FamiTracker won't load my .wav file for DPCM

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

raydempsey

FamiTracker won't load my .wav file for DPCM

Post by raydempsey »

I am just starting to learn about incorporating sound into my games but FamiTracker isn't working properly. I am trying to load a .wav DPCM sample but all I hear is silence. I loaded a .wav file that someone else used that worked just fine. How come some .wav files seem to load just fine while others don't?
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Re: FamiTracker won't load my .wav file for DPCM

Post by cpow »

raydempsey wrote:I am just starting to learn about incorporating sound into my games but FamiTracker isn't working properly. I am trying to load a .wav DPCM sample but all I hear is silence. I loaded a .wav file that someone else used that worked just fine. How come some .wav files seem to load just fine while others don't?
Have you tried asking this here?

Also, might want to include what version of FamiTracker you're using and possibly even the WAV that doesn't import properly.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I'd try opening it in an audio editor, then save as a WAV. It's not uncommon for an audio file's format to not match it's extension. Without having access to the wav files, we can only guess.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

I am using the latest version of FamiTracker (v0.4.3). I checked its properties and indeed it is a WAV file. As an experiment, I am attempting to load the audio file I attached here.
Attachments
WAV file.zip
(278.11 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
tepples

Post by tepples »

1. It's stereo. Try converting it to mono.
2. It's at 44100 Hz. Try sampling it down to one of the sample rates that the NES supports.
3. It's longer than 32768 samples, the limit for a sample on the NES. You might have to break it into two samples.
4. It's quiet. Try "normalizing" the file, or amplifying it such that the tallest peak is at full volume. For this wave, you'll need to amplify it by about 26 dB.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Thank you. It works now. It needed to be louder. I have to cut it into smaller pieces like you said.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

tepples, the Famitracker WAV import will resample to the specified target samplerate. It is fine to use a 44.1kHz WAV as input. The only advantage to resampling ahead of time is you can choose the resampling method instead of whatever Famitracker does (if it's inadequate somehow).
tepples

Post by tepples »

That and resampling in advance makes it easier to see if the sample is too long.
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

rainwarrior wrote:tepples, the Famitracker WAV import will resample to the specified target samplerate. It is fine to use a 44.1kHz WAV as input. The only advantage to resampling ahead of time is you can choose the resampling method instead of whatever Famitracker does (if it's inadequate somehow).
Moreover, the new resampler uses a Hamming-windowed sinc kernel in a polyphase FIR filter with a reasonable kernel size, so it should be good enough—no more nearest neighbor interpolation/straight decimation.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))