NESICIDE

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: NESICIDE

Post by tepples »

In [url=http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=76293#p76293]this post[/url], neilbaldwin wrote:PESTER THE AUTHOR OF
THIS EMULATOR TO PROPERLY
SUPPORT THE NES 2.0
EXTENSION TO THE INES
FORMAT
Do you plan on supporting SXROM any time soon to run PR8 (download) and the two Japanese games that use this board?
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

tepples wrote:
In [url=http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=76293#p76293]this post[/url], neilbaldwin wrote:PESTER THE AUTHOR OF
THIS EMULATOR TO PROPERLY
SUPPORT THE NES 2.0
EXTENSION TO THE INES
FORMAT
Do you plan on supporting SXROM any time soon to run PR8 (download) and the two Japanese games that use this board?
Sorry tepples...completely missed this. I'll look into it.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

NESICIDE version 1.0.039 is out.

NESICIDE v1.039 windows installer.

NESICIDE dependencies windows installer.
[/quote]

This version:

1. Addresses the issue identified in this thread. All projects should now compile - with the exception of Russian Roulette...I need to figure out why the Python build step is complaining about missing PIL. I don't recall it doing that before...but I know it's not a NESICIDE "bug".

2. Completely and more properly encapsulates Qt FamiTracker 0.4.1.1 into NESICIDE. The menu, tool bar, and status bar are no longer polluted with FamiTracker's debris. Instead, the entire FamiTracker application is contained within the tabbed editors area. Qt FamiTracker is also still [and always will be] provided as a stand-alone executable.

3. Includes latest updates to Qt FamiTracker, including bug fixes, support for MRU lists, and [forever and ever] on-going incremental updating on the path to a final formalized Qt FamiTracker release.

4. Includes updates and bug-fixes to the VICE integration, which is not yet perfect, but getting better.

5. Includes a source search path project properties setting to specify where to find source for the project for debugging. It autopopulates with relevant source paths to the CC65 toolchain library source files included in the install.

6. Addresses issues provided in PMs from bananmos and Jahrmander.
- The source navigator toolbar widget is no longer disabled on a failed compile. This means the file/symbol information in those lists could be a tad outdated but it does its best in allowing you to navigate to the files included in your project or indirectly included in it by inspection of the debug information file.
- The mixed-mode C/assembly view was found to have a limitation where it could cause a segfault. This has been fixed.
- The UI correctly prompts due to detection of external file modifications *only once* per affected file.

7. Fixes object destructors to prevent crashes on application close.

8. Fixes program lock-up on project closure.

9. Fixes program crash at start-up [was an uninitialized variable in the original FamiTracker source that was causing occasional divide-by-zero errors].

As usual, bug reports, enhancement requests, always welcome.
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

Won't support for iNES 2.0 effect like 0.00001% of ROMs?
tepples

Post by tepples »

At least these games are directly affected by lack of NES 2.0 support:
  1. Holy Diver uses one of two mirroring types for mapper number 78. This mirroring type (H/V switch) uses submapper 3.
  2. Uchuusen: Cosmo Carrier uses the other mirroring type. This mirroring type (single-screen nametable switch, like AOROM) uses submapper 1.
  3. StarTropics uses a different PRG RAM enable method compared to standard MMC3.
  4. Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II uses the same method as StarTropics.
  5. Nobunaga's Ambition uses SOROM, which uses a spare CHR bank bit to switch between two PRG RAM chips.
  6. So does Genghis Khan.
  7. So does Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
  8. Final Fantasy I+II uses SXROM, which uses two spare CHR bank bit to switch among 4 banks of a larger PRG RAM chip.
  9. So does The Best Play Pro Yakyuu Special.
  10. So does PR8.
  11. Bandit Kings of Ancient China uses ETROM, which uses an MMC5 register to switch between two PRG RAM chips.
  12. So does L'Empereur.
  13. So does Ishin no Arashi.
  14. So does Nobunaga's Ambition II: Tales of the Sengoku Warlords.
  15. So does Uncharted Waters.
  16. Romance of the Three Kingdoms II uses EWROM, which uses an MMC5 register to switch among 4 banks of a larger PRG RAM chip.
  17. So does Nobunaga no Yabou: Bushou Fuuunroku (that is, Record of Generals in Turbulent Times; released outside Japan on Super NES and Sega Genesis as Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness).
  18. So does Aoki Ookami to Shiroki Mejika: Genchou Hishi (released outside Japan on Super NES as Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Gray Wolf).
  19. Games that don't exist yet (but might if NESICIDE supports it) run on boards sold by infiniteneslives that contain a clone of the MMC3 or FME-7 and 32 KiB CHR RAM.
In order for NES 2.0 support to affect only one out of ten million NES games, as you suggest, there'd have to be at least 180 million NES games in existence.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

