Planning

Moderator: Moderators

Rahsennor

Re: NesDev compo 2016

Post by Rahsennor »

Is there any rule against collaborative entries? It might be a good way for less experienced people (like me) to get a foot in the door.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Rahsennor wrote:Is there any rule against collaborative entries?
No. I had graphics and music help for RHDE, which placed second in 2014.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Rahsennor wrote:Is there any rule against collaborative entries? It might be a good way for less experienced people (like me) to get a foot in the door.
If I remember correctly, previously in these cases it was up to the collaborators on how they wanted to split any winnings.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

So, where do I find the rules of the compo and the proposed categories, and the deadline ? I'd like to know if I can participate, and if so, how many entries.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Bregalad wrote:So, where do I find the rules of the compo and the proposed categories, and the deadline ? I'd like to know if I can participate, and if so, how many entries.
There has never been a restriction on the number of entries. 2 categories, NROM (same rules as last year) and anything goes. Since the end of December is not a good time to end the compo, I'd like to propose January 31st as the deadline. I've been working a full week of 12 hour shifts so I haven't had much time to draft something up. I will try to put together a complete document asap.

Everyone else OK with a Jan 31 deadline?
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Jan 31st sounds good!

The only limitation we had with multiple entries was that you could only place once per contestant. For example if your games judging score put them at 2nd, and 3rd, you'd get 2nd place and the 4th place score would recieve 3rd.
Last edited by infiniteneslives on Thu May 05, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
freem

Post by freem »

I'm fine with January 31st as well... Hope to actually finish something this time around, now that the development period is longer.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Jan 31st is perfect.

To sum it up and to get everything clear... so we have "NROM" and "Anything goes", but there's also a 64K restriction for the games so they can be included in the cart, isn't it?

Appart from that, you can enter as many games as you want but you can only opt to a prize.

I gather that the multicart will be using the same Mapper 28 as always and that the same guidelines apply.

Then, I'd say we pretty much have the rules already sorted out!
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

If there is time, I might make an NROM game as well with some simpler concept. That's a good category split.
pubby

Post by pubby »

NESHomebrew wrote:I think for now you can base it off the existing rules from the past compo with 2 categories. NROM and Anything Goes.
By NROM do you mean NROM-128? Allowing NROM-256 in that category seems less interesting...
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

The category is NROM-256 (unless I'm severely mistaken), but nobody's stopping you from making an NROM-128 game if that's your desire. If you're asking why the category isn't more restrictive, the concern is that we don't get a high enough volume of entries; it's a lot harder to make an NES game than a Ludum Dare game.

I presume NROM-368 is excluded from this category. (As an aside: has anyone ever used NROM-368 for something?)
tepples

Post by tepples »

Thwaite won the 2011 compo as NROM-128. But then LAN Master was the only NROM-256 entry.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

NROM (128-256) should only be a suggestion. You're welcome to use the chr-ram with BNROM. UNROM, ANROM, etc. or even banked "CHR-ROM" via CNROM/GNROM up to 32KB chr which mapper 28 supports.

The 64KB limit is based on summation of prg-rom and chr-rom. So games that use chr-ram (chr-rom = 0KB), have a prg-rom limit of 64KB. There's 32KB of chr-ram available in 8KB banks, feel free to only use a single 8KB bank though.

You're correct, NROM-368 is not supported.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

infiniteneslives wrote:There's 32KB of chr-ram available in 8KB banks, feel free to only use a single 8KB bank though.
However, is it legal to utilize this? It would offer a significant advantage to those who do.

As long as the rule is the same for everyone I'm cool either way.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

So in short, this is a mess and nobody knowns the rules yet.

That doesn't matter, I'll have to prepare one or two entires, and if they don't fit any category they could go in the "anything goes" cathegory.