Pirate Gradius 2 glitched. Possible fix??

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Fisher

Pirate Gradius 2 glitched. Possible fix??

Post by Fisher »

Hello.
I got a pirate Gradius 2, and it's very weird!!
Instead of a VRC clone, it has an unidentified mapper, a PAL, a 74HC4020 and an extra EPROM:
Mounted pirate Gradius 2
Mounted pirate Gradius 2
Better resolution: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0OtM ... WZZWk4wM1U

Board, componnent side:
Pirate Gradius 2, component side
Pirate Gradius 2, component side
Better resolution: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0OtM ... VFDWEFIWFk

Board, solder side:
Pirate Gradius 2, solder side
Pirate Gradius 2, solder side
Better resolution: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0OtM ... mVOQ1h6VVE

So far, so good! The game is playable and I could finish it (cheating), but it has this annoying bug:
https://youtu.be/x1Dpdv9KTlg

And a interesting fact about it is that with the GameGenie the bug is very less noticeable:
https://youtu.be/aPpO6EAS2ns

I've dumped the ROMS and CRC32 checked them against the originals, the CRC32 matches.
I've dumped the extra ROM, I'll put on the next post.
Could this bug possibly be fixed? How?
What does the extra ROM does? Is it sort of a trainer? Is it used to initialise the PRG RAM?
Why the Game Genie, even without inputing any codes, does this? I have even seem some pirate games just crash or reset while with the Genie. Does it causes some kind of delay?
Many thanks in advance!!
Last edited by Fisher on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fisher

Re: Pirate Gradius 2 glitched. Possible fix??

Post by Fisher »

As promised, the extra ROM.
Attachments
GR2EXT.bin
Pirate Gradius 2, extra ROM
(2 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Fisher wrote:an unidentified mapper, a PAL, a 74HC4020
Which means that the unidentified mapper is almost assuredly a VRC2.

It tentatively looks like the UVEPROM contains a 2 KiB monolithic (CPU A0..A10 are connected to the UVEPROM pins in order) patch that the PAL swaps in when necessary, containing whatever magic is necessary to make this work with a 4020 counter instead of a real VRC4 IRQ generator.

Do you have the ability to dump the contents of the PAL?
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

this rom,I guess emu in nestopia plus!
20160530173613.png
If you feel there is a problem, please provide the DUMP :PRG.BIN, CHR.BIN, EXT data to me.

PRG.BIN Must be different from the original !
byemu

Post by byemu »

The biggest DIP40 IC is the vrc clone(without IRQ)
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Sorry Lidnariq... I tink I just can't dump the PAL contents :-(
Unless there's a way to dump it like a ROM, with some pin modification on the reader. I just could not find a good reader that's simple enough to build myself...
Please, if you know some simple one, preferably that connects to the paralel port, tell me. :wink:
Maybe the mapper and the circuit is similar to his one: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13270

Zxbdragon, I think the ROMs are already dumped and are fine, since they have the same CRC32 that's listed on BootGod's site. Maybe the bug is a problem wih the cartridge's IRQ generation.
The weirdest thing about this is that the bug is almost gone when the game is used with a Game Genie. :shock:

Byemu, I suspected this. I even think that this mapper chip is the 23c269, like the one in the post I linked above. I think a good test would be to try that Batman's ROMs on this board, to see if my theory is correct.
Joe

Post by Joe »

The 2kB EEPROM looks like it makes a nice patch over the last 2kB of the PRG ROM.

I haven't looked at the board layout yet, but I suspect the PAL could be dumped like a ROM once we figure out which pins are inputs and outputs.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Because it's a PAL16L8, I was going to say what Joe said; you should be able to read its contents as though it were a ROM. Hopefully they're not using any of the internal feedback paths in the logic matrix.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Here's the traced pinout of the PAL16L8:

Code: Select all

.--V--.
     M2 -> | 1 20| -- +5
/ROMSEL -> | 2 19| -> PRG /OE
CPU A14 -> | 3 18| -> PATCH /OE
CPU A13 -> | 4 17| -> RAM /CE
CPU A12 -> | 5 16| ?? nc
CPU A11 -> | 6 15| -> 4020 CLR
CPU R/W -> | 7 14| <- 4020 Q11
PPU A13 -> | 8 13| -> /IRQ
PPU /RD -> | 9 12| -> CHR /OE
    Gnd -- |10 11| <- nc
           '-----'
I'm really not clear why they didn't use the VRC2 knockoff's CHR/OE output. (PRG/OE makes sense given the patch ROM)

The 4020 is clocked by M2, so Q11 should go high after 2048 cycles; approximately 18 scanlines.