In addition,
  • The MC-ACC MMC3 clone has an incompatible IRQ, so all of Acclaim's games that use it:
    • Alien³
    • George Foreman's KO Boxing
    • The Incredible Crash Dummies
    • Mickey's Safari in Letterland
    • Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball
    • Rollerblade Racer
    • The Simpsons: Bart vs. The World
    • The Simpsons: Bartman Meets Radioactive Man
    • Spider-Man: Return of the Sinister Six
    • T&C Surf Designs 2: Thrilla's Surfari
    • T2: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    • WWF King of the Ring
    • WWF WrestleMania: Steel Cage Challenge
  • Fire Hawk
  • All of the games that use the Namco 175 and 340:
    • Famista '91
    • Family Circuit '91
    • Chibi Maruko-chan: Uki Uki Shopping
    • Heisei Tensai Bakabon / Genius Bakabon
    • Famista '92
    • Top Striker
    • Famista '93
    • Famista '94
    • Splatterhouse
    • Wagyan Land 2
    • Dream Master
    • Wagyan Land 3
  • The one mapper 185 game that doesn't comply with the heuristic: Seicross (J) release 2
  • Major League (J)
  • Nantettatte!! Baseball
  • Every Vs. System game
It's closer to 5%.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

NESICIDE version 1.0.040 is out.

NESICIDE v1.040 windows installer.

NESICIDE dependencies windows installer.

This version:

1. Updates to latest CC65 version 2.14.0 available on GitHub - requested by Payton Byrd on cc65 mailing list for C=64 support.

2. Fixed issue causing multiple breakpoints to be created for the same line of code.

I also updated the NES AlterEgo project to include the FamiTracker modules in the NESICIDE project. One step closer to automating the song creation/inclusion steps in the IDE.

As usual, bug reports, enhancement requests, always welcome.[/quote]
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

WedNESday wrote:Won't support for iNES 2.0 effect like 0.00001% of ROMs?
Think people are either being a bit tongue-in-cheek or they've taken me a bit too literally. 8-)

I'm not saying that the extra header info isn't needed, just isn't there for most ROMs that people own.
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Could you add "Palette Window" which would you show NES palette and could copy HEX value of specific color? Would be useful when managing palettes in code.

Also "Show in explorer"/open with default program options for binary files, so I can execute e.g. MS PAINT or gimp for png file, etc.

//edit: Plus MMC3 template would be cool.
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

I think I've detected bug in NESICIDE's emulator: When game is running, there is some farting noise, similar to one when nes boots playing on like each frame. I've tested ROM with Nestopia and puNES and farting wasn't there so it is problem with your emulator. I'm giving you ROM in question to allow debugging.
Attachments
hello_world.nes
(24.02 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

darkhog wrote:I think I've detected bug in NESICIDE's emulator: When game is running, there is some farting noise, similar to one when nes boots playing on like each frame. I've tested ROM with Nestopia and puNES and farting wasn't there so it is problem with your emulator. I'm giving you ROM in question to allow debugging.
Thanks for the colorful description. I am aware of the issue but for me it wasn't so much a fart as a high-pitched occasional chirp - it appears to be because of the FamiTracker integration and the two different SDL audio configurations.

As for palette window and "open with..", sure, I can add that...
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Well, for me it seems to be low chirp (100-300hz range, I think), so essentially fart. Anyway I'd be happy if all examples (alter ego,etc) would be converted into templates and bundled in. Also some macro library, perhaps as part of nes.h that would do most of the things for dev (loading nametables, etc.) so less experienced devs would have headstart until they are able to write their own, optimized functions.

Furthermore, I think there is need for some middle-ground template between totally blank game and hello world template. Only boot code and .procs for nmi/irq/reset vectors without anything like drawing hello world, any game logic.
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Sorry for double post, but NESICIDE is crashing upon exiting (hitting X). It isn't constant either, I'd say it crashes 60% of the time. It isn't when using critical feature, so I think it can wait for the fix. I'm just making this thread "lit up" so you'll know.

//edit: About "show in explorer" feature. I'd like it work like similar feature in Unity. You basically right-click some file, use this feature and it opens Explorer with folder containing that file opened. Very useful when you want quickly open this folder, because you want either to add some things there, delete or modify.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

darkhog wrote:Sorry for double post, but NESICIDE is crashing upon exiting (hitting X). It isn't constant either, I'd say it crashes 60% of the time. It isn't when using critical feature, so I think it can wait for the fix. I'm just making this thread "lit up" so you'll know.
Thanks for the report. You can put a message on GitHub if you want...might be better that way. Easier to track, at least.
darkhog wrote://edit: About "show in explorer" feature. I'd like it work like similar feature in Unity. You basically right-click some file, use this feature and it opens Explorer with folder containing that file opened. Very useful when you want quickly open this folder, because you want either to add some things there, delete or modify.
So what you really want is a "Open containing folder..." option as in FireFox's downloads pane?
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Yeah, that would be enough.

//edit: Also two things:
- Being able to use regular .CHR files for graphics (unless it can be done already)
- "Tools" menu where you can set path to exe and caption of tool to execute (and of course add/remove items). I prefer using YY-CHR for graphics and NES Screen Tool for nametables. There isn't anything wrong with your tools, it's just my personal preference, that's all.