More NSF Requests

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: More NSF Requests

Post by rainwarrior »

If you used Deflemask's method of SEI and driving playback by polling the frame counter, you could make one that runs on PowerPak, NSFPlay, and several other players.
tepples

Post by tepples »

But you'd still need to RTS occasionally to make the player's playback controls work.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

I tried to play Battletoads' NSF on foobar2000, and it played down the drums.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Yet again, I got a privately ripped NSF from Japan.
This is fully ripped with sound effects. I only edited the header information.
Attachments
Mouryou Senki Madara.nsf
(32.23 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Could somebody tell me where is this music came from?
*I swear I didn't renamed the file.*
Attachments
LXXX XXXXT (1993)(-)(69 Songs)[With SFX].nsf
(36.13 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

That one put my google skills to the test. It's from a game called Love Quest.

LXXX
LOVE

XXXXT
QUEST

All letters except the first and last were replaced with Xs. Heh. It's a Super Famicom game that had a famicom prototype. Here's a video of it on nicovideo (If you click play, it will create a popup. Clicking play in the popup should allow you to view it without a nico nico account.)

Track 36 is played right at the start of the video. Track 48 is heard about a minute in. At around the 2 minute mark in that video, you'll hear Track 42 from your NSF.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Thank you! :)
I wonder if the game was ever dumped (I guess not.)... seems like a cool little RPG game or somesort.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Well, hard to say. It could be a rip or it could be a compilation. Has some strange text in it:

STOP MUSIC..MAGIC.YOU WON.LEVEL UP!.YOU GOT ORDINARY ITEMS.YOU GOT IMPORTANT ITEMS.TRAIN ARRIVAL.TRAIN GOING.DOOR OF THE TRAIN.ANNOUNCE.PHONCALL.ATTACKED!.ATTACK ...HIT!.ATTACK ...MISS ....TOHBOH.FLASH!(WHEN YUKA DISAPPEARS).CRYSTAL GAZING FLASH!.KNOCK!.DOWN....JUMON.YOU GOT FRIENDS.FUE SOUNDS STRANGE.ASAKUSA NO SHIGOTONIN.HELICOPTER.EARTHQUAKE.PIPOPIPO.MAIN BGM IN SHIMOKITAZAWA.OPENING.THEME OF MITENE.BATTLE #1.FANFARE #1.FANFARE #2.BAR #2.DEPARTMENT STORE / SHOP.GAME OVER.BAR #1.MAIN BGM IN SHIBUYA.MAIN BGM IN ROPPONGI.BOSS BATTLE.WEDDING MARCH.KETSU RON.MYSTERIOUS LOVE.CRASH THE UNCHI!.APARTMENT.BUILDING.SCHOOL / HOSPITAL.IT IS QUIET.QUEEN ELIZADATH.VS KATHERINE.MAIN BGM IN SHINJUKU.MAIN BGM IN HARAJUKU.MAIN BGM IN OMOTESANDO.MAIN BGM IN ASAKUSA.MAIN BGM IN YOKOHAMA.THEME OF 'HITOMI'.THEME OF 'REIKO'.ENDING THEME.MAIN BGM ( OLD VERSION )

Haven't run it through a debugger yet to see if it writes to PPU registers.

But it's likely that someone's sitting on a dump (who also knows people who rip or can rip NSFs themselves) and were cheeky about the filename; or someone is sitting on the sound code and were cheeky about the filename.

That text suggests a possible sound select mode and maybe this chunk of code was ripped from that bank.

Edit:

There are no accesses to the PPU in this code. It's not impossible that this is a rip, but improbable.

Is this something that Gil Galad compiled from some sound engine code he asked for?
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

I have no idea. I just randomly found this in his NSF collection, what I'm trying to fix.
Doommaster1994

Post by Doommaster1994 »

I don't think so. Me and Gil used to ask developers for source code, but I don't recall getting any from Japanese developers. I remember once Fumito Tamayama was going to give me his music source, and never did. I think some of these developers want to say no, but are afraid to hurt your feelings, so they make up excuses or don't reply at all. Seems Japanese developers are more reluctant to give their source code.

It might be interesting to know that Love Quest uses the same sound driver as Janken Disk Shiro for the Famicom Disk System.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Again, I need a bit of help. I found this in Akumu's NSF Archive and I searched high and low and I simply can not find where this music comes from. :( I also don't know where #30 comes from which interestingly has somesort of DPCM samples as well. I know that there is a pirate cart named Capcom 30 In 1 but I couldn't find these musics in it.
Attachments
Capcom 30 in 1 #10.nsf
(32.13 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Drag

Post by Drag »

#10 is Legendary Wings

#30 I don't know
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Sik wrote:Can we have a rip of this game's music? Even if just because it's Shinobi's tracks on the NES =P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsBjl5nszlw

That port is surprisingly good for a bootleg o.o
Attachments
The Super Shinobi.nsf
(11.77 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
OneCrudeDude

Post by OneCrudeDude »

Regarding the Capcom 30 in 1, most, if not all, of the sounds/sounds are from Legendary Wings. Not surprising since Legendary Wings was a US exclusive title, and I don't think it was released elsewhere.

And shit, I remember LXXX XXXXT NSF. Good to know where it came from.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Thankfully now I figured out what was #10, but #30 is still a mystey. It even has some really jacked up PCM samples or something which is only listenable in NSFLive 0.95, in such a way that:
-You first open Capcom #10 with it, then right after #30, and it plays the samples.
I don't know why is this happening, but there is another one which works like this.
My only guess, is that this is either some chinese made music, which was hidden in that Capcom 30 In 1 ROM (which is basically functions as an NSF player for various Capcom games).
Attachments
Capcom 30 in 1 #30 - !Ismeretlen Hangfájl!.nsf
(16.14 KiB) Downloaded 183 times