It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:12 am 

Ideally, you'd take the MMC3 script and make these changes:
  • Write $20 to $8000 (enables access to internal PRG RAM in the first place)
  • Write $F0 to $A001 (enables reading and writing both bank $7000 and bank $7200)
  • Dump $7000 through $73FF instead of $6000-$7FFF
Did you make all three of these changes?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:55 am 

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I showed my work in this topic. All I got from either game was garbage, and any operation deleted the save after setting 0x8000 and 0xA001 according to the documentation (at least it's doing something!). I'd be glad if you could figure out how to get it to work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:49 am 

I plan to do Kazzo. But a few things are not entirely clear. Can I replace the ceramic resonator quartz? According to the description corner 74HC574 manufacturer requires changes resistors. I have the opportunity to buy Texas Instruments SN74HC574.

And that the values of all the small parts can be replaced with slightly different? I have problems with the purchase of parts with perfectly the same values. And Can I use the 74LS/HCT574 instead HC574 ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:40 am 

Can I please have some help? I have been trying to make backups of my nes games with the kazoo. I have been folowing this guide: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... st72806661 anyways, every step worked fine but when I hit the "dump" button in ango_wx, it just says: reader open error :( I have been recommended to restart my pc but that didn't do anything :roll: any help would be appreciated! ;)

-NESguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:21 pm 

bretts87 wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what I did. I showed my work in this topic. All I got from either game was garbage, and any operation deleted the save after setting 0x8000 and 0xA001 according to the documentation (at least it's doing something!). I'd be glad if you could figure out how to get it to work.
I replied to said topic, let me know how that script I made works as I haven't tested it.

sdm wrote:
I plan to do Kazzo. But a few things are not entirely clear. Can I replace the ceramic resonator quartz? According to the description corner 74HC574 manufacturer requires changes resistors. I have the opportunity to buy Texas Instruments SN74HC574.

And that the values of all the small parts can be replaced with slightly different? I have problems with the purchase of parts with perfectly the same values. And Can I use the 74LS/HCT574 instead HC574 ?
Yes you should be able to replace the ceramic resonator with a quartz crystal, I've modified my design to do the same. Any flipflops with similar control signals (rising edge clock control) should work. if you're asking about changing resistor or diode values I wouldn't recommend it.

NESguy wrote:
Can I please have some help? I have been trying to make backups of my nes games with the kazoo. I have been folowing this guide: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... st72806661 anyways, every step worked fine but when I hit the "dump" button in ango_wx, it just says: reader open error :( I have been recommended to restart my pc but that didn't do anything :roll: any help would be appreciated! ;)

-NESguy
yeah sounds like the same issue I have with several of my own PCs. If you have another PC that may resolve the issue. I put the disclaimer on my site. Perhaps if I can push out a version of my own firmware soon that supports dumping that'd resolve your issues. From what I can tell it's only an issue with the original kazzo firmware. Submit a ticket on my website if you'd rather just return it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:44 pm 

I was using windows vista. Do you think it would work on my windows 8 computer? (I know how windows 8 is incompatible with tons of stuff :roll: )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:57 pm 

NESguy wrote:
I was using windows vista. Do you think it would work on my windows 8 computer? (I know how windows 8 is incompatible with tons of stuff :roll: )
Worth a shot. My firmware and software works with windows8 after the driver signing hassle is bypassed, I'm not sure about the original kazzo firmware and anago app.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 pm 

infiniteneslives wrote:
NESguy wrote:
Worth a shot. My firmware and software works with windows8 after the driver signing hassle is bypassed, I'm not sure about the original kazzo firmware and anago app.
How do I bypass the driver signing stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:52 pm 

I finish my Kazzo :)

I use these memory chips: SST39SF020A, W29C020-12 and W49F002U-12B all work great.
By using the DIP32 stand, i use it as a flash chip programmer. I can write anything on memory flash - just only need to paste an NES header to BIN file. I can use the flash chips anywhere, not only in NES/FC cartridge (sega, atari, snes etc :)

I connect A16 to A16, A17 to A17 (not like in the description Kazzo where the A17 to A18). PRG A18 I have not connected because currently I do not have 4mbit flash.

BTW...

Based on Kazzo project, you can make very cheap USB flash memory programmer. You will need to: ATmega16, 74HC574, universal stand ZIF32, Kazzo resistors, capacitors, diode, usb etc. And a memory controller, eg. use NES cartridge MMC1 chip or done on the basis of 74LS161 (UNROM). All connections as described Kazzo, but only PRG ROM programmable (ZIF32). Memory will be programmed as PRG ROM only MMC1 board (A18 up to 29F040) or UNROM (A17 up 29F020 - but probably also the A18).

