Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

werewolfslayr925

Re: Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Post by werewolfslayr925 »

rainwarrior wrote:You don't directly change the code to make the CRC match. The CRC is just a signature of the data you dumped.

If the dump for Bootgod was different at all from your cartridge, the CRC will be different.

If you incorrectly dumped, then there is something you might change in the code, but your goal should be getting an accurate dump of your cart, not matching a CRC. Can you run the dumped ROM in an emulator?
It only runs in FCEUX. I've tried it in NEStopia and in NESticle as well, but the former declares a CPU jam and the latter doesn't display anything. I'm not sure why it runs in one and not the others. What should I change in the code?
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

werewolfslayr925 wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:You don't directly change the code to make the CRC match. The CRC is just a signature of the data you dumped.

If the dump for Bootgod was different at all from your cartridge, the CRC will be different.

If you incorrectly dumped, then there is something you might change in the code, but your goal should be getting an accurate dump of your cart, not matching a CRC. Can you run the dumped ROM in an emulator?
It only runs in FCEUX. I've tried it in NEStopia and in NESticle as well, but the former declares a CPU jam and the latter doesn't display anything. I'm not sure why it runs in one and not the others. What should I change in the code?
pm send me you dumped data.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

werewolfslayr925 that script for VRC7 should work for lagrange point. I used it but with x4 to get 512k, otherwise it was just 256k
MaarioS

Post by MaarioS »

To anyone who struggles with Kazzo cart's programming problems- please keep in mind that due to programming sequence, some carts can be programmed ONLY by using AM29F040B. Even though some other chips are supported like W29C020, W49F002U, I personally don't recommend any of them. It most probably has to do with memory sectors, while others are manufactured completely random, AM29F040B is divided into sectors 64KB each and it seems the best for Kazzo. While I could absolutely do NOTHING to make UNROM cart to work, AM29F040B finally did the job. Please note when you have any Kazzo programming errors, you should make sure that you use AM29F040B first
Deltrix

Post by Deltrix »

Does anybody have a working script for SEROM? The ones online don't work and trying to merge the PRG and CHR from different scripts just give me messed up textures.

EDIT: Nevermind, I managed to make a working one.
Attachments
serom.zip
(397 Bytes) Downloaded 227 times
X-pert74

Post by X-pert74 »

Does anyone know how exactly to dump a US copy of RC Pro-Am? I feel like I've tried every single thing conceivably possible to do with my cartridge. I've opened it up and cleaned it, I've turn it forward and backward inside the Kazzo's 72-pin slot, I've tried serom.ad, mmc1_slrom.ad, mmc1_slrom.af, mmc1_surom.af, I've tried typing d2 or d6 instead of just d when using the command line version of anago, etc. I have absolutely no idea what else to do. This game just does not want to dump a working ROM for me. Every single time I try to dump it, it just says "CPU Jam!" in NEStopia. ugh.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Are you sure your copy uses MMC1? There are two revisions out there, one with AxROM, the other with MMC1.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
X-pert74

Post by X-pert74 »

thefox wrote:Are you sure your copy uses MMC1? There are two revisions out there, one with AxROM, the other with MMC1.

Mine says "REV-A" on the back.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

X-pert74 wrote:Mine says "REV-A" on the back.
"REV-A" is the revision of that sticker on that back of the cartridge, it doesn't actually refer to game contents.

You have to open the cart and look at the board to get any information about the actual game's revision/hardware. (Alternatively you can dump it and speculate based on the dump. Like if you try an AxROM dump and it works, it's probably AxROM.)

Apparently in this case you can also tell by the text when you pause the game: https://tcrf.net/R.C._Pro-Am
X-pert74

Post by X-pert74 »

rainwarrior wrote:
X-pert74 wrote:Mine says "REV-A" on the back.
"REV-A" is the revision of that sticker on that back of the cartridge, it doesn't actually refer to game contents.

You have to open the cart and look at the board to get any information about the actual game's revision/hardware. (Alternatively you can dump it and speculate based on the dump. Like if you try an AxROM dump and it works, it's probably AxROM.)

Apparently in this case you can also tell by the text when you pause the game: https://tcrf.net/R.C._Pro-Am

Hmm, okay then. I opened up my copy, and the top left of the board says "NES-ANIROM-01 CHR-ROM". So... I tried typing anago d2 anrom.ad "RC Pro-Am.nes"... and it worked! Thank you for the help :) It's nice to finally get this working, after like a hundred failed dumps.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Wanted to take a min to update my progress on rewriting the kazzo host app and firmware. I've made some decent progress on the goals I set for myself in this post last Nov.

The biggest 'news' is that I'm officially planning to retire from the atmega164 and bit banged V-usb hardware. I've only got a couple month's supply of the current atmega164 boards on hand and once those are gone, I don't plan on making any more of them. I'm not abandoning them completely though, software updates will continue to support all devices I've shipped to date. I've decided to migrate to the stm32f070 with hardware USB 2.0 Full speed (12Mbps). This new hardware design is not compatible with the original unagi/anago firmware/software. Because of this, I can't actually release the new hardware design until the software makes it at least as capable as current kazzo including the original anago/unagi for dumping purposes, and my current release for flash board programming. So the heat is on for me to finally release my new software/firmware build, in my mind I must release it prior to running out of original kazzo board inventory.

