Palette Checker

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
UnDisbeliever

Re: Palette Checker

Post by UnDisbeliever »

Khaz wrote:My god man what do you DO to your stack? I mean I have a mostly-functional game on my hands at this point and I don't think my stack ever gets lower than about $1FD0ish. I try to avoid using it at all except to preserve registers and occasionally quickly store a value I'm going to use again in a second...
Maybe I'm being a little over-cautious in my stack space. I'm not sure where I pulled 512 bytes from.

I just ran Elevator Madness DX through a trace logger and the lowest the stack goes to $1FE2.

Somehow I kept thinking I was using more than that.

Well I'm going to change it to 128 bytes now.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Honestly, I never even use the stack. I originally wanted to use it to store information that would be loaded for the subroutine I was jumping to, but because it stores the value of where you jumped, it's pretty much useless for this, which is about the only thing I would use it for.
Khaz

Post by Khaz »

Espozo wrote:Honestly, I never even use the stack. I originally wanted to use it to store information that would be loaded for the subroutine I was jumping to, but because it stores the value of where you jumped, it's pretty much useless for this, which is about the only thing I would use it for.
I can't find the document anymore, but I was just reading about stack-relative addressing and ways to use it to pass variables to a subroutine. Here's a crude example that I'm probably doing wrong but should work:

Code: Select all

jsr subroutine
    .dw value1
    .dw value2

returnlabel:
    jmp _done

subroutine:
    plx    ;take the return address back off the stack

inx    ;this might not be needed can't remember if jsr pushes return address or return address -1
    lda.w $0000, x    ;read the first .dw into A
    inx
    inx
    ldy.w $0000, x    ;read the second .dw into Y
    [...]
    jmp returnlabel    ;jmp back instead of rts, because the return address is no longer on the stack
Alternately, I guess you can just push all your variables, JSR, pull the return address and store it, pull all the variables off, then push the return address again. That sounds like a better idea. (EDIT: The code I wrote is stupid since it jmps back, it's not a proper subroutine. What you could do to make it work is pass #returnlabel into the subroutine as another .dw, and use it at the end to return.)

My understanding is that using the stack like that may not save in cycles but you might eliminate the need to allocate a variable to store it to? I don't know, I tried to look up a quick example but it seems like there's a dozen different ways of doing this. It didn't seem worth getting into to me...

However, the stack is great for preserving a register you want to restore later. Mostly at the start and end of subroutines and interrupts, but here and there I'll just push A X or Y when I need the register but I'm going to need the value again in a bit, generally only when there's a straight path for the code to follow so you never forget to pull again...
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

Khaz wrote:I can't find the document anymore, but I was just reading about stack-relative addressing and ways to use it to pass variables to a subroutine.
viewtopic.php?p=143652#p143652 :wink:
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Unofficial SNES PowerPak firmware
(See my GitHub profile for more)
Sik

Post by Sik »

Khaz wrote:My understanding is that using the stack like that may not save in cycles but you might eliminate the need to allocate a variable to store it to?
This is the main reason why high level languages store local variables in the stack, actually.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Sik wrote:
Khaz wrote:My understanding is that using the stack like that may not save in cycles but you might eliminate the need to allocate a variable to store it to?
This is the main reason why high level languages store local variables in the stack, actually.
...and why they're not as good...
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Espozo wrote:
Sik wrote:
...and why they're not as good...
In C if you don't want the local variable on the stack, you can simply declare it "static". If you don't want to pass parameters on the stack, you can use global variables. The ability to use the stack for local variables is a feature, not a liability; you haven't lost any ability to do without it.
Sik

Post by Sik »

Espozo wrote:...and why they're not as good...
Behaving like everything should have larger sizes than adequate (at least unless overriden) and making it easier to perform rather expensive operations (sometimes to the detriment of faster ones) probably is a much bigger issue.