Can I use a TSOP to make 8 megabit LoRom repros? (SNES)

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
nepharax

Can I use a TSOP to make 8 megabit LoRom repros? (SNES)

Post by nepharax »

Hi all, I'm new here - but I've been reading up on how to create repros.

I understand that you can use an 29f032 to make larger games, but what if I want to use a 16Megabit TSOP (16 Mbit (2Mbx8)) to make an 8 megabit game?

I acquired 10 29f016b chips and I'd like to use them for that purpose.

In addition, from what I can tell - the 8 Mb cartridge boards MASKROM only has 32 pins whereas a larger game MASKROM has 36 pins.

The DIP36-TSOP40 adapters I have (adapter III) have more pins (4) than these 8 megabit boards have. Is there any documentation or advice anyone could offer on what I'd need to do to use the 36-pin TSOP board on a 32-pin board?

Appreciate any help with this.

Thanks!
lidnariq

Re: Can I use a TSOP to make 8 megabit LoRom repros? (SNES)

Post by lidnariq »

nepharax wrote:I understand that you can use an 29f032 to make larger games, but what if I want to use a 16Megabit TSOP (16 Mbit (2Mbx8)) to make an 8 megabit game?
Either duplicate the 1MiB of data (e.g. copy /b 1MB.BIN+1MB.BIN 2MB.BIN), or tie the EEPROM's A20 line to Vcc or Gnd.
In addition, from what I can tell - the 8 Mb cartridge boards MASKROM only has 32 pins whereas a larger game MASKROM has 36 pins.
8Mbit = 1 Mbyte.
1 Mbyte → 8 data lines + 2 power lines + 2 control lines + 20 address lines = 32 pins
The DIP36-TSOP40 adapters I have (adapter III) have more pins (4) than these 8 megabit boards have. Is there any documentation or advice anyone could offer on what I'd need to do to use the 36-pin TSOP board on a 32-pin board?
Look up the datasheets for the parts. In general, all inputs need to be connected to something, either an address line or power or ground.
MaarioS

Post by MaarioS »

Basically the TSOP40-DIP36 adapter was intended to use for SNES so the pinout is the same as mask ROMs on the board. It looks exactly like this:

Well in your case if you're using 29F016, it looks more like this:

So if you want to use it as 1MB chip on a 32pin socket, I'd suggest this solution:
1.Double 1MB image to get 2MB in total
2.Program your chip like normal, just put it in the adapter, choose 29F016 and write the image
3.After you program it, remove 4 upper legs from the chip (pins 1,2, 35 & 36)
4.Connect the legs as shown in the picture (just connect pins 1, 34, 35 & 36 together)
nepharax

Post by nepharax »

Thank you both for your detailed responses.

Here's the data sheet on these particular chips.

http://pccomponents.com/datasheets/ST-M29F016B.PDF

The pinout looks different from the one for the other 29F016.
MaarioS

Post by MaarioS »

The pinout of your memory matches mine so the above instructions I provided to you should do the job
nepharax

Post by nepharax »

MaarioS wrote:The pinout of your memory matches mine so the above instructions I provided to you should do the job
How do you figure? I compared it and I only see 3 similar pinouts between the two. Am I looking at it wrong?

MaarioS

Post by MaarioS »

What I showed you above is actually not the pinout of your TSOP memory but rather pinout of that TSOP->DIP adapter and it presents the final rearranged DIP36 pinout. This is the entire point of this- adapter, it's supposed to rearrange the pins from memory to specific places where SNES expects them. If you don't really understand what I just said and you don't believe it- analyze the traces on this adapter, you'll confirm what I said

Or to put it simple: THIS is what you provided the pinout for:
http://i.imgur.com/cgjkhrf.jpg
and THIS is what I provided the pinout for:
http://i.imgur.com/RVFg4n6.jpg
Ah and by the way, in case you didn't know, remember to strap these pins:
http://i.imgur.com/aP7OWHv.jpg
nepharax

Post by nepharax »

Oh ok, I get you now. Sorry about that - I was confused by the pinout.

Thanks for your help!

Is this correct according to your layout?

MaarioS

Post by MaarioS »

Exactly, this is the correct way