nes exp. port connector 3d model (files included)

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

emerson

nes exp. port connector 3d model (files included)

Post by emerson » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:19 pm

This weekend I designed a connector for the nes expansion port. It's printed in PLA with a 0.2mm nozzle and 0.1mm layer height. I think a resin printer would be better suited for the small pin slots but my fdm printer worked well. The pins were taken from an ISA slot. A few of them are a tad crooked but overall I'm happy with the end result. It has 2.54mm pin spacing and 7.62mm row spacing. The height of the connector, minus the pins, is 15mm.

The process of removing and installing the pins takes some time but I find it easier than cutting and sanding. I looked for a source of loose edge connector pins for close to an hour but all I could find were the crimp style pins for arcade connectors. If someone is able to find a source for loose solderable edge connector pins let me know. If they have the tab on the back like the arcade style pins I can edit the models.

Included are both .step and .stl files for the pin connector. There are several models depending on how much gap you want between the nes case and base of the connector/your pcb (1mm-4mm). There is also a model of the pin I used. I hope others will find this useful.
nes_exp_conn.zip
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
IMG_20201206_200633814.jpg
IMG_20201206_201008625.jpg
IMG_20201206_210519443.jpg
IMG_20201206_212552210.jpg

Pokun

Re: nes exp. port connector 3d model (files included)

Post by Pokun » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:22 am

Neat! Now people can make their own ENIO.

muramasa

Post by muramasa » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:28 pm

Looking forward to giving this a try. I was thinking of trying to do something similar but with these connectors.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... YAEIC6AvkA

emerson

Post by emerson » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:58 am

muramasa wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:28 pm
Looking forward to giving this a try. I was thinking of trying to do something similar but with these connectors.
Thanks for sharing the link.

Based on my measurements, the pins have to reach from the case into the console connector a minimum of 7.5mm to gaurantee contact. It may be less but I don't have any spares to cut up and get more accurate measurements. The pins you linked to are surface mount and would require being soldered to a metal extension strip or a pcb which then mounts vertically on the breakout board to make a full pin connector. It could be tricky but certainly possible. If your going for something like the INL solderless audio mod then that pin seems like a good solution.

I would like to know which millimeter gap you decide to use and why if you don't mind sharing. I provided a few options not knowing how others would use them and I'm curious to find out. I printed the 2mm gap to accomodate component pins not scratching the plastic and the height of a gameboy link cable port not extending past the expansion bay.

muramasa

Post by muramasa » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:09 pm

emerson wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:58 am
muramasa wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:28 pm
Thanks for sharing the link.

Based on my measurements, the pins have to reach from the case into the console connector a minimum of 7.5mm to gaurantee contact. It may be less but I don't have any spares to cut up and get more accurate measurements. The pins you linked to are surface mount and would require being soldered to a metal extension strip or a pcb which then mounts vertically on the breakout board to make a full pin connector. It could be tricky but certainly possible. If your going for something like the INL solderless audio mod then that pin seems like a good solution.

I would like to know which millimeter gap you decide to use and why if you don't mind sharing. I provided a few options not knowing how others would use them and I'm curious to find out. I printed the 2mm gap to accomodate component pins not scratching the plastic and the height of a gameboy link cable port not extending past the expansion bay.
So I haven't actually drawn a connector yet. So far for my project I've cut the connectors similar to the way they were done for ENIO, and have already cut out a bunch of them.

emerson

Post by emerson » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:10 pm

I found these pins earlier today while searching for "bifurcated contact". I'm not sure how legit it is because there a few different websites that are strangely similar claiming to have them in stock. These happen to be the cheapest. An inquiry on bulk rates would be necessary as $13 for 50 pins is pretty steep, not to mention $25 shipping if you don't buy $40 or more. At that rate you may as well buy $50 worth and only have pins for 4 connectors, ouch!

It's a start, but the hunt continues.

https://www.ynwxkft.com/amp-679189-bifu ... 359662.htm
http://www.elemar.pl/PDF/67918-9.pdf