"File not found" when trying to upgrade Powerpak mappers?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

frantik

"File not found" when trying to upgrade Powerpak mappers?

Post by frantik »

I have an old Powerpak with ROM v1.10 and CARD v1.12

I wanted to upgrade the mappers to the most current ones (1.34) and then also add the "power mappers" for save state support.

I downloaded the mapper file from retrousb and copied the POWERPAK directory onto the flash card. Initially there was some weird issue with the cart only trying to load Tetris instead of showing the file list, but I seemed to get around that by deleting the "LASTNES.TXT" file. This seemed odd that the file from RetroUSB would have this problem but whatever, no big deal since I seemed to fix it and now the file list is showing.

But when I selected a file and tried to load the game, I get a "File Not Found" error.

I swapped the old POWERPAK (v1.12) folder back onto the flash card and it loads the files fine. Any idea what is going on? Everything I find on google suggests the problem is with the card, but if that's the case, why does it load fine with v1.12? I also tried putting the Power mappers on the card without upgrading the rest of the mappers to 1.34 and got the same File Not Found error.

Thanks for any help!
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: "File not found" when trying to upgrade Powerpak mappers

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Try the following, and test in steps:

1)make a copy of your original backup.
-paste in place & replace everything from the latest zip from retroUSB into that copy.
-move it to your compact flash.
-test

does it work?

2)then, paste in place & replace everything from the powermapper into that copy
-test

afaik the latest bootrom version is 1.12, the latest card version is 1.34
frantik

Post by frantik »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Try the following, and test in steps:

1)make a copy of your original backup.
-paste in place & replace everything from the latest zip from retroUSB into that copy.
-move it to your compact flash.
-test

does it work?
Wow, I didn't think that would work, but somehow it did! It still tried to load tetris directly after showing the power pak title screen.. it didn't work, then I reset, the screen said "fatal card error".. then i reset it again and it showed the file list, and now the files are loading. I guess deleting that LASTNES.TXT file was probably messing things up.

I think that LASTNES file is used with a new feature in 1.34 which loads the last game when you press the start button, but it shows the file list when you press any other key. I always press start from the title screen.. maybe if I had pressed another key after copying new POWERPAK directly it wouldn't have tried to load tetris, which I guess is some dummy value.

I then installed the Power mappers and they appear to be working too.. I'll have to try out the save states later

Thanks!

BTW is it possible to upgrade the ROM? I assume not.. is there even much difference between 1.1 and 1.12??
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Yeah i think you're right on the money that some persistent state got messed up. It's just less hair-pulling to do a clean install and hope it works before trying to figure it out and hand-edit it. :)
BTW is it possible to upgrade the ROM? I assume not.. is there even much difference between 1.1 and 1.12??
i think the bootROM needs to be flashed using something like kazzo or in infiniteNESlives' programmer. and you'd need to acquire the right .bin, and dump a backup image beforehand.

i've not seen any bootROM or pcb revision changelogs, so i'm unsure what a reflash would achieve.