74LS161 Binary Counter question

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

imagesowner2

74LS161 Binary Counter question

Post by imagesowner2 »

Hello there. First I ll introduce myself as this is my forst post. My name is Ryan and I have been using this board as reference for a long time. I just stated modding carts and making carts just recently and have found this board and the Nesdev wiki VERY VERY useful. So a BIG "Thanks" to everyone who has posted, Im sure Ive used your info.

My quesrtion today is about the Binary Counter 74LS161. IM trying to understand how the counter workds exactly. I stumbled up callan brown's tutorial on making a 4 in 1 multi cart and found that interesting. But I want to take it a step further and make a 8 in 1 or even a 16 in 1. But I am not sure exactly how the counter works and dont know how I would break it up into 8 banks or 16 banks.

Can someone help me undertsand how to do this please? I truely appreciate any help.

Ryan
lidnariq

Re: 74LS161 Binary Counter question

Post by lidnariq »

Rather than trying to anticipate exactly what your question is, have you read the datasheet?

for example, http://www.futurlec.com/74LS/74LS161.shtml

What would you like clarified?
Mbumstead

Post by Mbumstead »

Check out this link. In this tutorial he explains how to assemble a 4 in 1 multi cart. And references also being able to make use of 8 banks and 16 banks. That's what I need clarifying is exactly how the use 3 bits of the counter for 8 banks and 4 bits of the counter for 16 banks.

Here's the link.

http://callanbrown.com/index.php/super- ... -multicart

Thanks in advance
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Do you understand bitwise logic and binary? Connecting only the bottom two bits is equivalent to ANDing with 3 (because 3=2+1)