FME-7 and SUNSOFT 5B are different?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Re: FME-7 and SUBNSOFT 5B are different?

Post by 3gengames »

I'm pretty sure the ntsc game has all the sound the expansion has. or close to it, as even I can't hear much difference. They did a great conversion. Shame it never saw the light of day.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

The US version has no *missing* sounds though. It doesn't have the extra channels but since it doesn't use them it still works. I wouldn't say that the extra sound channels in the japanese version are what make the game worth playing.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Gimmick is a lot easier if you've played though the game and practiced with savestates. Then you're ready to take it on.
But the PAL version is much easier, since it's 5/6 the speed.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
picccca

Post by picccca »

l_oliveira wrote: Gimmick! is a awesome game. And it's soo hard it's even funny in a very sadistic way .
You're right it's a great game, I have completed the european version of it, Mr Gimmick!, several times. It's not that hard. Where did the us version come from? Is there some differences from european version to the us version?

EDIT: ok already got the answer :)
jpx72

Post by jpx72 »

Can anyone who actually owns Gimmick (J) trace the connections of the mapper to see where the extra components are connected to? On nesdev wiki about Sunsoft5b pinout is a information about relation of pins 3 or 18 with audio output, but on the PCB photo it looks like nothing is connected to these pins...
Last edited by jpx72 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
byemu

Post by byemu »

jpx72 wrote:I have knowledge that some Dodge Danpei and Gremlins 2 cartridges (both Famicom) can have the Sunsoft 5B mapper inside .
But according to NEScartDB (Gimmick- Gremlins2)the original Gimmick (J) has it wired differently and added 4 caps and 3 resistors. Can anyone who actually owns Gimmick (J) trace the connections of the mapper to see where the extra components are connected to? On nesdev wiki about Sunsoft5b pinout is a information about relation of pins 3 or 18 with audio output, but on the PCB photo it looks like nothing is connected to these pins...
Gimmick (J) use the cartridge pin 45 and 46!
l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira »

MottZilla wrote:The US version has no *missing* sounds though. It doesn't have the extra channels but since it doesn't use them it still works. I wouldn't say that the extra sound channels in the japanese version are what make the game worth playing.
No, it is what made me pick the Japanese version instead of the others.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

jpx72 wrote:On nesdev wiki about Sunsoft5b pinout is a information about relation of pins 3 or 18 with audio output, but on the PCB photo it looks like nothing is connected to these pins...
I started tracing that (from photos) a while ago; the traces from the capacitors go under the SS5B IC and I can't figure them out beyond there. At that point I verified 50% of the rest and then just copied and pasted kevtris's FME7 schematic.
byemu wrote:Gimmick (J) use the cartridge pin 45 and 46!
Yes, it's a famicom game with expansion audio? The question was about the IC.

But here's my best effort, from looking at both sides of the board. Pins 3 and 18 I can't precisely follow.
Attachments
ss5ba.png
ss5ba.png (1.4 KiB) Viewed 13990 times
jpx72

Post by jpx72 »

Great work lidnariq, thanks for the effort! Could someone with the actual cart confirm that?
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

So what differs between Sunsoft-5A and FME-7?
byemu

Post by byemu »

B00daW wrote:So what differs between Sunsoft-5A and FME-7?
Need more test!
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

I bet testing an NSF with a Sunsoft-5A cart dongled to a TNS-HFC3 cart would be enlightening. ENIO could also pay a roll in helping out with a lot more debugging and discoveries.
80sFREAK

Post by 80sFREAK »

jpx72 wrote:I have knowledge that some Dodge Danpei and Gremlins 2 cartridges (both Famicom) can have the Sunsoft 5B mapper inside .
But according to NEScartDB (Gimmick- Gremlins2)the original Gimmick (J) has it wired differently and added 4 caps and 3 resistors. Can anyone who actually owns Gimmick (J) trace the connections of the mapper to see where the extra components are connected to? On nesdev wiki about Sunsoft5b pinout is a information about relation of pins 3 or 18 with audio output, but on the PCB photo it looks like nothing is connected to these pins...
There is some traces under the chip. Anyone want to crack their Gimmick and desolder mapper chip? C'mon, it's for science :wink:
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

80sFREAK wrote: There is some traces under the chip. Anyone want to crack their Gimmick and desolder mapper chip? C'mon, it's for science :wink:
We do have multimeters now a days with such things like continuity check that allow you to answer these questions by non-destructive means...
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
80sFREAK

Post by 80sFREAK »

The keyword is "crack" and "desolder" is just to make it more dramatic :wink:

Still no volunteers :?