PowerPak save state mappers

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

Post by thefox »

v1.4.2 released. There will not be any new releases in the near future, unless some critical bug surfaces.

Download: http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/downloads/save-s ... -1.4.2.zip

Changes:
* MMC3 IRQ fixed (hopefully once and for all).
* Fixed saving in games with 16K PRG (Excitebike, etc).
* A lot of bugs fixed from saving/loading in general.
* Added an option to skip the menu by holding down A before it is shown.

Special thanks to Travis Miniard for extensive beta testing and bug reports!
thefox

Post by thefox »

v1.5 is out. Download from here.

* Minor sound register initialization issue fixed (affected Megaman 1 and 2).
* Added SUROM support to MMC1 (fixes Dragon Warrior 3 and 4).
* Changed soft reset behavior (Start+A+B) so that if the buttons are held down for less than a couple of seconds, it resets the game (i.e. goes to the Save State Mappers menu) instead of going to the PowerPak menu. Screen turns red to indicate when the buttons have been held down long enough.
* Fixed the DPCM controller corruption problem which affected the NTSC NES (and Famicom), so turbo can be used in games that use DPCM samples, such as Contra, Batman, etc.
johannesmutlu

Post by johannesmutlu »

thefox wrote:I've now implemented AxROM, CNROM and MMC1, just need to polish them a bit before releasing. MMC3 is also partially working but the scanline counter is giving me some trouble.
the savestate mapper for the powerpak is really nice cuzz now i can start at any point i want,however my miner complain about it is when i created a save file,will i reached world 4,okey i can start the game next time at that point,my big point is that when i contineu play till world 5 will using save sate,i can not go back to world 4 from the point when i created a save file by pushing power,no instead my save file gets unwantedly updated with world 5,but since i never wanted that and thus not going back to the ssavestate menu the savefile sudenly gets useless and crashed the game when i tryed to go back to my savestate and crashes the game when i tryed to go back to world with world5 but i dit,nt had invide them to save world 5.
i short i played adventure island1 i savestated it tilll word 4 and went back to the savestate menu to create a savefile,once i contineud on playing till world 8 level 3,i played again,but when i dit get defenceless in the last level wich i savestated it(without going back to the savestate menu)but,i wanted to go back to world 7 level 3 by pushing power since i had already created the savefile during world 7,so i tout i just could do that by simply pushing the power button,but instead the game crashed when i dit wanted to go back to my savestate,how was i ever suppose to know that the save state mapper even updates created savefiles with savestates when i dit,nt go back to the save menu???but you have no choice you have to go to the savestate menu for saving it,even if you do,nt want that,you,re forced to do, or your saved data will crash the game,this is really annoying man i was mad after pllaying 6 hours and lot of frustrations and end up with crashed save data becouse of this.
thefox

Post by thefox »

It does NOT update the save files automatically, only in the PowerPak menu that asks where you want to save.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

johannesmutlu wrote:the savestate mapper for the powerpak is really nice cuzz now i can start at any point i want,however my miner complain about it is when i created a save file,will i reached world 4,okey i can...
...annoying man i was mad after pllaying 6 hours and lot of frustrations and end up with crashed save data becouse of this.
Urgh, my eyes feel like they've been raped. :(
thefox

Post by thefox »

ccovell wrote:Urgh, my eyes feel like they've been raped. :(
BTW, have you had a chance to test if there are any problems with Famicom when using the latest version?
johannesmutlu

Post by johannesmutlu »

i finaly know how to get save state to work but the way to do that is pretty weird.
after unzipping the mapper in the cd flashcard directory,you got to go to the savestate mapper and then copy those maps map00 mapp01 map02 etc,, to the powerpak mappers,and you must replace the map00,map01 etc,,,inside the powerpak map,so once you copy those map01 map02 from the savestate mapper to the powerpak mapper,it supposedly will ask you to copy and replace it,click yes on everything,once done,it should work,with supported games.
the same i had to do was the newer powerpak loopy mapper wich makes games like supermarioworld ,mortal combat,etc,, also work on powerpak.
you need to copy and replace those maps like map47 map 48 etc,, witth the maps from the powerpak loopy mapper to get those games to work.
but let me tell you all i dit got really SCREWED UP untill i finaly dit found the richt mapper and how and what to copy and replace it,not mention i had to guess alot sonce it was,nt that clearly described or the mapper went incorrect,oh man it,s so easy to get confused
SkinnyV

Post by SkinnyV »

johannesmutlu wrote: i dit got really SCREWED UP,oh man it,s so easy to get confused
Indeed :lol:
Great Hierophant

Re: PowerPak save state mappers

Post by Great Hierophant »

In addition to Rad Racer 2, the other four screen MMC3 game, Gauntlet, has similar issues.
deksar

Post by deksar »

thefox

Post by thefox »

Great Hierophant wrote:In addition to Rad Racer 2, the other four screen MMC3 game, Gauntlet, has similar issues.
Yes, my mappers don't support 4 screen mirroring at all.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
SkinnyV

Post by SkinnyV »

deksar wrote:Perhaps the following links would be some idea/help:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=393.0

Hehe trust me, TheFox wouldn't need my help to figure out a faulty header Xp
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

So, to bring up the issue of the elusive kirby's adventure freeze:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AukSOJas ... tube_gdata

I have 5 NES's, 2 top loaders and 3 Old style toasters. The top loaders and 2 of the toasters play kirby's adventure just fine. The one that doesn't does the exact same glitch as shown above in the youtube video. I've taken the time to open a working toaster and the non-working one to see if maybe this would help thefox pinpoint what exactly is causing it since they are 2 different revisions. Both have the expansion audio resistor modification done to them, so it's a non-issue (at least I hope so).

6 images of the Non-Working NES PCB CPU-10 (front and back):

http://imgur.com/enPTIMw,43s9vX4,3t8Fbn ... kE,qoy0TaB

6 images of the Working NES PCB CPU-06(front and back):

http://imgur.com/q0so4oI,shmG89M,ZdwToG ... 0Q,dAOMQjC

Hope this helps.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Version 16 with FME-7 support (no sound) has been released, get it from the usual place: http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/projects/nes/pow ... e-mappers/
Kreese

Post by Kreese »

First of all: Thanks for doing this! It really makes it more fun to play the NES again. Yesterday I hooked my PAL and NTSC NES up and played some. Once you start to play you almost can't quit. :)

Then I realised I probably didn't have the latest "thefox mappers". So now it's time to download the latest and try them out.

First I didn't find this thread. But finally I found it!