In videos from the NT Mini, it seems those Hi Def NES boards have more features and options than the stand alone boards. Has there been any word from Kevtris on when he'll be releasing a firmware update to bring parity between the two?
That's because the Nt Mini doesn't use a Hi-Def NES board at all. The whole system is based on a bigger, more expensive FPGA.

Kevtris has said that the smaller FPGA used by the Hi-Def NES kit is already maxed out, so there's no way to bring the current boards to parity. He's also said he has no intention of making the kits with a more expensive FPGA. So other than bug fixes or the unlikely possibility of removing old features, we'll have to be happy with what we've got.

I would love to have more palette options though.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

flamepanther wrote:
mario64 wrote:In videos from the NT Mini, it seems those Hi Def NES boards have more features and options than the stand alone boards. Has there been any word from Kevtris on when he'll be releasing a firmware update to bring parity between the two?
That's because the Nt Mini doesn't use a Hi-Def NES board at all. The whole system is based on a bigger, more expensive FPGA.

Kevtris has said that the smaller FPGA used by the Hi-Def NES kit is already maxed out, so there's no way to bring the current boards to parity. He's also said he has no intention of making the kits with a more expensive FPGA. So other than bug fixes or the unlikely possibility of removing old features, we'll have to be happy with what we've got.

I would love to have more palette options though.
Ahh ok. Didn't realize that. Thank you. I too would like more palettes, esp NES Classic and FirebrandX
flamepanther

Post by flamepanther »

mario64 wrote: Ahh ok. Didn't realize that. Thank you. I too would like more palettes, esp NES Classic and FirebrandX
I'd like to have a couple of the FirebrandX palettes, the RGBSource "Hybrid" palette, and the Sony/Consumer/CXA2025AS palette. I'd be willing to give up the black and white palette if there isn't room.
mqarkcambie

Post by mqarkcambie »

Well, I tried the capacitor, and it made my NES produce a solid grey screen.
Removing the capacitor returned it back to normal. So - for me it didn't work.

It would be nice if Kevtris could at least let us know if he's willing to investigate this issue.

I feel like this kit wasn't sold to me on the understanding that it might not be 100% compatible with a PPU that seems to be very common in my territory.

Of course Europe only enjoyed sales of around 8 million compared to the 30 million the US got - but that's still quite a user base.
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

Well, no PAL support = no money to Kevtris & any installer. So he has to decide.
mqarkcambie

Post by mqarkcambie »

I've caved in and bought an NTSC "Kit" of a NTSC PPU + CPU and some crystals from ebay. I'll just convert my console to NTSC.

My reason for doing this is that I would really like to play some of the Japanese games properly so having a PAL console was always going to prevent this anyway.

So in a few weeks time, I'll have found a way around the problem - but the problem will still exist for others.
inGGames

Post by inGGames »

mqarkcambie wrote:I've caved in and bought an NTSC "Kit" of a NTSC PPU + CPU and some crystals from ebay. I'll just convert my console to NTSC.

My reason for doing this is that I would really like to play some of the Japanese games properly so having a PAL console was always going to prevent this anyway.

So in a few weeks time, I'll have found a way around the problem - but the problem will still exist for others.
Can you share the link for these kits? I was thinking about doing this but haven't ever seen the NTSC chips for sale anywhere.
inGGames

Post by inGGames »

inGGames wrote:Can you share the link for these kits? I was thinking about doing this but haven't ever seen the NTSC chips for sale anywhere.
Oh wait, are you referring to this from ebay.com ? If so, would it not be cheaper to buy a NES from the states and salvage the chips that way?