Wireless NES/SNES Controllers?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

cd_vision

Wireless NES/SNES Controllers?

Post by cd_vision » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:30 pm

I ran across this article via hackaday:

http://www.ppl-pilot.com/index.htm

It describes how to create wireless SNES/NES controllers for use with the Gamecube ports on the Wii.

I'm assuming that with a few changes, these could work on original machines too. The article mentions a materials cost of about $80 US per controller and receiver. Although I'm fairly confident I could assemble one myself, I'd gladly pay $150 for someone else to make me a set. Any takers?

I know they already make infrared stuff for the NES but I think these would work waaaaaay better.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:40 pm

Why not just use or modify a set of playmessiah nes or snes wireless controllers?

cd_vision

Post by cd_vision » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:56 pm

Seems reasonable enough. It was just nice that all the instructions were laid out on that site.

NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:05 am

I really hate to dig up a post that is two years old (very noobish), however I would rather do this then start a new post with the exact same question.

I have been brainstorming a NES project for quite a while and would like to incorporate wireless NES controllers. I bought a couple of the "Acclaim wireless remotes" but found the ir pretty much useless.

I've been a member of benheck.com for a while, but thought I would rather ask the question here seeing as people here seem a lot more knowledgeable when it comes to NES hardware and programming.

I tried contacting the maker of the wii/gamecube version, but haven't received any response. So how about the experts here, do you have any advice for me?

ps. Long time lurker, finally decided to sign up.

peppers

Post by peppers » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:02 am

http://www.playmessiah.com/ use to sell RF wireless controllers, maybe it might be cheaper to hunt down a set of those if you can.

here they are on ebay

edit:BB is correct sorry for my mistake, amazon link removed
Last edited by peppers on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:17 am

Just watch out, some sets did not include the receiver so they can only be used with the NEX. The Amazon ones are likely not the complete set.

NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:47 pm

I've seen the messiah ones, and I've read reviews. Some of them are touch sensitive instead of tactile buttons, they don't sell the receivers separately, and they are very small.

Besides, there is nothing like playing the Nes with an original controller.