Current Problem PowerPak Games

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Are you sure? There is a fair chance changing the file name is all that is needed for mapper files.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Make a iNES 2.0 Supmapper for boards without WRAM.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:46 pm

thefox

Post by thefox » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Great Hierophant wrote:Perhaps a workaround would be to use the MAP04.MAP file which did work for the game and change the mapper number in the game's header. What needs to be done for the MAP file? Looking at a hex editor it seems that more than just changing the file name is necessary.
Yes, you can do that. You don't need to change anything but the filename (and the ROM header of course).
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi

Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:05 pm

It worked, no more warbly boss music. The MAP04 file is the one included in the latest official powerpak mapper release, (POWERPAK134105.zip) and I changed it to MAP06 and the iNES mapper for this version of Low-G-Man is 06.

johannesmutlu

Post by johannesmutlu » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:10 am

Great Hierophant wrote:
crade wrote:Crystalis seems to have some graphical issues as well.
Yes, I can observe a small amount of tile garbage here and there when walking on the map outside the first town.
this is really confusing me either,wich games are compatible and wich games are not/yes compatible.
sadly retrousb has no clear list with games wich are compatible and game wich are incompatible.
yes they has a mapper list with colors to indicate wich games works good,malfunction,glitchy,corrupting or do,nt work,but the list only show some weird numbers and not the name of the mappers,why not do the same as what they dit whith snes powerpak,putting an incompatilbility list.
even games wich are stated to worh on it,can still not work becouse of damage and/or may require error correction (wich the powerpak lacks)i can,t get ducktales castlevania 1 etc,, too work,whereas i sew on youtube that on someones powerpak his ducktales rom jst work on it.
note;i have the last update,so what,s the point??

Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:37 am

I don't observe that anymore with loopy's latest mappers. The only non-Japanese NES games that will not work or cannot be made to work with the PowerPak at present are Action 52 and the MMC5 games:

Bandit Kings of Ancient China
Castlevania III - Dracula's Curse
Gemfire
L'Empereur
Laser Invasion
Nobunaga's Ambition 2
Romance of The Three Kingdoms II
Uncharted Waters
johannesmutlu wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:
crade wrote:Crystalis seems to have some graphical issues as well.
Yes, I can observe a small amount of tile garbage here and there when walking on the map outside the first town.
this is really confusing me either,wich games are compatible and wich games are not/yes compatible.
sadly retrousb has no clear list with games wich are compatible and game wich are incompatible.
yes they has a mapper list with colors to indicate wich games works good,malfunction,glitchy,corrupting or do,nt work,but the list only show some weird numbers and not the name of the mappers,why not do the same as what they dit whith snes powerpak,putting an incompatilbility list.
even games wich are stated to worh on it,can still not work becouse of damage and/or may require error correction (wich the powerpak lacks)i can,t get ducktales castlevania 1 etc,, too work,whereas i sew on youtube that on someones powerpak his ducktales rom jst work on it.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:57 am

johannesmutlu wrote:even games wich are stated to worh on it,can still not work becouse of damage and/or may require error correction (wich the powerpak lacks)i can,t get ducktales castlevania 1 etc,, too work,whereas i sew on youtube that on someones powerpak his ducktales rom jst work on it.
Correcting bad ROMs should not be a responsibility for the PowerPak. Although I'm sure the PowerPak is mostly used to play pirate games, RetroUSB sells it as a "development tool", meaning you are supposed to use ROMs you make/dump yourself, instead of using the pirate shit that comes from the internet. The PowerPak has no obligation to accommodate that.

When you make the decision to use the PowerPak for piracy, you should at least have the decency of studying up why some games that are supposed to work don't and how to fix them, instead of publicly complaining that you can't easily steal games.
Ducktales and Castlevania 1 use one of the simplest mappers ever, so it's definitely not the PowerPak's fault. Your ROMs probably have bad headers and/or are corrupted. Just download other copies until you find one that works or use an emulator that can fix headers, such as Nestopia and learn how to do it.

RushJet1

Post by RushJet1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:20 pm

I have loopy's latest mappers. Kirby's Adventure screws up a lot on my powerpak.. I have the PRG0 and PRG1 versions of the ROM, both can't play correctly. Sometimes it's right at the beginning after the intro that it freezes, other times, just before level 1, kirby smacks the ground with his star and the graphics go haywire all over and it freezes, other times i can complete level 1, then it freezes. This is annoying.

l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:27 am

RushJet1 wrote:I have loopy's latest mappers. Kirby's Adventure screws up a lot on my powerpak.. I have the PRG0 and PRG1 versions of the ROM, both can't play correctly. Sometimes it's right at the beginning after the intro that it freezes, other times, just before level 1, kirby smacks the ground with his star and the graphics go haywire all over and it freezes, other times i can complete level 1, then it freezes. This is annoying.
Ah Kirby ... What a marvelous piece of software engineering.

Something you're doing with the ROM is kicking the copy protection in. :P (Hint: It's checking if there's anything wrong with the backup memory to figure out if the cart is a pirate copy or if it's running on a copier.)

RushJet1

Post by RushJet1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 am

Nevermind, found this, loopy's 4th mmc3 mapper seems to work with no issues.

l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:46 am

The exact reason for the problem is that Kirby checks the WRAM throughly:

If it's smaller than 8KB

If it can be write protected or not (Kirby is supposed to run on a TKROM board and that one has both CE and /CE pins connected to MMC3)

And a few other sanity checks.

If anything fails, the game runs but background changes oddly, stage layout is corrupted and you can spot "HAL" written on the background of the1st stage at the furthest part you can get to. Also, if you try to do the "inhale" move Kirby get stuck doing that.

Why I know this ? When I was testing my MMC3 dev board I played around with the WRAM hookup and it only works properly when WRAM is hooked "right".

RushJet1

Post by RushJet1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:46 pm

I didn't get any of those symptoms. Kirby could inhale fine. This was more along the lines of an actual freeze: music would freeze / continue doing what it was doing forever, all the graphics suddenly went BUHHHHH .. kind of like if you wiggle a cart around too much and some pins lose contact while playing a game. Again Loopy's mmc3 mapper on that page fixes the issue.

One other hilarious thing I had happen with the other MMC3 is that one time, the door to level 1 was a solid object: I could not run in front of it or go inside. Probably the strangest glitch.

l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 pm

RushJet1 wrote:I didn't get any of those symptoms. Kirby could inhale fine. This was more along the lines of an actual freeze: music would freeze / continue doing what it was doing forever, all the graphics suddenly went BUHHHHH .. kind of like if you wiggle a cart around too much and some pins lose contact while playing a game. Again Loopy's mmc3 mapper on that page fixes the issue.
Then perhaps it was some glitch with the mapper logic ?

tepples

Post by tepples » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Older versions of the PowerPak MMC3 would corrupt bytes when the scanline IRQ was turned on or off. The writes to $E000-$FFFF were momentarily decoded to $6000-$7FFF because PRG /CE changes slightly later than A13-A14. This was noticeable as map corruption in M.C. Kids and Crystalis.