74xxx
or MMC1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:40 am 

Can anyone help me with figuring out how to dump Wai Wai World 2? It uses VRC4 apparently, but regardless of whether I try to rip it using the command line version or the GUI version of anago, it doesn't come up with a functional ROM, regardless of which of the several VRC4-related scripts I use. I was especially hoping to get this game in particular to work since I don't currently have a way to play Famicom games on the original hardware.

EDIT: I got it to work! Apparently I had the cartridge in backwards? I tried to dump the game while having the label facing the direction of the cable plug-in, like I would for dumping any of my NES games, and it never worked that way. I tried flipping it this time around though, and it dumped perfectly. I feel kind of silly about it, but mostly I'm just glad I can play the game now :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:34 am 

All sorts of reading and i'm still stuck, i need to dump Color Dreams (Mapper 11) roms, but i cannot find anything on how to do it. please help. sorry if its a spoon feed, but i'm stuck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:29 pm 

Hi, I've got a quick question. I've got a Zelda cart that doesn't want to surrender its SRAM to me. Strangely enough, I've got another Zelda cart that works just fine. Any idea what might be going on? I'm thinking it's a different board revision or something, but I'm not sure what changes I might need to make to the script file.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:45 pm 

Some releases of Legend of Zelda use MMC1B2, some use MMC1. You'll probably need to both disable SNROM's PRG RAM protection (set CHR bank size to 8 KiB and then manually clear CHR bank 0) and MMC1B's later explicit PRG RAM protection (set PRG bank to something 16-31).

Hopefully that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:39 am 

Sadly, I'm still a total NES newbie. I'm trying to make heads or tails of the changes I need to make to the SKROM routine. Should all those changes occur to the cpu_ram_access function? It's been a while since I've done a lot of microcontroller stuff (not cool!), so my brain is hurting a little bit.

Also, a really dumb question: do you folks pull USB power from the kazzo before you swap carts, or is it okay to hot-swap?

EDIT: Okay, I'm thoroughly confused now. It looks like the script is implementing at least some of the suggested changes?

Code:
function cpu_ram_access(d, pagesize, banksize)
{
        mmc1_write(d, 0x8000, 1 << 3);
        mmc1_write(d, 0xe000, 0);
        mmc1_write(d, 0xa000, 0);
        cpu_ramrw(d, 0x6000, banksize);
        mmc1_write(d, 0xe000, 0xff);
}

It looks like the first part is putting the CHR Mode to 8k, the PRG Size to 16k mode, and something with the mirroring control that I'm not sure is important to this?

Next, writing a 0 here should enable the WRAM and set the PRG register bits to 0000.

The next line writes 0 to CHR Register 0? I'm assuming that's what's going on.

Then a read starting at 0x6000, of size 0x2000 (described further up). I think I understand that's where the WRAM is mapped, from 0x6000 - 0x7FFF.

Then disabling the WRAM again. What else would I need here? Sorry I'm being such a newbie with this...

EDIT 2: Got it, got it, got it. Ignorance on my part. At the top, the PPU ROM banksize needs to be 8kB. I'm assuming this has to do with how the PRG RAM is mapped into memory. Learned a lot in the process, and have a working Zelda save (from my childhood, no less!).

EDIT 3: I've run into a similar problem with Zoda's Revenge as above. My original script had a screwup in it, and only partially nuked the save file. Using the downloaded one nukes it completely. I tried using 0xa0 instead of 0xf0 to keep the write protection enabled, but it didn't work, and things still get nuked. If anyone has any idea about this, let me know!

EDIT 4: Ha, should have checked the other thread about Battletoads. Couldn't get the ANROM script to be agreeable at all, so I ended up dumping each bank separately (0x8000 to 0xc000 and 0xc000 - 0xffff), then busting out some trusty Python to rearrange things in the right order. Then I see the "d2" switch in another thread, which worked beautifully. Doh! Still, happy to be learning stuff. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:16 pm 

Not sure it's useful for y'all, but I did some modifications to the MMC3 script to dump mapper 47 (QJROM, Super Spike V'Ball / Nintendo World Cup). Lots of hard-coded values, but I think this is the only game to use this particular setup.

Attachments:
qj.zip [651 Bytes]
Downloaded 66 times

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 38  Next