Sweet!

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Celius

Sweet!

Post by Celius »

I've just cut the cords off of one of my SNES/Sega Genisis/NES adapters, and I hooked it up to a 9V battery, hooked it into my NES, and it worked! I could really benifit from this. Do you think I could somehow hook like the PS1 screen or something like that up to the NES, and have a cool play-it-in-the-car NES? Has anyone tried this before? I know Kevtris came up with the portendo, but has anyone tried like what I'm trying?

Edit: I could hook that up to this and I could have a NES in the car dude! I could put a fake case around the TV with the controller right underneath, and it'd be really cool! I'd have the NES on the floor, and the TV/Controller in my hands! This would be awesome! I should get this TV, and post pics of my "invention" that other people have probably thought of already. But if no one has, then cool!
Last edited by Celius on Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Your NES may run off of a 9V battery, but it won't last more than a few minutes. If you wanted to power it for a reasonable amount of time, six AA batteries would probably work a bit better, though a portable LCD screen with composite input would suck the batteries dry in under an hour.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Celius

Post by Celius »

I wouldn't have the batteries powering the portable TV, that'd be madNES. Haha, I had to crack that corny joke. Anyways, I will see how long the 9V battery lasts. I had a brand new one. I've been using it for like 5 minutes, it didn't get hot or anything. I know that doesn't mean it won't run out, but it seemed to be working fine. I'll see though.
blargg

Post by blargg »

I've just cut the cords off of one of my SNES/Sega Genisis/NES adapters, and I hooked it up to a 9V battery, hooked it into my NES, and it worked!
You're lucky that the NES is one of the few systems (I know of) powered by AC. If it were DC, you'd of had a 50% chance of getting the polarity wrong. I imagine the NES is quite a power hog, so you'll need some significant battery volume to power it for very long. If this is for use in a car just use a 12V to 9V adaptor.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Yeah, adaptators are really easy to do with a LM317 chip. I made one at scool.
AC is turned into DC anyway, most likely by a diode circuitry. Polarity can be bothersome or unsignificant in funtion of how the circuitry is made. If they use 4 greatz diodes so any voltage become positive, polarity is unsignificant.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Celius

Post by Celius »

Well, I did play my NES for at LEAST 25 minutes on a 9V battery. The battery still has life, so it will be fine, I think. If I'm on my way to Duluth (The nearest city with a mall, stores, and stuff like that, which is an hour and a half away), I can just get my portable battery TV, and play some NES for a little bit. And I can go to the store "GameQuest" where my brother lives, and I can test games before I buy them, if they let me take the thing into the store.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

25 minues is very long when you're following courses at scool, but it is incredibly short when you're playing.
tepples

Post by tepples »

The real issues are 1. how much fuel it would take to get an alternator to generate enough power to put one hour's worth of gameplay into a car battery, 2. how much it would cost for the store to get its own d**n NES to test products with, and 3. how much you value being able to play games not supported by PocketNES on Game Boy Advance (mostly mmc2, mmc4, mmc5, and less-common mappers used by games with a lot of kana text).
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

Celius wrote:Well, I did play my NES for at LEAST 25 minutes on a 9V battery. The battery still has life, so it will be fine, I think. If I'm on my way to Duluth (The nearest city with a mall, stores, and stuff like that, which is an hour and a half away), I can just get my portable battery TV, and play some NES for a little bit. And I can go to the store "GameQuest" where my brother lives, and I can test games before I buy them, if they let me take the thing into the store.
I'm surprised it lasted that long.

Anyways, when we used to go on trips, I made my NES portable, and I had a TV to go with it. I used a 7809 regulator, but on retrospect this is not needed. You could power the NES directly off of the car battery since it just has a 7805 in there to get its 5V. The 9VAC is rectified and filtered inside the console, and comes out to around 11.5V (Accounting for two diode drops in the bridge).

A car has around 14.5V on it when the engine is running, and after diode drops this is 13.3V or so... this will be fine for the NES and you shouldn't have any troubles at all.

I had a 7809 regulator I used to power the portable TV... it accepted the car voltage in and output 9V to run it. No great shakes. I had it in a plastic box with a good heatsink on it and it was fine.
/* this is a comment */
Celius

Post by Celius »

I was thinking of this kind of thing, but with the SNES now. Is this possible to do with the SNES? And could it be done with 10.5 volts, because I could hook a 9V to a AA to get that, correct? Would it cause major problems to have it half a volt over what it's supposed to be?
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

Celius wrote:I was thinking of this kind of thing, but with the SNES now. Is this possible to do with the SNES? And could it be done with 10.5 volts, because I could hook a 9V to a AA to get that, correct? Would it cause major problems to have it half a volt over what it's supposed to be?
You can run the SNES off of 9V just fine. It runs the input voltage through a 7805 to get the 5V that runs everything else. There might be a few analog bits that run on the input voltage, but I highly doubt it.
/* this is a comment */
Celius

Post by Celius »

Blargg was talking about the NES being one of the only systems that runs off of AC. Does the SNES as well?
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Hey, the SNES have the EXACT SAME power device as the NES.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Why don't you just buy one of these:

I have one, it works great.
gannon

Post by gannon »

Because that's no fun :-P, plus, it uses a pirate chip so isn't 100% accurate.
If you're thinking of making systems portable I suggest you stop by http://benheck.com and http://portablesofdoom.org