Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Re: Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Post by game-tech.us »

flamepanther wrote:
flamepanther wrote:So, I'm still a few days within the warranty for my Hi-Def NES upgraded Analogue Nt. It's a second run unit with composite video support--for which I only recently got the required video cable. I just found out the RCA audio jacks don't work. Analogue Support is trying to tell me Kevtris' HDMI upgrade isn't compatible with analog sound. I'm pretty sure that's BS, right?
They've outright deleted my support ticket now. I guess I won't be getting any support (or any other future products) from them.

I've opened my NES plenty of times, but never the Nt. Does anyone know if their HDMI kit differs from the others in any way? Or can it be transplanted?
The hi-def kit only does digital audio/video, the analog stuff is straight from the cpu/ppu AFAIK.
The nt hi-def kit is powered from the console so r35 jumper resistor is missing, no biggie, and there another resistor that sets it to an nt version with it's specific menu title. That's the only diffs I know of.
flamepanther

Post by flamepanther »

game-tech.us wrote:
flamepanther wrote:
flamepanther wrote:So, I'm still a few days within the warranty for my Hi-Def NES upgraded Analogue Nt. It's a second run unit with composite video support--for which I only recently got the required video cable. I just found out the RCA audio jacks don't work. Analogue Support is trying to tell me Kevtris' HDMI upgrade isn't compatible with analog sound. I'm pretty sure that's BS, right?
They've outright deleted my support ticket now. I guess I won't be getting any support (or any other future products) from them.

I've opened my NES plenty of times, but never the Nt. Does anyone know if their HDMI kit differs from the others in any way? Or can it be transplanted?
The hi-def kit only does digital audio/video, the analog stuff is straight from the cpu/ppu AFAIK.
The nt hi-def kit is powered from the console so r35 jumper resistor is missing, no biggie, and there another resistor that sets it to an nt version with it's specific menu title. That's the only diffs I know of.
Thanks!

So if my analog audio doesn't work, that means it's defective or they purposely disabled it for who knows what reason...
game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us »

[quote="flamepanther"
So if my analog audio doesn't work, that means it's defective or they purposely disabled it for who knows what reason...[/quote]

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with the nt to give you an answer honestly...
flamepanther

Post by flamepanther »

game-tech.us wrote:
flamepanther wrote: So if my analog audio doesn't work, that means it's defective or they purposely disabled it for who knows what reason...
That's completely understandable. But it doesn't disable the RCA audio on a stock NES or Famicom, correct?
game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us »

flamepanther wrote:
game-tech.us wrote:
flamepanther wrote: So if my analog audio doesn't work, that means it's defective or they purposely disabled it for who knows what reason...
That's completely understandable. But it doesn't disable the RCA audio on a stock NES or Famicom, correct?
Correct.
Lesale

Post by Lesale »

Mikklos wrote: Can you provide me with a serial number for that pal nes? Doesn't need to be precise, just roughly in the millions. I have a pal with the "bad" ppu but I'm trying to narrow down the search for a good one. :-)
The serial number in my NES-ESP-2 is PE5744876.
bjorncollaer

Post by bjorncollaer »

Hi,

the past few months I've been trying to source a pal ppu to work with the Hi-Def Nes kits i have.

these type of pal consoles do not have the 'A' revision PPU RP2C07A

PAL DUTCH - NESE-001 (HOL) sn: PE28**924 / PE34**284 / PE21**957 / PE15**605 / PE28**924
PAL ITALIAN 'MATTEL' - NESE-001 (ITA) sn: PM02**41
PAL FRENCH 'SECAM' - NESE-001 (FRA) sn: PE35**641

I also went to a retro game console shop here in Belgium where I could open up the consoles they had, 11 in total
all were PAL DUTCH - NESE-001 (HOL) and none of them had the 'A' revision PPU RP2C07A

hope this helps if you want to buy a console with the needed revision ppu, do not choose one of the above ...
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

So PAL people are pretty much screwed...
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

I've tried installing the Hi-Def in a PAL NES, but I'm getting a bad image which is flickering between a good image and the one below, tested fine running on composite after I socketed it. I'm assuming it's the PPU issue mentioned above, but thought I'd check to see if it's consistent with what other people are experiencing. Will try adding a cap to pin 18 tomorrow to see if and how well it fixes it. I did try swapping the crystal and installing an NTSC CPU and PPU, but kept getting a grey screen for some reason.

