Help! CopyNES plugins for Mappers 176, 268, and extended CNROM (128KB CHR)

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

megasdkirby

Help! CopyNES plugins for Mappers 176, 268, and extended CNROM (128KB CHR)

Post by megasdkirby » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Greetings to everyone!

I recently got my CopyNES, installed it, and loving it. Managed to dump several of my games, though not knowing anything about NES programming, it can be a challenge!

In any case, I've encountered issues with dumping games with mappers 176 and 268, the Mindkids one.

First, let's start with 176. Many years ago, I picked up several bootlegs from a Chinese site. The boards states that it's model YH-2011A1, which is similar to KT-443B, which uses Mapper 176. And it seems that is the case, since if I dump the cart as an MMC3 (the INL dumper recognizes an MMC3 mapper) and changing the mapper to 176, the game menu appears and the first and third game plays, but the second one has graphic glitches and is unplayable. This makes me believe that I need an actual plugin for Mapper 176 so it can dump correctly. I've tried the other bootleg games with the same board, and it does the same thing: some games play, others don't (same symptom). Sadly however, i have not encountered a proper Mapper 176 plugin.

Second, mapper 268. I have several games that use the Mindkids board, including the Data East Collection by Retrobit. A friend with a CopyNES shared his plugin with me and was able to dump the game. It plays great. However, I noticed that the ROM size is 2MB, and I have a gut feeling that it may be an overdump. Same with other games I have with the same board...they work, but the size is always 2Mb. I would like to know of a way to dump these correctly, at the correct PRG size.

On another note, the size of the 268 plugin is limited to 2MB (2048KB), and there is one game cart I can't dump: the Super Games 150 in 1. It dumps it at the 2MB mentioned before, but the flash chip on the cart corresponds to 32MB, which is 16 times larger than the limit. I also need to know how to change the values so it can dump correctly.

Lastly, I'm trying to dump GALF (the LRG release) and the developer confirmed it's a CNROM game with 128KB of CHR. Problem is, the CopyNES plugin only does 32KB CHR, so it doesn't dump it completely. Does a plugin exist for this?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my lengthy post. Any help is appreciated with open arms! :)

Thanks!

P.S. I'm currently using CopyNES BLUE. Hope that helps.
Attachments
thum2bnail.jpg
thumbna3il.jpg
thumb3nail.jpg
thum3bnail.jpg
th3umbnail.jpg

NewRisingSun

Re: Help! CopyNES plugins for Mappers 176, 268, and extended CNROM (128KB CHR)

Post by NewRisingSun » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:39 pm

Mappers 176 and 268 normally only dump with CopyNES in my experience.

I wll send you a mapper 176 CopyNES plugin later.

As for mapper 268: A CopyNES can dump at most 32 MiB minus 256 bytes in one go, so it's best to dump 16 MiB in each of two goes, and only when outputting to UNIF or headerless files. I need to update my plugin for that, also later.

Quietust

Re: Help! CopyNES plugins for Mappers 176, 268, and extended CNROM (128KB CHR)

Post by Quietust » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:20 am

NewRisingSun wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:39 pm
As for mapper 268: A CopyNES can dump at most 32 MiB minus 256 bytes in one go, so it's best to dump 16 MiB in each of two goes, and only when outputting to UNIF or headerless files. I need to update my plugin for that, also later.
Technically, the limit is 16MB minus 256 bytes per packet, and the current CopyNESW software only allows a single packet of each type (because it truncates the output file on open). I suppose, in theory, it should be possible for a plugin to send multiple PRG/CHR packets if the data is that large, but the client software would have to be updated in order for that to work.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.