Is there any way to make a NES cart WITHOUT a donor?

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
andreja6

Is there any way to make a NES cart WITHOUT a donor?

Post by andreja6 »

I really want to make a NES cart for my own usage (NOT FOR RETAIL), and am looking for various ways. I have found many, but ALL of them require a donor. To me, this feels counter intuitive. You make a copy of a rare NES game for more NES games, but destroy an existing common game, rendering it rarer...

Any place to find the IC's, PCBs, and casing, so | can make MY OWN reproduction, and not a total Frankenstein's Monster of a game?
calima

Re: Is there any way to make a NES cart WITHOUT a donor?

Post by calima »

Certainly, for the most common mappers there's fresh chips being produced, with the patents expired. I'm not sure if anyone is selling them in qty 1 though, I've only seen cases sold in ones.

Maybe contact 8-bit evolution and see if they'll sell you some?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Infinite NES Lives and RetroStage produce all-new boards.
Drag

Post by Drag »

There are several discrete mappers used on the NES, which you just use common 7400 series ICs for. There are thousands of places you can get those, but they're usually sold in bulk and you might not always be able to buy just a single IC.

Other mappers on the NES are ASICs, like the MMC1, MMC3, the VRCs, etc. Those you'll probably need somebody's clone or a CPLD implementation.

The CIC clone, the PCB, and the shell, I'm out of the loop on who sells them anymore, but all these things were once sold, so you might be able to find them secondhand?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Secondhand means donor.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Not necessarily a donor cart; I was talking about RetroUSB's repropaks. Someone might've bought some extras and are interested in selling them, or have put them up on ebay or something. In this case, "donor" would mean a person. :P
getafixx

Post by getafixx »

As Tepples mentioned, you can buy new cart shells, new PCBs and CIC chips from either of these places:

RetroStage

InfiniteNESlives
Amacias

Post by Amacias »

In China (Aliexpress) here is a company called "PocketGames" that makes carts with New Boards and MMC3 based, you can send a ROM and they makes a game,

Now they are selling the famous Rockman Minus Infinity mapper 4 version

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 01562.html