Upcoming Wiki maintenance: 2015/03/15

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

koitsu

Upcoming Wiki maintenance: 2015/03/15

Post by koitsu »

This coming Sunday, 2015/03/15 @ 1600 PDT (UTC-0700), I will be upgrading our version of MediaWiki from 1.20.2 to 1.24.1. Full backups of the database and all MediaWiki source will be done before hand, so that if the upgrade does not go well we can roll back without repercussions.

I imagine this will take a couple hours (the upgrade should be quick, but testing things + updating any extensions we have may be tedious). I will be available on IRC (EFnet, #nesdev, nick koitsu) if people have questions or concerns. I don't know if Tepples will be around during that time, but if he is, he may also be able to shepherd questions.

Thanks!
tepples

Re: Upcoming Wiki maintenance: 2015/03/15

Post by tepples »

1600 PDT = 4 PM US Pacific Daylight Time
1900 EDT = 7 PM US Eastern Daylight Time
2300 UTC = 11 PM Coordinated Universal Time

Yes, I plan to be in #nesdev on EFnet at 19:00 EDT tomorrow night. I'll make my own HTML backup of the wiki before and after the maintenance, and afterward, I plan to release a new static HTML snapshot.
koitsu

Re: Upcoming Wiki maintenance: 2015/03/15

Post by koitsu »

The Wiki upgrade has completed successfully. It took longer than anticipated due to our mw1_objectcache table for MediaWiki being 1.2GB (clearing this took almost 25 minutes). No issues were encountered.

Users should note that the upgrade does change one default behaviour: any page you edit or create will be added to your "watchlist". You can change this default by logging in to the Wiki, clicking preferences in the upper right, then choose the Watchlist tab; refer to relevant checkboxes under Advanced.

If you encounter any issues, please make a post in the nesdevWiki board and we'll take care of it.

Thank you!