Here's the primary goals of my upcoming release:
-compatible on all previous, current, and planned future hardware designs I've released.
-compatible on windows, mac, and linux
-host scripts to allow adding support for new mappers without need to compile anything.
-host app/scripts are hardware agnostic providing the hardware is physically capable of the task.
-device firmware as hardware/core agnostic as much as possible, at least while the AVR still has rom available.
-all software open sourced

I made lots of strong progress on my rewrite over Nov/Dec of last year, and got to the point where my new build was able to flash and dump NES NROM carts. Once I got to that point I really stumbled on how to implement script support. 100% of the host software (and AVR firmware) was written in C. Aside from personal preference, I chose C because it allowed me to share header files with both the device firmware and host software. C also helped gain compatibility with most OS's along with libusb drivers. But I got pretty hung up when it take time to implement my own scripting engine.

Around the same time I was struggling with scripts, I stumbled upon the beauty that is the stm32 mcu lineup and I fell in love. It became obvious that it was time for me to retire bitbanged V-usb on an 8bit AVR hardware design. I drafted up a new prototype over the spring, and have been making steady progress on the new software over the past month.

Thanks to the excellent discussion on Lua recently, I opened my mind to using something besides C written almost entirely by myself. I was sold once I realized that the Lua interpreter is actually running in C, and allows me to stick with my cross platform goals. I'm now at the point where all the host app C code I wrote last winter is ported over to Lua. Nearly the entire host application runs in Lua. I've got one low level function that's written in C to interface between Lua and libusb drivers. The executable/main is also still in C, but doesn't do much other than connect to the USB device and pass command line arguments over to Lua. I'm very pleased with Lua, it's quite the perfect match for this project IMO.

It took a solid 2 weeks of effort to get the low level USB drivers written for the stm32 device. I tried to tinker with some of the cortex mcu software interface standard (CMSIS), and hardware abstraction layer code, but things quickly bloated and the number of function calls needed to toggle a mcu pin quickly became absurd. I'm sure I was probably doing something wrong, but I can't stand IDE's and the driver code was a tangled mess. I opted for writing everything from scratch starting with my own on baremetal. I struggled in the beginning, but it forced me to become more familiar with the hardware which paid off in the end as it always does..

I'm currently at the point where I've many of of the big ticket goals prior to releasing the software into the wild. I'm about to start working on mapper/memory detection logic, so I can call mapper specific scripts. With that I'll be able to beta release a commandline version on most OS's. Then I'll focus on a gui, currently have my sights set on wxLua.

Once I've got that released I'll start focusing more on the new hardware release. Getting kind of long winded already, so I'll just tease with some eye candy and follow up with details depending on interest. I haven't fully decided what to call the new hardware, don't think I'll keep with the kazzo name as it's no longer compatible with the original kazzo project. I've named my new software release INLretro, currently thinking the hardware will carry a similar name..
Attachments
kazzo/INLretro of past present and future...
kazzo/INLretro of past present and future...
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
Deltrix

Post by Deltrix »

Does anybody know why I can't write 128K .bin files to my SUROM board?
I can flash 256K and 512K ROMs just fine, but 128K files just don't want to work.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

SUROM is 512KB PRG-ROM. You shouldn't be writing anything smaller than 512KByte to it. If you quadruple up your 128KB image to 512KByte and fill the chip it'll probably work.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
RPGMaster57

Post by RPGMaster57 »

Is there a way to use the Kazzo to dump Akumajou Densetsu? I cannot find a script for VRC6a. I placed a support ticket on the website for InfiniteNESLives, and I was sent a link to a VRC6a script modified from the VRC6b script. Unfortunately, whenever I try to dump the game, I get this error message that is similar whether I use the VRC6a script or VRC6b script. I have included the error message at the bottom. What can I do to dump this game? I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place; I am new here.

m_database not found

AN ERROR HAS OCCURED [the index 'ppu_rom' does not exist]

CALLSTACK
*FUNCTION [dump()] dumpcore.nut line [22]

LOCALS
[ppuarea_memory] NULL
[vram] 0
[increase_ppu] 1
[increase_cpu] 11
[mappernum] 26
[script] "vrc6a.af"
[d] USERPOINTER
[this] TABLE
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

RPGMaster57 wrote:AN ERROR HAS OCCURED [the index 'ppu_rom' does not exist
That error implies the section that looks like this:
board <- {
  mappernum = 0,
  cpu_rom = {
    size_base = 0x8000, size_max = 0x8000
    banksize = 0x8000
  },
ppu_rom= {
    size_base = 0x8000, size_max = 0x2000,
    banksize = 0x2000
  },
  ppu_ramfind = false, vram_mirrorfind = true
};
isn't present in this exact form. (Numbers are allowed to vary; words are not)

The current syntax in the release of vrc6b on the unagi svn repository looks like

Code: Select all

board <- {
  mappernum = 26, vram_mirrorfind = false,
  cpu = {banksize = 0x4000, maxsize = 2 * mega},
  ppu = {banksize = 0x0400, maxsize = 2 * mega},
}
, so maybe that's the problem.