Homebrew complexity

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

HJRodrigo

Post by HJRodrigo »

tokumaru, I would like to see a homebrew game that has the complexity of sonic :P :wink:
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

HJRodrigo wrote:tokumaru, I would like to see a homebrew game that has the complexity of sonic :P :wink:
That's what I'm going for (I want something between the SMS games and the MD games in terms of complexity), hopefully we'll see it! =)
tepples

I don't want to be sued

Post by tepples »

So we've determined that it takes art to back up complexity, and even if a working engine demo posted on the right forum attracts artists we need some sort of seed contribution to get the engine started. But one of the reasons I'm not taking the easy way to art is that plenty of fan games have been cease-and-desisted. Case in point: Chrono Trigger Resurrection. I fear what Sega might do to tokumaru's project.
UncleSporky

Re: I don't want to be sued

Post by UncleSporky »

tepples wrote:I fear what Sega might do to tokumaru's project.
Really? What have they done so far about these unlicensed flash movies and games? Specifically this one?

Why isn't this whole web site shut down?

Why is cease and desist a fear if he works on it discreetly and releases it with little fanfare? a) the ROM will already be out to the world at large and thus impossible to fully eliminate on their part and b) his engine will be done, and all it takes are a few graphical changes to make it something completely different.

Chrono Resurrection's mistake was releasing a trailer and getting the internet excited. Everyone keeps bringing it up because it was a high profile c&d, but it was also six years ago. I can't think of very many, if any, video game c&ds prior or since.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Someone once made a YTMND, which Caught Sega's Attention. (NSFW language on either)
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
mikejmoffitt

Re:

Post by mikejmoffitt »

tokumaru wrote:Back when I talked about my Sonic project on the Sonic Retro boards people suddenly started making NES versions of the songs, I got PMs from people that wanted to draw sprites, and I didn't even ask for any of this.
Haha, hello, I was one of those!

I think a lot of projects need to be somewhat pre-planned. Porting a game is easier in some ways because the thought of "which game mechanics will be interesting and challenging?" and "how will levels / areas of progression be designed in a way that makes the game evolve as it goes forwards without being repetetive?" can be crucial to the engine development. Not a lot of great games come out of just making an engine with all the bells and whistles when a game hasn't been designed for it.
fishybawb

Re: Homebrew complexity

Post by fishybawb »

This seems to be a recurring theme on this forum, people complaining about lack of quality in homebrew/people doing things "wrong", and general attacks for other things (oh, it's not free!). The common denominator appears to be that none of the people complaining have ever actually released anything themselves.

This forum is unparalleled in terms of knowledge and information about all things Nintendo, but it's also the most nitpicking, anal, and easily distracted (see number of thread splits) collection of people I've ever seen.

And to anyone criticising someone else's work - put up, or shut up.

And hello, I'm new :)
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

fishybawb wrote:This seems to be a recurring theme on this forum, people complaining about lack of quality in homebrew/people doing things "wrong", and general attacks for other things (oh, it's not free!). The common denominator appears to be that none of the people complaining have ever actually released anything themselves.
So, just because you think a movie is bad, you can't complain because you've never made a movie yourself?
fishybawb wrote:but it's also the most nitpicking, anal, and easily distracted (see number of thread splits) collection of people I've ever seen.
Is this the first forum you've ever seen? :lol: Any other forum I've seen would have issued temporary ban warnings for bumping a topic that was last commented on 5 years ago (I know you weren't the one who did this). You can thank me for a majority of the thread splits. :lol:
fishybawb wrote:And hello, I'm new :)
Nice to meet you?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

And you used your first post to complain about people who complain?
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

What posts are nitpicky?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Here, substantial bumps tend to be encouraged on the logic set forth in the short film "Posting and You": "It is always better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one."
fishybawb

Post by fishybawb »

Espozo wrote: So, just because you think a movie is bad, you can't complain because you've never made a movie yourself?
That's not quite an accurate analogy, it's more like you can make a movie, know everything about movies, but get so lost in the minutea involved, that you've never made a movie yourself, despite claiming that you want to/are. That's not aimed at you, but hopefully you know what I mean :)
Espozo wrote: Is this the first forum you've ever seen? :lol: Any other forum I've seen would have issued temporary ban warnings for bumping a topic that was last commented on 5 years ago (I know you weren't the one who did this). You can thank me for a majority of the thread splits. :lol:
Hahaha, no, I'm well acquainted with forums (fora?), and for what it's worth, I certainly wasn't thinking of you when I mentioned the splits. I've been a lurker for a while, I've really enjoyed educating myself.
Espozo wrote: Nice to meet you?
And nice to meet you? Haha, no need for the question mark, I'm a nice guy really. This forum is the pinnacle of all NES/Famicom knowledge as far as I'm concerned, and the members of it are usually very helpful. What annoys me is the attitude exhibited by people so obsessed by the "right" way of doing things that they end up doing nothing themselves and just arguing endlessly over technical details. The intimate technical details and optimisations are awesome, but not when they're aimed at someone trying to make their first game, or someone who has released something deemed "not complex enough", whatever that means.

Just my opinion, and of course you're free to ignore/criticise as you feel fit.

I'd like to thank everyone for their contributions over the years, this is a great resource for NES/Famicom development :)
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

Did you know Espozo likes IREM?

We need to make sure everyone gets the memo on this. :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

"He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches."
--George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionists

"Real artists ship."
--Attributed to Steve Jobs

Perhaps what fishybawb is trying to say is that some of the more purist programmers on this board would do well to release a playable tech demo.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

tepples wrote:"Real artists ship."--Attributed to Steve Jobs
Real artists do get credit from other people who do their junk for them. Steve Jobs is a tool, and it makes me sick that their making another movie about him, even sicker than me accidentally scratching my Wii U, and that's saying something.

Anyway... :lol:
tepples wrote:Perhaps what fishybawb is trying to say is that some of the more purist programmers on this board would do well to release a playable tech demo.
I've been here for a little over a year now and I still haven't made anything. :oops: (To be fair though, I don't think I've criticized anything other than Quest Forge: Order of Kings) I still hope to make something like Pong on the Irem M92.