NTSC x PAL-M roms

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

NES virus

NTSC x PAL-M roms

Post by NES virus »

Hi, there!

Supposing I'm going to put some roms on cartridges:

The TV system at my country is PAL-M (different from japanese PAL). So I'm supposing native consoles follows this system.

So, what are the problems I can have in putting NTSC roms to play on PAL-M consoles? We had national versions of the original NES, and carts are plain compatible, but I dunno. And the national consoles plays whatever you put in them (China, Japan, USA carts...)

Thanks in advance.
Quietust

Re: NTSC x PAL-M roms

Post by Quietust »

NES virus wrote:(different from japanese PAL)
Er, Japan used NTSC.

The only real difference, hardware-wise, between an NTSC cart and a PAL cart is the lockout chip, and that itself isn't tied to a specific video format, but to a specific region. If you 'de-chip' your console (instructions can be found elsewhere), you can use any cart you want.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

PAL-M is used here in Brazil. I import everything in NTSC and it works fine without any restriction. Anyway, my NES is a compatible console, released around 1989/1990 as "Phantom System". I could include pics if you're curious enough for that... :D
NES virus

Post by NES virus »

Quietust -> "Er, Japan used NTSC."

Hmm... maybe I'm confused about European system. dunno. :?

So, if the only difference is about the lockout chip, them I won't have any problems, since my console doesn't has this limitation. :)

Fx3 -> Yes, I have the Phantom System too (awesome console!) But at this moment, I'm using Turbo Game, that dual system from CCE (Conserta, Conserta, Estraga) :wink: but it's very good too.

Thanks for your replies guys!