It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:46 am 

Some sites suggest that the Miracle Piano did, but the manual shows that it connects to controller port 1.

Some sites mention modem prototypes and I saw some homebrew projects that take advantage of it. But, I can't seem to find any commercial devices that required it. And, in later versions of the NES, the case was modified to no longer expose the port, further suggesting it's lack of necessity for anything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:51 am 

IDK, but I thought the 'original' plan was for the Family Computer Disk System...but that idea got dropped from all US releases.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:14 am 

Nothing commercial used it. The ENIO is it, as far as I know.

You could make an adapter to use Famicom expansion stuff with it, if you wanted, since it's mostly the same port just in a different physical shape.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:17 am 

dougeff wrote:
IDK, but I thought the 'original' plan was for the Family Computer Disk System...but that idea got dropped from all US releases.

The disk system didn't use the expansion port on the Famicom. It wouldn't have needed to on the NES either, really.*

I think the SNES' expansion might have been planned for an eventual disk drive, but I wouldn't presume they had any definite plans for the NES' expansion port.

Edit: * Audio expansion is a notable exception, see below.

Last edited by rainwarrior on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:51 am 

Oh, I see, the FDS used some special cartridge. It just looks reasonable to me...the way it is usually pictured sitting just below the famicom, that it was plugged into the expansion port. But it wasn't.

I found some mention of a modem that was developed for it, and some other people thought it might be useful for expansion audio.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:17 am 

I thought we had tentatively agreed that the EXP pins on the card edge / expansion port were probably going to be what the mythical FDS-for-NES was going to use to connect the Disk System cartridge to the disk hardware?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 am 

dougeff wrote:
I found some mention of a modem that was developed for it, and some other people thought it might be useful for expansion audio.

That's the ENIO, isn't it?

The primary function of the expansion port on the Famicom was for replacement controllers. I think the expansion port was basically just there vestigially, so it could support anything the Famicom had if it needed to.

Since the NES fixed the design flaw of hard-wired controls, there was just never a need for a controller expansion port, and since the rest of its function was basically inconsequential, there was never a need to use it.

The change to the audio path is strange, though. That's the one thing an NES disk system might have needed the expansion port for. No way to do expansion audio through a cartridge alone. I think Nintendo as a developer was kind of disinterested in expansion audio after the FDS though, so maybe they just didn't care about supporting it. Konami and Namco were using it, but Nintendo never made a cartridge game with expansion audio. (Edit: Okay they did it once. Tepples points out below.)

Last edited by rainwarrior on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:24 am 

lidnariq wrote:
I thought we had tentatively agreed that the EXP pins on the card edge / expansion port were probably going to be what the mythical FDS-for-NES was going to use to connect the Disk System cartridge to the disk hardware?

I remember a thread where we discussed how it could be connected. I'd definitely still agree that it could, at least, but I wouldn't presume that they thought it was the purpose of the connector or had a sound plan for it. (Not sure if I ever thought differently about this in the past, though.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:29 am 

rainwarrior wrote:
dougeff wrote:

I seem to remember there was some sort of lottery network thing.

Quote:
I think Nintendo as a developer was kind of disinterested in expansion audio after the FDS though, so maybe they just didn't care about supporting it. Konami and Namco were using it, but Nintendo never made a cartridge game with expansion audio.

Nintendo published Chatnoir's Shin 4-nin Uchi Mahjong, the sequel to Hudson Soft's 4-Dick Uchi Mahjong, but that was Nintendo's only MMC5 game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:35 am 

tepples wrote:
Nintendo published Chatnoir's Shin 4-nin Uchi Mahjong, the sequel to Hudson Soft's 4-Dick Uchi Mahjong, but that was Nintendo's only MMC5 game.

I stand corrected. I didn't realize that one was Nintendo published.

Why did you stick a dick in there?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:18 am 

rainwarrior wrote:
tepples wrote:
Hudson Soft's 4-Dick Uchi Mahjong

Why did you stick a dick in there?

Because of how badly the 人 kanji on the 1984 edition's title screen was mangled.

When koitsu brought it up last time, Bregalad wrote:
I can't see how it could look like a "jin" kanji to any extent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:49 am 

tepples wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:
dougeff wrote:

I seem to remember there was some sort of lottery network thing.

It was the Minnesota State Lottery which partnered with Nintendo to try to bring gambling to the living room of its citizens, but it was never released. It did sit underneath the NES, as you can see from the photographs here :

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/44263- ... f-the-nes/

http://kotaku.com/5838193/when-nintendo ... can-homes/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:53 am 

That reminds me of my favourite unreleased NES peripheral:

http://kotaku.com/5939210/this-long-los ... h-your-nes

(I don't think it was intended to use the expansion port, though.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:49 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
The disk system didn't use the expansion port on the Famicom. It wouldn't have needed to on the NES either, really.

The audio input is only present in the expansion port. Also, remember this: the FDS used the cartridge slot, but you could fit anything easily there with the Famicom. Try fitting anything other than a cartridge in the NES, especially anything that needs a cable going out. So it's likely the expansion port was needed just to make the thing fit in some way =P (and would have probably need a redesign in consequence, as well)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:57 pm 

Just a wild guess (or actually from something I've read but could no longer point out where it's from).

As the NES was originally marketed as an "Entertainment System"(obvious, eh?) not unlike A/V systems such as VHS players and Hi-Fi's, etc., instead of a video game console(because of the previous video game crash blah bla bla, and the inclusion of the robot in the initial runs was also because of this AFAIK), they might have planned to release some expansion peripherals to enhance the "Entertainment" part(and that unreleased gambling expansion might also be one of those).

One such possibility might be a karaoke expansion, which contained controls such as an equaliser and music (played from audio tapes, maybe) mixed with a mic input to be passed into the expansion audio pin. This obviously didn't kick-off(Karaoke was not even a thing in the west BitD).