It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:11 am 

Hey all.

I recently picked up a Generation NEX Arcade stick and think it's actually pretty great. The only problem with it really is that as it's wireless, it can only be used with the rather crappy NEX Famiclone and not real hardware. To address that, I'd like to add in an NES controller cord to the stick, but am wondering if this is even possible.

Here's the info I know about it.

The main board has a gloptop for a 4021 with no obvious places for soldering wires to.
Looking over the board there seems to be test points scattered about, but nothing is labeled.
Looks like its common ground as the Joystick microswitches are daisy chained and so are the B and A buttons.
It's powered by four AAA's so 6v total. Would NES VCC 5v be enough to satisfy the stick?

Would it be possible to run a cord and control the stick and maintain it's wireless functionality? The wireless is great for use on the NEX and I'd like to keep it intact if I can.

Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/5473444676/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/5473445732/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/5472851687/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/5472852677/

inside the casing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N04/5473456304/

I've got lots of soldering experience and have done several NES related mod projects in the past.

Any help is much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:24 am 

well the simplest way to do it without havein to do any thinking would be to simply buy a new 4021 or salvage one bypass the blobtop and wire it the same way a regular nes controller is. Although then the turbo buttons and whatever the switches do would not work.

edit: buying one of the cheap new knockoff nes controllers would give u the shift register and the cord you need and not destroy any original hardware. If I where to go this rout this is what I would do. You could buy one with turbo funtions like this if you really need turbo although I'm not sure that one has a real NES controller end and i think the cord is too short. otherwise one like this is the way to go, i own one of these and they work fine.

Last edited by peppers on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:23 am 
Formerly akaviolence

SatoshiMatrix wrote:
Hey all.

I recently picked up a Generation NEX Arcade stick and think it's actually pretty great. The only problem with it really is that as it's wireless, it can only be used with the rather crappy NEX Famiclone and not real hardware.

Not true, you can buy the reciever and use it on any NES console. Porblem is I dont think i've ever seen just the reciever for sale anywhere, the pair I have came with a pair of NEX controllers in the metal lunch box package.
Here's a pic, 1/3 down the page.

SatoshiMatrix wrote:

The main board has a gloptop for a 4021

I'd bet real money that glop is not a 4021.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:24 pm 

akaviolence wrote:
Not true, you can buy the reciever and use it on any NES console. Porblem is I dont think i've ever seen just the reciever for sale anywhere, the pair I have came with a pair of NEX controllers in the metal lunch box package.
Here's a pic, 1/3 down the page.

I know, but the receivers for the NEX wireless controllers were only sold in those limited run lunchbox bundles and are now next to impossible to find. I'd love to get even one wireless NES receiver, but I don't think I'll ever find one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 pm 

I want to be able to still use the stick wirelessly on the NEX, but also want to be able to plug it into a actual NES and use it there. I've thought of placing in a salvaged 4021, but that would mean the turbo fire wouldn't work.

What about adding an NES MAX controller to the mix as it also has a LB4969 for turbo fire? If I were to solder signal traces to the the buttons of the MAX to the signal traces of the NEX stick, would that then give me what I want without the need to add in a switch? Of course, that presents a bit of a question of how the turbo would work - I'd like to be able to use the NEX's pots to adjust the turbo rate when plugged in to an NES. Can I do this or is there a flaw in my thinking?

I don't need/care about turbo fire Start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 pm 

well you could build a couple of simple strobe circuits and hook those up to the knobs, turbo buttons and where a and b would connect on the chip. You should be able to google for one that would work for this application.

Last edited by peppers on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 pm 

Ive never done anything like that. Can you elaborate and explain what I should do please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:10 pm 

well there are some pretty simple circuits that are designed to flash leds. most use resistors to control the rate of flashing.

so just modify one of these circuits slightly by useing the pots from your joystick in place of the resistors and add diodes to where the a and b button would connect on the controller chip so power dose not go into it and hook those up the to circuit. the turbo buttons would go in front of the power supply connection

I believe that would work but not 100%. if you can't find one that runs off 5v you may also have to add a simple step up circuit to get it up to like 9v that is more typical of the kinda you would find.

edit: this made scene to me b4 bed when i was less than sober but now i'm not so sure of myself I can even figure out what i'm talkin bout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:21 am 

lol. If you figure it out, please make me a diagram and explain again what I should do. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:13 pm 

You could get a nes advantage board and wire that up instead. Since thats what this stick was based on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:31 pm 

but if I were to do that, I wouldn't be able to use it wirelessly anymore. My objective is to be able to swap between both.