[REQUEST] ASCII-ordered (ish) CHR version of Elnark Short

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

bootmii

[REQUEST] ASCII-ordered (ish) CHR version of Elnark Short

Post by bootmii »

I really, really like this font, but since the one on my computer has been wiped out due to an all-$F palette somehow becoming the default in YY-CHR, I would love any help you can give me.
To be honest, I mostly do wall-of-text nametables.
tepples

Re: [REQUEST] ASCII-ordered (ish) CHR version of Elnark Shor

Post by tepples »

I rearranged the glyphs into mostly ASCII order, made a couple minor changes to :; for consistency with other glyphs, and created a few missing glyphs *+<=>@[]{|}~.
Attachments
ElnarkShortASCII.png
ElnarkShortASCII.png (609 Bytes) Viewed 4487 times
freem

Post by freem »

I've converted tepples' PNG to CHR data (a single 4K page), as well as took my own stab at it.

The mapping for my version:

Code: Select all

il digraph: < ($3C)
ll digraph: = ($3D)
cursor: > ($3E), as in the original table
©: @ ($40)
←: [ ($5B)
li digraph: ($5C)
→: ] ($5D)
…: _ ($5F)
“: ` ($60)
↑: { ($7B)
l' digraph: | ($7C)
↓: } ($7D)
•: ~ ($7E)
bootmii wrote:the [font] on my computer has been wiped out due to an all-$F palette somehow becoming the default in YY-CHR
Sounds like you might need to replace yychr.pal and yychr.dat from the original files. Hopefully that will fix it.
Attachments
m-tee_elnark_short-ascii.chr
my conversion of the font as a 4K CHR page
(4 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
m-tee_elnark_short-ascii-tepples.chr
tepples' version of the font, converted to a 4K CHR page
(4 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Glad to see this font getting some love. Tepples' version looks pretty solid to me, save a few things. Thanks for those. (The difference between the semicolon and the comma were intended for aesthetics though)/

I'm sorry, but Freem's asterisk is pretty harsh. I'd suggest against it.

Anyway, I've taken a few of the additional characters from Tepple's version. I've also begun rearranging the additional characters into extended ASCII order. Now, the normal quotations are dumb quotes and smart quotes are in their appropriate place. I'll likely update this again.

Moreover, I aligned the characters within the center of the tiles. The whole point of making a 6-pixel high version of this font was to allow it to be used immediately above or below other graphic tiles without the graphics touching the letters (except for tails). By aligning the characters on the top row, it restricts their use immediately below other graphics.

http://files.mteegfx.com/MTeesElnarkShortASCII.chr
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Quite honestly, I've planned on updating all of my fonts at RHDN into proper ASCII order. This is actually the one I used for the RHDN logo as well.