Future compo ideas

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Future compo ideas

Post by tepples »

After we get Double Action 53: Volume 2 finished, I'm hoping for a volume 3 and a volume 4. And after that, a remix volume.
  1. STREEMERZ: Action 53 Function 16 Volume One (4 Mbit)
  2. Double Action 53: Volume 2 (4 Mbit)
  3. Unnamed Action 53 Volume 3 (4 Mbit)
  4. Unnamed Action 53 Volume 4 (4 Mbit)
  5. Unnamed Action 53 Remix Volume (4-8 Mbit)
  6. Action 53 (16 Mbit)
In the same way that a yearbook of The World Book Encyclopedia* updates older articles, the remix volume would act like a "yearbook". Its games would come from a compo whose theme is improving on an existing game from one of the first four volumes. One might start from the source code of an existing game from a previous volume. Or re-create an early game in the more sophisticated engine, such as integrating NES15 with 2048. Or port it to Pygame or something, polish the tar out of it, and port it back to NES.

* You might not recognize it, but it's how people looked up basic information on subjects before there was a Wikipedia.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Re: Future compo ideas

Post by JRoatch »

I approve of the remix idea. It at least gives me an incentive to work with other source code bases, instead of tending to reinvent everything all the time.

As the flash save functionality is worked out, the app compo would become more desirable. Being able to load and save data is kind of a requirement for computer like tools. For example, after working a bit with simple physics math I felt like I wanted to make a movement designing tool that runs in the NES.
tepples

Bee 53

Post by tepples »

"Right about now its time to rock with the biggity Buck Bumble."

With the campaigns to promote awareness of the decline of bees, I wonder how much buzz a bee-themed category in the next compo might attract.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

So it was recently mentioned that the ultimate game should have DPCM orchestra hits. Would it be cool to have a shared dedicated bank of dpcm samples to be used by future (or remixed) compo games? Of course there would have to be a solid agreement of how to do sharable interrupts. Like maybe a jmp indirect from $07fa-$07ff as described in blargg's romless format.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Re: Bee 53

Post by NESHomebrew »

tepples wrote:"Right about now its time to rock with the biggity Buck Bumble."

With the campaigns to promote awareness of the decline of bees, I wonder how much buzz a bee-themed category in the next compo might attract.
I like bees, probably more than most! I plan on raising them once I move into my new place. That aside, I like the idea of going with a theme. This seems to work well in other competitions.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Would it be cool to have a shared dedicated bank of dpcm samples to be used by future (or remixed) compo games?
A bunch of 16K games using a common 16K sample bank would be interesting. But we'd have to decide which samples to include.

And while we're brainstorming themes: How about a water-themed game or app that must fit in 7168 bytes? 水 (Japanese for "water") looks like 7K.
tepples

Post by tepples »

dougeff

Post by dougeff »

+1 on bee theme.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

I was talking with infiniteneslives just the other day. I figure it is about time to do an update in terms of funds and such. There has been a bit of an influx of sales since the AVGN video came out.
Grapeshot

Post by Grapeshot »

We could call this one Bee 53.