Mystic Searches / The New 8-bit Heroes

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Memblers
Site Admin

Mystic Searches / The New 8-bit Heroes

Post by Memblers »

This is not my project, but since I don't think it's been mentioned here, I wanted everyone to see this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... eation-doc

summary quote:
The creation of a new 8-bit game for the NES, a documentary about its creation, and tutorials to help others make their own NES games.

The guy behind it is a member of the forum here, also. I think it's a cool project, and definitely has some potential to make more people aware that development on the NES is more accessible than may be commonly thought. I'm hoping the game cartridge would be usable as a dev cart, that's been my main suggestion, and it's probably the direction it was heading anyways.

----------

edit: 10-18-2015
The trailer for the film has been released. Check it out:
https://vimeo.com/142582274
thefox

Re: Mystic Searches / The New 8-bit Heroes

Post by thefox »

Nice, I think I saw a video of this earlier. It looks like the KS campaign is well run and will meet the goal.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

I'm really hoping this meets it's goal. I've been plugging it where I can, but of course like most kickstarters it starts to slow down after the first few days.

Besides the large donations make for the Executive Producer tiers, it seems like most support is for the actual game and not the documentary. I'm wondering if this would have gained more traction if it was marketed as a game with a documentary, instead of a documentary with a game (or 2 games technically).
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

Pledged $20! I really want to see the documentary.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
djcouchycouch

Post by djcouchycouch »

Two interlinked games, tutorials and a documentary with the project lead taking on programming and film producing? All in a year? Did I understand that right?

It's simply too ambitious. Too many KS projects have failed where they were only trying to do one of those things. They don't need to do so much.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Could potentially be three game projects if someone took the $10,000 tier reward. I don't really understand the budget, with only $7200 allocated "the team" of 9 people? This makes me presume that the bulk of the labour has to be unpaid. Either this, or there is additional funding from somewhere else, but that doesn't sound like the case, especially with the $10k tier offer. Anyhow, I don't want to speculate too much about somebody else's money (even though a Kickstarter campaign is an open invitation to do so), just giving my brief assessment here.

I am most interested in the documentary part. I think it's clear he's got a talent for that kind of thing, and I would love to see it, even if it ended up being about a failed game. I want to see it all succeed, and I hope it makes it, but I would buy in just for the documentary.
OneCrudeDude

Post by OneCrudeDude »

I pledged $50 because I want to support the arts, but I will say that this isn't without it's faults. If I was him, I would've come here and see if I could recruit people who actually have experience with the NES, and not some movie composers or fantasy authors or other people of irrelevant professions. I would also make it entirely about the NES game, with a faux-retro game (which was the base game) being the more accessible version that will make the most money. Finally, the game just doesn't look interesting or promising, partly due to the game being programmed by someone who isn't a programmer, and the team doesn't have anyone who could think outside the box.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Memblers is on the list of people, and Sivak. Sivak is a bad programmer, but he can help at least. Memblers though I'd assume to be pretty good.
OneCrudeDude

Post by OneCrudeDude »

I thought Memblers was just there for the documentary? And since this looks to be a Zelda-like game, with no true scrolling, I think Sivak will be good enough.

I might have my history wrong, but wasn't Memblers' Garage Kart the very first homebrew NES game ever programmed (and then made into a cartridge)?
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

I think you need to recheck the details. He has been teaching game design for over 8 years. So he is a programmer, but this is his first public project for the NES.

As for the other programmers, they are a part of the documentary, not the game.
slobu

Post by slobu »

3gengames wrote:Memblers is on the list of people, and Sivak. Sivak is a bad programmer, but he can help at least. Memblers though I'd assume to be pretty good.
It's the morning (before coffee) so my humor RAM is still filled with random garbage.

Is this teasing your buds or a statement that you can make successful games without being a genius coder?
thefox

Post by thefox »

It is really, really unfair and incorrect to call Sivak a bad programmer.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

3gengames wrote:Sivak is a bad programmer
Only in the sense that Michael Jackson was a bad singer.

And the whole world has to answer right now just to tell you once again
Who's bad?

Do we want a repeat of the drama from two years ago?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

3gengames wrote:Sivak is a bad programmer
He might not be the most knowledgeable NES/game coder ever, but you have to admit that going from absolute newbie to having released 2 incredibly successful NES games in such a short timespan was pretty amazing. AFAIK, the Battle Kid games are the most successful NES homebrews to date, and even though their engine isn't particularly impressive, the fact that he managed to go come up with all that content and actually finish 2 long games is more than you can say about any other NES programmer today.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Well, if we all accepting copy-and-pasting the most important parts of the engine, having to develop minimal software instead of making it great, I don't see it as all that hard myself. But fair enough.