Why the Game Genie, even without inputing any codes, does this? I have even seem some pirate games just crash or reset while with the Genie. Does it causes some kind of delay?
If you look at the Game Genie PCB, they've got a funny little circuit (R1 & D2) to keep the cart from seeing M2 while it's still in the code entry screen. Once it's in normal operation, the diode becomes a tiny varicap (reverse biased diodes are effectively voltage-dependent capacitors) which will delay M2 just a teensy bit ... in simulation, it's only about 1ns.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Cool!!
So I just need to plug the inputs on the adress bus and the outputs on the data bus to dump it, right?
Does the sequence I assign the pins matter? I'm thinking to use the lower bits of the address and data bus first, so I may end with a duplicated memory dump, wich don't matters much, I think...
I'll try to dump it as soon as I can!! :P

So, in this case seems like the pirates are basically making a VRC4 game work with a VRC2 clone!!
I' ve read somewhere that this game has some kind of protection that if not matched the ship simply explodes!! :shock:
The patch may be to avoid this and keep the game playable on the different mapper.
Maybe the key to fix this Gradius 2's bug should be to add a delay on M2 or on the IRQ?

About the games bugging with Game Genie, one of the games is Rockman 1, the other is Gradius 1.
Do they ever use M2? Does this M2 delay affects them somehow?

If needed I have scans of this Rockman's board here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0OtM ... zViWURYN2M
And here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0OtM ... nl5U1VScnM
I don't hava a scan of it assembled, but I remember it being made of LS chips, instead of HC ones and having a quartz window ROM, I think it was a 27C010.

I don't have scans for this Gradius, but it's a small 72 pin board with 2 blobs and a 74LS161.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Fisher wrote:So I just need to plug the inputs on the adress bus and the outputs on the data bus to dump it, right?
That's right.
Fisher wrote:Does the sequence I assign the pins matter?
Nope. Choose whatever makes sense to you.
Fisher wrote:About the games bugging with Game Genie, one of the games is Rockman 1, the other is Gradius 1.
Do they ever use M2? Does this M2 delay affects them somehow?
Rockman and Gradius both use simple discrete logic mappers (UNROM and CNROM) that don't require M2, so there's no reason for the pirate boards to connect M2.

Your Rockman board doesn't connect M2 to anything.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Fisher wrote:I'll try to dump it as soon as I can!!
I'd be idly curious to know if pin 16 (labeled "nc") is an input, output, or, just to be maximally inconvenient, both.
I don't have scans for this Gradius, but it's a small 72 pin board with 2 blobs and a 74LS161.
The original Gradius is CNROM, so that sounds like it's the same.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Finally I could get some free time and "dumped" this PAL chip. :P
PALGRAD2.BIN
Pirate Gradius 2 PAL16L8 "dump"
(128 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
I have not touched the file after the dump, so it has the full 128KB on it.
Here is the pinout I used to dump:

Code: Select all

.--V--.
     A0 -> | 1 20| -- +5
     A1 -> | 2 19| -> D5
     A2 -> | 3 18| -> D4
     A3 -> | 4 17| -> D3
     A4 -> | 5 16| ?? A10
     A5 -> | 6 15| -> D2
     A6 -> | 7 14| <- A9
     A7 -> | 8 13| -> D1
     A8 -> | 9 12| -> D0
    Gnd -- |10 11| <- nc
           '-----'
Hope I've done everything correctly and this helps solve this "riddle", and maybe fix the bug.
Thanks in advance!!
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Well, easy thing first: pin 16 (that you've connected to A10) is NOT used as an input. If it's easy for you to dump it again treating it as an output that might be informative. (Maybe, maybe not)

CHR/OE is just (PPUA13 OR PPU/RD), as expected.
/IRQ is just (NOT 4020Q11)
4020CLR is AND(M2, /ROMSEL, CPUA14, CPUA13, CPUA12, NOT CPUR/W) ... i.e. writes to $7xxx???
RAM/CE is NAND(M2, /ROMSEL, A14, A13, NOT A12), i.e. I/O to $6xxx.
PATCH/OE is NAND(M2, NOT /ROMSEL=0, CPUA14, CPUA13, CPUA12, CPUA11, CPUR/W), i.e. reads from $Fxxx
PRG/OE is NAND(M2, NOT /ROMSEL, CPUR/W, NOT PATCH/OE), i.e. reads from $8000-$efff.

Other than the IRQ acknowledgement (4020CLR), everything else makes sense.
Last edited by lidnariq on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Great work!!
So... It seems that pin 16 was nc.
I just messed up a little and soldered it to A10. :oops:
Would be easy to unsolder it from A10 and put it on D6 if needed. :)

I also would like to know how to figure these things out, if possible.
Is there some kind of software or it's just a matter or putting the binary data on a truth table and try to simplify the equations?
I 've read something about Karnaugh's map, but for now my work is consuming lots of time... :cry:
Well, at last I have a work and have some little time to search for random things on the web. :lol:
But to study and do some hacks/mods is a little difficult, because I need to pay attention on what I'm doing/reading and interruptions are error inductors to me. Maybe it's because I'm a newbie... :mrgreen:
Other problem is that most of the reliable information is in english, that's not my mother language, but looks like I'm becoming better on reading and understanding it!!