CPU: RP2A07
PPU: RP2C07-0

They are from a UK PAL console, serial number PM572816. I do have another PAL set from a French NES (PE4731293), but the PPU is the same revision.
Attachments
20170303_134249.jpg
mqarkcambie

Post by mqarkcambie »

Do we know if Kevtris has had the time to look at our PAL problem?

Any sort of estimate of how long it might take to be addressed?

I was just wondering from a previous comment - once the HDMI board has worked out what chipset/video format you have, if you try to change it wihtout performing some sort of factory reset - is this why you can suffer the grey square on your HDMI output?

I suspect that when I get around to fitting NTSC CPU PPU and crystals I'll just end up getting the Square so I'll be no better off.
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

Bump
kjetil_f

Post by kjetil_f »

Been testing the kit a bit more and it seems like my Hi-Def NES (PAL-B, rev-0 cpu/ppu) doesn't like Blaster Master, Batman: The Video Game and Little Samson. The games are flickering the same way most of my Everdrive-games do. And it's even worse with Super Mario Bros. 2 and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. Been testing the games in another NES, and they all work fine. They do seem to work fine in composite-mode on my Hi-Def NES as well, but for some reason the composite mode are much worse after the kit installation, so it's not really a alternative playing any of the games that way. Do anyone else have any issues with the composite mode after installation?
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

Sorry I been scarce awhile. I was working 12 hours a day getting that nt mini out the door last year and the start of this year. Those that don't know, this is a multiplatform FPGA videogame system I designed. It nominally plays NES but can play all my other cores too (well mostly).

Anyways, I have been working on the hi def, fixing bugs tonight. So far, I have squashed the following bugs:

* DC level on the audio causing audio to be silent until i.e. some sound effect plays on certain models of monitor (I'm looking at you, ASUS). The fix removes the DC offset, which should fix this.

* FDS audio channel not being right. This was fixed now too, so it should sound correct in i.e. Bio Miracle. I am not 100% sure it's perfect since I can't play the second track of the NSF. It crashes the NSF player on the powerpak. Though the first sounds fine which is also tricky to get working.

* DPCM fix. The dog now barks 3 times in duck hunt, and paperboy has the proper DPCM sound effects now. The issue with both was that they don't write 0 to 4015 bit 4 to retrigger the channel, they just write 1F to 4015 to trigger it. So that was a fairly easy fix.

* Palette screwiness. On some chips (laser marked H rev PPUs, PAL PPUs, and the twin famicom (though it has not been tested on this yet but this SHOULD fix it)) the palette wouldn't work properly, and the screen would look screwed- tiles would be right but colours would be waaay off. This appears to be fixed now, it was caused by my address bus filtering being wonky, so I fixed that up and it seems to have fixed those issues.

I still have 1 bug left, on some PAL PPUs, there are speckles on the screen. I am not sure what is causing this, except it looks like the video coming out of the chip is a bit faster than other chips, so I think adding a bit of delay should fix it. I will use J4 on the board to enable this delay if this is what fixes it.

To make these fixes fit, I had to remove the interpolation setting, which I highly doubt anyone used. The FPGA is reporting in at 100% full now, so these fixes better be it, because there's no more gates left! I will remove the menu entry for it, too.

I might be able to stuff a few more palettes in, like 2-3 more. which ones should I include? This is probably the last thing I can add because the ROM inside is full up too. This design is using literally every resource available on the FPGA now.
/* this is a comment */
bjorncollaer

Post by bjorncollaer »

Hi Kevin

Great to hear you have an idea on the PAL glitch bug ...

When the new firmware is available i'll be happy to test it , i have 4 different (Dutch, German, French, Spanish) pal consoles ready with the hi-def nes kit installed.

:lol:
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Hi Kevin,

Let me first say I love my HiDefNES kit. Every time I load it up I'm blown away. If I can make a suggestion on Palettes maybe one of FirebrandX's palettes would make sense to add to it.

http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html Maybe the PVM Style D93, or Composite Direct palettes would be one of the options to add. Since they're both geared towards matching the hardware on modern displays. If just one palette could be added I'd probably vote for the PVM Style D93 from Firebrand X.

Thanks for your amazing work!
John