After NESRGB mod, graphics are glitching [Solved here]

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

waldquelle

After NESRGB mod, graphics are glitching [Solved here]

Post by waldquelle » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:33 am

Hey guys

I have a PAL Nes Frontloader here and modded it with the NESRGB board. Since then the graphics are glitchy. The games are playable and the sound is great. I tried 2 games so far. In both cases i get the same graphic issues.

Graphics from Super Mario
03.png
Graphics from New Zealand Story
01.png
I changed the 72 pin connector, cleaned everything (cardridges and connector) with isopropanol. Problem persists. The glitches are not even changing. I think the connector or the cardridges aren't the problem.

Maybe some of you saw this glitches before and can give me a hint. Any help is appreciated.
Regards

Ice Man

Re: After NESRGB mod, graphics are glitching

Post by Ice Man » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:25 am

Did you desolder and solder PPU properly? Might've been damaged by the mod.
Any pictures of the inside would help more as this mod is not really easy.

Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:14 am

A picture of the install would help with troubleshooting. Did you short jumpers J7 and J4 for your PAL setup?

waldquelle

Post by waldquelle » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:24 am

Hey guys

I used for desoldering a desoldering gun. A cheap one. A ZD-985 to be exactly. I tried to not heat up the PPU to much and I didn't pull or swing to much on it to get it out.
Yes, jumpers J4 and J7 are soldered.

I attached 3 pics. If you need more just ask for it :)

Regards
Attachments
WP_20160407_011.jpg
WP_20160407_010.jpg
WP_20160407_001.jpg

Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:26 am

I would suggest desoldering the PPU and restore it to the mainboard, but you soldered the PPU into the NESRGB. It is odd that the NESRGB creator does not provide a socket for the PPU to go into on the front loader kit whereas he does on the other kits.

Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:58 am

There's really not much interior clearance in the front loader to accommodate a socket for the RGB board itself, unless you perform some creative trimming. I like to snip the tops of the pin headers so the PPU seats flush over them, nothing in the install instructions on Tim's website really mentions anything about that.

I see what look like a few awkward solder joints, pin hole 23 of the RGB board for the PPU. Pins 11, 17-19 of the PPU don't look good either. Wouldn't hurt to touch up all the solder joints before resorting to desoldering the entire PPU to test it.

waldquelle

Post by waldquelle » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:51 am

Good news, i found it. I resoldered all pins like Bratwurst suggested. While resoldering Pin 29 on the PPU I noticed that the solder isn't flowing around the leg. So I did continuity measures. It seems that on Pin 29 on the NESRGB Board the circuit path is broken. I made a bare wire bridge and now it works! Heureka!

For me it's a little embarrassing that I had to open a new topic for such a little problem.
However, thank you for your time and your answers.

Regards, waldquelle