FME-7 and SUNSOFT 5B are different?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

byemu

FME-7 and SUNSOFT 5B are different?

Post by byemu »

I try to flash Gimmick(J) to a FME-7 board with kazzo!
It seems has problem(SUNSOFT 5B)
Is my famicom problem or cartridge problem?

It's ok

also ok

Here, need bank prg to 6000~7FFF!
But this cartridge can't bank prg(only bank sram)
Last edited by byemu on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:22 am, edited 10 times in total.
Dwedit

Re: FME-7 and SUBNSOFT 5B are different?

Post by Dwedit »

Batman is FME-7 and doesn't have the sound chip found in Sunsoft 5B. Aside from the lack of the built in sound chip, they are compatible.
NescartDB claims that Gremlins 2 (J) also has a Sunsoft 5B chip inside.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
byemu

Post by byemu »

Dwedit wrote:Batman is FME-7 and doesn't have the sound chip found in Sunsoft 5B. Aside from the lack of the built in sound chip, they are compatible.
NescartDB claims that Gremlins 2 (J) also has a Sunsoft 5B chip inside.
Only two games has the SUNSOFT 5B?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Gremlins 2 has been seen with both 5A and 5B chips inside. (Demonstrating that 5B is supposed to be backwards compatible with 5A.)

I think at least one person has run Gimmick (with no extra sound) on an FME-7 RotJ board.

I don't know if anyone has tried to tap the unconnected pins from an FME-7 or 5A board with a gimmick ROM to verify there is no audio expansion output on those chips, but it's presumed they do not have the sound hardware.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

rainwarrior wrote:I think at least one person has run Gimmick (with no extra sound) on an FME-7 RotJ board.

I don't know if anyone has tried to tap the unconnected pins from an FME-7 or 5A board with a gimmick ROM to verify there is no audio expansion output on those chips, but it's presumed they do not have the sound hardware.
I know Kevtris has confirmed a ROJ board works if you add the 8910 synth. It's an assumption but I'd imagine Kevtris of all people would have verified the sound wasn't actually on the 5A/FME-7

Here's the best thread I know of that explains how to use an FME7 with external synth.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
byemu

Post by byemu »

infiniteneslives wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:I think at least one person has run Gimmick (with no extra sound) on an FME-7 RotJ board.

I know Kevtris has confirmed a ROJ board works if you add the 8910 synth. It's an assumption but I'd imagine Kevtris of all people would have verified the sound wasn't actually on the 5A/FME-7

Here's the best thread I know of that explains how to use an FME7 with external synth.
I think i need more test!
Last edited by byemu on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

byemu wrote: Yes!
I found SUNSOFTR 5A is also include the exsound
Really???

Just to be clear there will be music playing Via the NES/APU alone. But you won't be able to hear all the instruments/percussion without the synth. One easy way to tell is the jump and star sounds wound be heard without the extra sound from the synth.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
byemu

Post by byemu »

infiniteneslives wrote:
byemu wrote: Yes!
I found SUNSOFTR 5A is also include the exsound
Really???

Just to be clear there will be music playing Via the NES/APU alone. But you won't be able to hear all the instruments/percussion without the synth. One easy way to tell is the jump and star sounds wound be heard without the extra sound from the synth.
Can tired the pin 45 and 46 to 5a and try it!
Last edited by byemu on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
byemu

Post by byemu »

byemu wrote:I try to flash Gimmick(J) to a FME-7 board!
It seems has problem(SUNSOFT 5B)
Is my famicom problem or cartridge problem?
Batman(J) runs OK!(SUNSOFT 5A)
Now I found the problem:
If cartridge include the sram,rom bank can not bank to 6000~7FFF!
If program try to bank rom to 6000~7fff,the data will all of the 0xff.
Last edited by byemu on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I doubt it, it probably checks for SRAM for copy protection. Just disable it.
l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira »

My FME-7 cart plays Gimmick fine regardless of the SRAM being connected or not. (there's no SRAM checks in it at all)

I used two Barcode World carts to make two Gimmick repros and both had FME-7 chips.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Did you add an AY/YM chip, or are you saying that the FME-7 has the audio hardware in it? (Or your repros didn't have the extra audio?)
l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira »

rainwarrior wrote:Did you add an AY/YM chip, or are you saying that the FME-7 has the audio hardware in it? (Or your repros didn't have the extra audio?)

I added. It's one of the threads here, where some people said my soldering is horrible. lol
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

If you use the unreleased US version of Gimmick then you don't need the extra sound hardware.
l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira »

MottZilla wrote:If you use the unreleased US version of Gimmick then you don't need the extra sound hardware.
Well I wouldn't bother making a repro if it had no extra sound. It was the main reason for doing it. Gimmick! is a awesome game. And it's soo hard it's even funny in a very sadistic way ...