super mario all star levels

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
coinheaven

super mario all star levels

Post by coinheaven »

has anyone tried to put this on a cart?

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1518/

i split the rom with cajones and it said it was a "trained rom"

i burned the eproms and put it on a cnrom and it didn't work. what is a trained rom?
dougeff

Re: super mario all star levels

Post by dougeff »

A trainer is special code which executes before the game is begun. It allows you to access cheats from a menu.

Quote source...
https://64bitorless.wordpress.com/rom-s ... lanations/
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

Something different with this one. With famirom it splits it into 3 files. The chr, the prg, and a 1 kb ffe file. I have not tried this yet to see if it works, but the fact it is separating a 3rd file leads me to believe I would be wasting my time.
tepples

Post by tepples »

FFE stands for Front Fareast, the company behind the Super Magic Card copier, which kyuusaku said was largely a clone of Bung's Game Doctor. Games were patched to work with the few mappers it supported, mostly GNROM and UOROM variants at first. Sometimes these patches needed extra space, and sometimes this extra space also included cheats.
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

tepples wrote:FFE stands for Front Fareast, the company behind the Super Magic Card copier, which kyuusaku said was largely a clone of Bung's Game Doctor. Games were patched to work with the few mappers it supported, mostly GNROM and UOROM variants at first. Sometimes these patches needed extra space, and sometimes this extra space also included cheats.

That's what I was reading. I was thinking the ffe file is a cheats or hack portion of this game and the fact it is being split out into it's own separate file means it will never work?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

"Train"ed games imply the presence of 512 bytes of RAM with pre-loaded contents, mapped from $7000-$71FF.

If the game image doesn't use that area as RAM (i.e. doesn't write to it), you should be able to make a reproduction by making an CNROM-368 board.

Otherwise, you'll need to add battery-backed PRG-RAM instead.
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

What about the ffe file that gets seperated? Does that not contain information relevant to the game? I am assuming here that w/out that file the game will not work.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Yes. Exactly. That'd need to be inserted into part of the PRG to make a CNROM-368 PCB, or copied into the RAM on a battery-backed PRG RAM PCB.
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

Unfortunately I am not on this level yet. Now you have me trying to understand what a digital magnitude comparator is. Not to mention having to rearrange the code before programming. What has this thread got me into LOL.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

In this case, the "digital magnitude comparator" is just a clever trick :p

It tentatively looks like a CNROM-368 build is actually feasible in this case, as I just modified a copy of fceu to support it to test.

To make the PRG image to burn, you'd want to pad the original 32 KiB of PRG up to 64 KiB, and then insert the FFE file's contents at offset 0xF000 (61440)

Wiring would be as in this post: viewtopic.php?p=94322#p94322

Not bothering is a fine option, too.
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

lidnariq wrote:In this case, the "digital magnitude comparator" is just a clever trick :p

It tentatively looks like a CNROM-368 build is actually feasible in this case, as I just modified a copy of fceu to support it to test.

To make the PRG image to burn, you'd want to pad the original 32 KiB of PRG up to 64 KiB, and then insert the FFE file's contents at offset 0xF000 (61440)

Wiring would be as in this post: viewtopic.php?p=94322#p94322

Not bothering is a fine option, too.

Quitters don't learn :)

Ok so I have never done anything like this. I loaded the ffe file and copied the code and then I opened the padded prg file and pasted the code. Will that work? Of course I don't have any 27c512 chips at this time.

My question is pasting there overwrites existing code. If I go down farther there is a 01f0000 that is all empty?
coding.jpg
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

icemanxp300 wrote:My question is pasting there overwrites existing code. If I go down farther there is a 01f0000 that is all empty?
Did you pad the file by duplicating it? If so, overwriting it is fine; the second copy is going to be entirely ignored. (You could also just leave the entire second 32 KiB of data blank, save for what you inserted from the FFE file)

Alternatively, you are working on the extracted PRG file, not the NES file, right?
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

When I used Famirom to split it I chose change eprom target size to 64k instead of 32k or 27c512 instead of 27c256.

I just check the code and on the 32 prg file it stops at 07ff0. I checked the code on the 64k prg file and it starts duplicating at 08000. So I am fairly sure it duplicated correctly.

My next question for this is in my picture you see all the highlighted. For the last line 0f090 "d, e, and f" are filled with 00. I know you said since it's padded it doesn't matter but I just want to be clear those 00's are part of that code correct. I need to have those zeros there?

This really makes a difference as in the original ffe code there are many more lines of 00 I would need to copy in if they are needed. There are like 22 more lines of 00 before it goes to ff.

I will assume when I am ready I would just hit save and it would modify that prg file correct?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Ok, it sounds like Famirom does the duplication for padding. That should be ok, but irrelevant: You shouldn't need to care about the contents of the ROM image from offset 0x8000-0xEFFF and 0xF09D-0xFFFF; the romhack doesn't seem to use these areas. (Personally, I'd personally lean towards filling them either with 00s (so that it obviously crashes the game if it accidentally tries to execute from that area) or FFs (the erased EEPROM value)

(In fact, (C)NROM-368 makes the area from offset 0x8000-0xC7FF inaccessible, period)
coinheaven

Post by coinheaven »

what games use this board?
lidnariq wrote:"Train"ed games imply the presence of 512 bytes of RAM with pre-loaded contents, mapped from $7000-$71FF.

If the game image doesn't use that area as RAM (i.e. doesn't write to it), you should be able to make a reproduction by making an CNROM-368 board.

Otherwise, you'll need to add battery-backed PRG-RAM instead.