Akumajo Densetsu problem

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Post by Guest »

Post by Guest »

drk421 wrote:So, either the newer Famicom has much higher output impedance, or they output level is just lower.
That's exactly what I was afraid of. I don't want to have to hunt down an original machine and then try to figure out how to record the sound from it without AV Out. And I have a feeling that if I tried to modify my NES, I'd just mess something up. Is there any other alternative? Could it possibly be the cart? Is there any way of verifying the higher output impedance/lower output level? I really don't see why they'd change something like that, since it would unavoidably screw up any game which uses a chip like that.

What do you make of the MP3?
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

Believe me, you have real Nintendo hardware, I have one myself with the same model information. No pirate outfit uses the inverted hex security screws that Nintendo uses or the Nintendo A/V output connector. Many pirate systems don't mix external cartridge sound with the internal sound at all.

I also have an Akumajou Densetsu cartridge. I have tested it, compared it to drk421's recording and if he really did record that from an original Famicom (without A/V) then you may be correct about the VRC-6 channels dominating the internal NES channels. Of course my TV's speakers may not be producing the ideal listening experience.

Isn't cool that the game has a sound test mode for people like us who want to compare our emulators to the real McCoy?

Post by Guest »

So then they -did- screw with the impedence/volume levels? Great, now I have to find an original Famicom somehow (hopefully with a disk system), or at least get a Famicom-to-NES converter and mod it to use with one of my NES's. Fleh.

And yes, the presence of Castlevania 3's sound test in combination with the awesome music was what got me into game music in the first place.
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

The levels may have been affected in the NES console as well...
drk421

Post by drk421 »

If I were you,
I'd save some money and just modify the Famicom you have.

Post by Guest »

drk421: Thanks for the recording. ^_^

Festalon 0.5.6 will have more accurate VRC6 emulation, at least...