I broke WLA DX.

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.

I broke WLA DX.

Post by 93143 »

I replaced the old 2003 version I was using with the latest build from the thread at the top of this section. When I ran it (via the wla.bat in the SNES Starter Kit), it froze during the assembly step. I tried this a couple of times, closing the terminal window each time after the freeze. When I tried to delete the new files so I could restore the old ones, it told me System was using wla-65816, so I checked Task Manager, and there were half a dozen instances of it running, only two of which I could end; the rest were zombies.

I rebooted and deleted the file, and restored the old files. It didn't fix the problem. The running process size is different, so I know it's not somehow running the new version, but every time I try it, it freezes, spawning three wla-65816.exe processes. I can't ctrl+C out of it, and I can only end one of the processes if I've already closed the terminal, or none of them if it's still open.

This is very disturbing, in addition to thoroughly trashing my plan to finish up a rather complicated Mode 7 test I've been working on. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

I mean, I could just give up and transition to ca65 like I've been meaning to, but...

EDIT: Not sure what went wrong last night, but (a) replacing the new files with archived copies of the old files does work, and (b) even the new version works on at least one older project, though it does still hang on at least two newer ones.
Last edited by 93143 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khaz

Re: I broke WLA DX.

Post by Khaz »

Welp! I'm sticking with the version I've got 'till I die then. o.o
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

@93143, which version of Windows are you using? Is it running on an actual PC, or on a VM? What are your hardware specs? Lastly, did the old version of WLA ever work for you? If so, please provide the full (and latest) sources of your project.
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Unofficial SNES PowerPak firmware
(See my GitHub profile for more)

Post by 93143 »

Okay, part of this is apparently a false alarm. I don't know if my computer was overheating, or I somehow got some wires crossed in my brain, or what, but overwriting the new files with the old files (I had archived copies of several projects that included the assembler files) works fine.

And I just tried the new version of WLA on an older project, and it worked (though a bit more slowly than I'm used to, maybe a couple seconds).

So I'm back in business. As long as I don't use the new version on my newer projects, because that still doesn't work (it's been something like ten minutes and it's still stuck on the assembly step, with all three "wla-65816.exe *32" processes using 112K and 0% CPU).

Since the new version still hangs on some inputs, I will proceed with responding to your request for information.
Ramsis wrote:@93143, which version of Windows are you using? Is it running on an actual PC, or on a VM? What are your hardware specs?
I'm running Windows 7 Professional SP1 (v6.1.7601) on a Dell Inspiron 1720 from 2008 with Dell's BIOS version A09, with a 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 CPU, a GeForce 8600M GT graphics card, and 4 GB of RAM. The 320 GB hard drive seems to be manufactured by (Standard disk drives), but it's a replacement from a couple of years ago so it should be fine.

Do you need anything else?
Lastly, did the old version of WLA ever work for you? If so, please provide the full (and latest) sources of your project.
Everything I've ever posted on here has been done with WLA. I'll PM you a copy of the test code that's freezing it, but I'd strongly prefer you keep it private as the graphics are a bit of a giveaway and I don't want my project public yet.

If you must know, I upgraded because I was attempting a meta-macro, and I had read a comment in the repository that suggested that a recent version would probably work much better. But on closer inspection, none of the macros in my metamacro take any parameters, so I'm probably okay...

And just for the record, I'm not switching to ca65 because I think WLA sucks. I'm switching because there's Super FX support available for ca65.

Post by 93143 »

Okay, so Ramsis reports no issues on his end. I guess it's something specific to my setup then. I might try to figure out what at some point.