Simple table read...

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeGtake2

Simple table read...

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Alright, so this should work based on my understanding and other similar examples I have tried.

If I have a table that is simply this:

Code: Select all

DataTable:
    .db $0A, $0B, $0C, $0D

...and, want to call and store the appropriate value...

LDY $02
    LDA DataTable,y
    STA someAddress

...shouldn't the value $0C now be stored in someAddress?

And if I want to store a value to a higher address...

LDY $00
    LDA DataTable,y
    STA someAddress+2

...shouldn't the value $0A now be stored in the address that is two more from someAddress?

If I'm missing something, please let me know. Thanks!
rainwarrior

Re: Simple table read...

Post by rainwarrior »

The code provided isn't enough context. Edit: 43110 spotted the problem, see below.

The first question I'd ask is whether someAddress is in RAM?

The second question I'd ask is whether you've tried using a debugger? I highly suspect that this code itself does exactly what you think it does, and your problem lies elsewhere. Put a breakpoint on writes to someAddress or someAddress+2 and see if something else is messing with it.
Last edited by rainwarrior on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeGtake2

Post by JoeGtake2 »

What's frustrating is it's pretty simple. Just trying to draw to the spriteRam I set up (constant...spriteRam = $0200). I've done this a dozen times or more. There's a table which contains four bytes of tile data followed by four bytes of attribute data. I find the tile data (0-3), write it to spriteRam+1, and then add four to that value to get the address of the attribute data, which I write to spriteRam+2 (where spriteRam and spriteRam+3 are set to arbitrary x and y values).

so something like...

LDY $00
    LDA spriteGroup,y  ;; gives me the tile: y offset of the table with the label *spriteGroup*
    STA spriteRam+1

LDY $04
    LDA spriteGroup,y  ;; gives me the attribute: again, y offset of the table
    STA spriteRam+2

I'll run it through a debugger, but there's nothing present that would mess with this...it's just a tester file, and there is nothing else writing to the addresses. If I just put in values for spriteRam+1 and spriteRam+2 (like if I skip pulling from the spriteGroup table and just put the values in instead), they work fine, so it's definitely something to do with my table read?
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

JoeGtake2 wrote:

DataTable:
    .db $0A, $0B, $0C, $0D

LDY $02
    LDA DataTable,y
    STA someAddress
...shouldn't the value $0C now be stored in someAddress?
Without a '#' for loading a immediate value, that ldy is loading from the unlabeled variable $02

This happens to me way too many times.
JoeGtake2

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Ugh....disregard this entire thread. I might just delete it. I'm both not crazy and also completely careless. In my testing ground here, I was loading 'test' hex values to the attributes...not at all correlating to what they should have been in binary. There was nothing wrong with my table read, apparently. Just a stupid mistake in the tables themselves leftover from 'the old way' i was doing it.

What a waste of a morning teching THAT. ha!