Have a Homebrew? I'd like to help the world know it exists.

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeGtake2

Have a Homebrew? I'd like to help the world know it exists.

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Greetings everyone - I'm currently working on the documentary The New 8-bit Heroes, which is all about the post-market NES development community and a glimpse into the passion that goes into these projects. In short, if you have a game, I want to feature it.

The film has gotten some great support from influential creatives, both gaming personalities (James Rolfe, Pat Contri, John Lester, Normal Caruso, and others) and some with a significant professional resume (Adam Goldberg, creator of ABC's The Goldbergs; David Sardy, film composer, Zombieland, Premium Rush, End of Watch, and producer of artists such as Red Hot Chill Peppers, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine; 21 time best selling fantasy novelist Piers Anthony).

We have traveled around the country highlighting homebrewers, and so far have been able to include much of the community; Dain Anderson (Nintendo Age), Brian "Bunnyboy" Parker, "Memblers", "Tepples", "Kevtris", "Shiru", "Sivak" (Battlekid), John White (Assimilate), Derek Andrews (Nomolos/Owlia), Kevin Hanley (KHAN Games), E.B.D. Holland (Swords and Ruins), Rachel (Electronic Sweet-N-Fun Fortune Teller), Andrew Reitano (Super Russian Roulette), Eli (Piko Interactive), and Rob Bryant/Sly Dog Studios (The Mad Wizard) to name a few (I'm sure I'm leaving a few off as well).

We are reaching out to anyone else in this community who may be in the process of creating or has created a post market NES game that may be in a showable state. We would like to highlight it in this project. My goal is to bring awareness to the art of this as a whole as well as to you inspiring developers who are devoting yourselves to these amazing passion projects.

Posting a message like this is about the only way I can think of to communicate with everyone and invite you all to get in touch. To be as clear as possible, if YOU have a project that you are excited about, even if it is in an early state or unfinished or you're self conscious about it or whatever...if it is playable in any form and you are passionate about it, I want to help people to know it exists.

Please email me at Joe@TheNew8bitHeroes.com and let me know about your project.

Or check out the trailer at http://www.TheNew8bitHeroes.com.

You all rock.
Joe
tepples

Re: Have a Homebrew? I'd like to help the world know it exi

Post by tepples »

Is this just for games sold individually on cartridge, or also for games that are only available as a ROM download and/or on a community multicart?
JoeGtake2

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Hey friend! I'll probably go heavy on cart games, but i have no problem showing ROMs / community multicarts either. If it's postmarket for the NES, it has a place.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Hi, Joe.

We have released some NES games as ROM downloads, appeared in a multicart, had a successful crowdfunding campaign to release a couple of NES titles last year, and we are currently in the middle of another one.

check this -> https://www.verkami.com/projects/14731- ... mega-drive

This is our previous crowdfunding campaign -> http://www.verkami.com/projects/12948-v ... s-jet-paco (no english version for this one I'm afraid)

Besides, we are working on new titles. So you to know, if you are interested.

We've been releasing games for retro platforms for the last 10 years and have published around 50 titles for several systems, but we are kind of new in the NES scene. I'm not sure if we qualify as a topic of your interest, but had to pop out and say hi ;)
JoeGtake2

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Hey Nathan - I sent a PM, short answer for anyone who may be seeing this and in the same spot - absolutely, I am interested in what you're working on. Please get in touch via email.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Hello JoeGtake2,

I have a particular game project I've been working on since 2004. As you can tell, I am not progressing very fast on it. I might try to finish it this year for the compo, although I'm not so sure about that either. I plan to release it as ROM, and maybe also cartridges, although if I had to build them myself they would be expensive (I live in an extraordinary expensive country) and the logistics to distribute them worldwide would be hard for me to handle (since I have no experience in this kind of stuff).

I wanted to make everything as much secret as possible in order to surprise everyone on the release of the game, however I am fine with providing screenshots, and maybe small videos that reveals part of the gameplay.
JoeGtake2

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Hey there - thank you for chiming in! I'll take whatever you're willing to showcase and try and work it in. There are a few specific points where there may be the opportunity to show us playing and discussing games, which is what I'm really after (could be ROMs, if necessary), and we'd like to showcase any post market NES developer who is interested in having their work shown. I understand the desire for secrecy until a game is at a certain point, for sure, but if you did want to finally give a peek at the gameplay, this would be a great opportunity :-) We will not share the rom file or use it for any other purpose. So that's up to you.

Thanks again for responding!
DRW

Post by DRW »

If I want my game to be included, when does it need to be finished?
I'm in the final phase of my game: One last boss character and a good bunch of cleaning the code, but otherwise fully playable.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
JoeGtake2

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Hey DRW - it doesn't necessarily have to be finished...so long as it's playable, I can likely include it in some fashion. Do me a favor and hit me up in an email and we can discuss :-)

joe@TheNew8bitHeroes.com
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Bregalad wrote:Hello JoeGtake2,

I have a particular game project I've been working on since 2004. As you can tell, I am not progressing very fast on it. I might try to finish it this year for the compo, although I'm not so sure about that either. I plan to release it as ROM, and maybe also cartridges, although if I had to build them myself they would be expensive (I live in an extraordinary expensive country) and the logistics to distribute them worldwide would be hard for me to handle (since I have no experience in this kind of stuff).

I wanted to make everything as much secret as possible in order to surprise everyone on the release of the game, however I am fine with providing screenshots, and maybe small videos that reveals part of the gameplay.
I believe there are some publishers so that they take care of the building of the carts and shipping.

Two that I know of are Retrousb and piko interactive. Talk with them and see who will give you the best deal to sell your rom.