Yet another Super FX devcart

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Drakon

Yet another Super FX devcart

Post by Drakon »

It runs 4, 8, 16 mbit eproms, has a battery circuit, has 512k of ram wired up, has all necessary connections on a header at the back for overclocking.

Markfrizb

Re: Yet another Super FX devcart

Post by Markfrizb »

nice work! i've been working on a similar project too. I tried switching out the resonator with others but It didn't do much for me. I LOVE the yoshi's island hacks! my son and I have been playing the same one you got there.... fun game!

Here is a pic of my "save" circuit. It's part of a bigger circuit that also increases the sram size and sram bank switching to compliment the "removable rom board" for easy reprogramming and "multi-fx" carts. One cart I made has 5 different yoshi games on it -- all with their individual save banks. But incase i didn't want to go to all that trouble of swapping the srams, etc... I made it so i could cut off the save side of the circuit board and it would still function only as a save circuit.... kind of a 2 in 1 feature....
Attachments
fx save sm.jpg
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Don't do the resonator thing it's dumb. Just disconnect the superfx clock trace from everything and wire up a 4 pin oscillator straight to it. If you ever want original speed just wire it into pin 1 of the cartridge connector. Since different superfx games overclock to different speeds I just make stand alone single game only carts. I guess a yoshi's island multicart is a good idea since the game doesn't need overclocking and there's a few romhacks out there.

Oh cool you built a battery circuit for the doom pcb that doesn't come with one.
blargg

Post by blargg »

I like the back of your cart in the original post. It's like someone who's had an operation and has a tube port in their skin somewhere.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

blargg wrote:I like the back of your cart in the original post. It's like someone who's had an operation and has a tube port in their skin somewhere.
Haha thanks. Matrix style? The goal is just something where you can easily change all the parts except for the ram chip. Wasn't aiming for the cleanest look, just to get it done as quickly as possible.