Anyone Interested in a Combined NES + Gameboy Cart?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

tsu

Re: Anyone Interested in a Combined NES + Gameboy Cart?

Post by tsu »

Could this flashcart's expansion audio volume be made to sound the right level regardless of whether a 47k ohm resistor or 2 were done to the nes? I only added one, but 2 was said to be accurate.
MarkVI

Post by MarkVI »

I would very much be interested in such a flash cart, and I sincerely hope you can find the time and resources to make it happen. I started following your stuff a few months ago when hearing about the Hidef NES, and since then I've watched all the video updates and related postings by Game-tech. You have a highly detailed grasp of the NES architecture and it seems you're more capable than most others of releasing a device that would be compatible with a maximal number of mappers.

Anyways, I'm new to this whole nesdev site, but I just wanted to voice my support. Plus, all of the recent attention I've paid to NES modding has inspired me to spend more of my free time on electronics and hopefully be able to learn some Verilog and maybe build a buggy FPGA NES myself.
80sFREAK

Post by 80sFREAK »

Is there any limitation(Everdrive has 512/512, so R4MI is out) on ROM size?
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

80sFREAK wrote:Is there any limitation(Everdrive has 512/512, so R4MI is out) on ROM size?
kevtris was talking about using 16Mbytes of DRAM, so that would be the limit.

In related news, I don't think it has been mentioned on the NESdev forum at all, but there has been a renewed (or first time?) appeal from the community for kevtris to produce his FPGA console in some form.
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970 ... me-system/

In my opinion, this would be far more interesting than a new Flash cart. It would have the same mapper support, a bigger FPGA (maybe more possibilities), very solid NES core, emulates many other systems besides NES, HDMI and analogue output.. I've been seeing him work on the thing in person over the years, and it's really awesome. It would cost more than a stripped-down NES Flashcart, but considering what else you get for it, I think it could be a really good deal. I think buying the Flashcart and HDMI kit together might cost about as much as buying the console. For people who like carts, he's working on an add-on system where you could add cart ports to the console, too. Not just to dump and run games like the Retron5, but actually running the cartridge directly.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Memblers wrote:In my opinion, this would be far more interesting than a new Flash cart.
I agree, specially if we get GB/GBC. Isn't bunnyboy close to releasing his own FPGA console, though?
fys

Post by fys »

tokumaru wrote:
Memblers wrote:In my opinion, this would be far more interesting than a new Flash cart.
I agree, specially if we get GB/GBC. Isn't bunnyboy close to releasing his own FPGA console, though?
He's releasing a NES.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

tokumaru wrote:Isn't bunnyboy close to releasing his own FPGA console, though?
Yeah, the AVS, I've barely followed news on it, but I was able to try it at the Midwest Gaming Classic convention earlier this year. It was out of the case, so I had a chance to get a look at the board, from what I recall it didn't look like it had a memory card connector or additional RAM you'd expect to be needed to emulate any cartridges, and I believe it only takes NES/Famicom controllers, so my assumption is that it's just made to take NES and Famicom carts. It seems to do it well, using a PowerPak I threw some 'tough' games at it like Micro Machines and I didn't notice anything inaccurate. The case designed for it looks pretty good. I'd say it's in competition with kevtris' HDMI mod kit more than his console.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I see... So bunnyboy is taking a more purist approach.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

Memblers wrote: In my opinion, this would be far more interesting than a new Flash cart. It would have the same mapper support, a bigger FPGA (maybe more possibilities), very solid NES core, emulates many other systems besides NES, HDMI and analogue output.. I've been seeing him work on the thing in person over the years, and it's really awesome. It would cost more than a stripped-down NES Flashcart, but considering what else you get for it, I think it could be a really good deal.
I agree, this would be certainly more interesting. Although I'm sure people will want to see more system cores like Sega Genesis, SNES, NeoGeo, etc.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

MottZilla wrote: I agree, this would be certainly more interesting. Although I'm sure people will want to see more system cores like Sega Genesis, SNES, NeoGeo, etc.
Yeah, those are all systems that kevtris has mentioned on AtariAge as being goals, as well as C64 and other computers. Not easy ones if it's to be accurate, but if anyone can do it, I'm sure he can. And these systems pretty much set the specs for his latest hardware, the memory bus should be fast enough to support TG16/PCE, and wide enough to support NeoGeo. For a while already he's had SNES audio working, playing SPC files.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

I think there would be a lot of interest in such a system being able to support all those platforms and not via software emulation. It certainly does seem like it would be quite a lot of work to get the 16-bit systems working accurately.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Memblers wrote: In my opinion, this would be far more interesting than a new Flash cart.
Interesting, but not more so than a new flashcart IMHO.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Pokun wrote:Interesting, but not more so than a new flashcart IMHO.
Really? If my understanding is correct, his console eliminates the need for a Flash cart, given that it also simulates mappers and probably loads games from files. I think that's more interesting than a 3rd Flash cart.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Well if it's accurate, it's certainly interesting for the future (who knows how long my old Famicom is gonna hold). But my Famicom is working fine at the moment.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

As far as NES/Famicom goes, it's very likely to be accurate as we have so much technical information including chip die photos and study. I'm not sure about more complex systems like PC-Engine, SNES, NeoGeo.