Weird famiclone with infrared controllers

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Ben Boldt

Re: Weird famiclone with infrared controllers

Post by Ben Boldt » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:23 am

Oh wow, that's great! I didn't have very high hopes because I had not heard of an IR receiver ever going bad before. Maybe it was the capacitors somehow too but anyway thanks for letting us know it worked out.

Hemming

Post by Hemming » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:56 am

Hi Again
I have just one more odd problem, when you use the infrared controller and press select button during a game it acts a reset switch and restarts the game.
Is this normal for this quirky famiclone?

nocash

Post by nocash » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:26 am

That is already mentioned in the schematic and in the posts on the first page. It should happen when pressing Select+A on the player 1 controller. It shouldn't happen when pressing Select alone.
Mis-triggering would probably also happen when pressing too many buttons, especially adjacent odd or even bits (like Up+Left or Down+Right), and it would depend on how fast and how many bits the game software is reading.
It's a weird design and I don't know how they could have considered the reset feature to be useful and stable.

EDIT. Ah, no, the 4094 contains separate shift register and output latch register (the current shift value copied to the output register via STRrobe pin). So that should prevent issues with things like Up+Left being pressed.
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty

Hemming

Post by Hemming » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:24 am

Hi
The select button resets the game without any other button being pressed?

krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:59 am

Check the voltage on pins 11 and 13 when:
* no buttons are presed
* when you hold only A button
* when you hold only Selectt button
* when both buttons are hold

Hemming

Post by Hemming » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 am

Hi
I have tried the voltage on the UA6581 Chip using the multi meter black probe on the ground leg of the UA6581 chip and the red probe on the 11 0r 13 legs of the chip and I cannot get any voltage readings even when pressing infrared the controller buttons.

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:14 pm

Hemming wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 am
Hi
I have tried the voltage on the UA6581 Chip using the multi meter black probe on the ground leg of the UA6581 chip and the red probe on the 11 0r 13 legs of the chip and I cannot get any voltage readings even when pressing infrared the controller buttons.
Do you check your voltmeter to a known voltage first to verify it is set up right? For example, you can connect to GND and VCC and it should read 5V DC.

nocash

Post by nocash » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:27 am

Hemming wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 am
Please take the time to look at the schematic, it's very clearly showing that reset circuit is wired to the 4094 chip, not to the UA6581 chip.
I guess you will also need to figure out the anti-clockwise pin numbering scheme, eg. have a look at the "4094 datasheet" to see which pin is where.
And, yes, start with measuring the voltage between VCC and GND to get familar with the multimeter. It should show something close to 5V (or 0V if the console is switched off).
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty