NES Clone Jailbars

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

oldschoolgamer

NES Clone Jailbars

Post by oldschoolgamer »

Hi. So I have this very hard to get nes clone that seems to have 4 cables going to an rf tuner. Through trial and error I found out that one of the pins where the tuner goes in actually outputs composite video but I have slight jailbars on the screen. Is there a way to eliminate them such as lifting pin 21 or would that not make any difference?
krzysiobal

Re: NES Clone Jailbars

Post by krzysiobal »

add 100uF between +5V and GND close to the nes-on-chip glob.
oldschoolgamer

Post by oldschoolgamer »

I would also like to modify it to run at 60hz. I've seen people say lift pin 16 and connect it to 5v but this is a UA6538 PPU and people say that doesn't work if you do it with that. It has the CPU UA6527P.

https://s14.postimg.org/vhe3gdlf5/20180127_015029.jpg
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The decap'd UA6538 that barsmonster and others (edit: fixed my link) worked on analyzing shows that pins 14-17 should be the same function as the first-party 2C07, i.e. there's no way to change the frame rate.
Last edited by lidnariq on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldschoolgamer

Post by oldschoolgamer »

lidnariq wrote:The decap'd UA6538 that barsmonster and others worked on analyzing shows that pins 14-17 should be the same function as the first-party 2C07, i.e. there's no way to change the frame rate.
I suppose I'll try get my hands on an ntsc clone. I have one ordered from aliexpress that was cheap but it only has built in games and doesn't take carts.

I have an FC twin but it looks really oversaturated and odd looking unless maybe it's just ntsc colour. The snes portion of it is broken though and it looks extremely cheaply made. Also you have to use snes controllers on it.

I'd like to just own a real ntsc console but it'll cost me far too much to import one.